Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Found an Armortek Panzer IV

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Found an Armortek Panzer IV

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Jeff! Yeah, the lower end was just the usual bolting together kind of building. Now the UPPER seems like a regular 'jigsaw puzzle'. And if I want decent detail, that's another job that's getting larger as it goes.

I installed the driver side view ports, rivets, stuff like that. Washing the soap/oils off. Beadblasting. Today I epoxied the turret ring on the deck. Now I have to get miniature hinges so I can make the front/rears of the fenders work. And I'm still working on covering those machine lines. Oughta just put the putty to'em then make zimmerite. It'd be easier...

I've slowed down for a couple of days (hot and tired AND we got hay yesterday....) but I'll get back in to it soon and'll post some pics when I get something done that's worth seeing. This build'in a NEW kit is a lot more WORK than refurbishing a used one, I'm here to tell ya!

(and as in 'The Rough Riders' movie: Henry Nash sez, "I'm used to rid'in broke stock" and Capt. Bucky O'Neal sez, "Yeah, other peoples!".)

Last edited by Old MSgt; 06-21-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Jarlath

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
Yeah Jarlath, sorry to have ran on to it earlier, but that's what I've mentioned to those that want an Armortek: You have to look OFTEN and then be READY and QUICK! Cause if you hesitate to ponder, try to decide, or debate it, and don't respond first there'll be some other 1/6 enthusiast that will!

A few years ago, early Sunday morning, while surfing for 1/6, I came upon a Cactus Tracks 1/6 rc metal Stuart tank (which were made in California by Lake Isabella but aren't made anymore). As I said, it was all metal, had a 2 speed mechanical gearbox, looked and was priced GREAT!

The 'buy it now' ebay auction was only about two hours old. I GOT ALL EXCITED but thought, figured, yes/no, do we have room, what will shipping be from Chicago... STUPID stuff like that! After about 15-20 minutes I decided to grab it! Hit the 'buy it now'... and it was sold. THAT QUICK! Felt like 'CACK'IN'!... but it was my own fault missing it because I had to 'think about it'.

For years I've been looking (a 'few' times a day) for a used Armortek King Tiger, Sherman, or U.S. M3 halftrack but ran on others that were a good deal (both in price AND proximity to me). Now I'm trying to scrape up some more funds in case one of those I mentioned 'shows up' and I see it early!

Mike
Yeah... So I had to break down and put the deposit on that new Panther A instead...
Old 06-21-2016, 11:06 AM
Old MSgt

That's GREAT! The Panther is a fine runner and it's QUICK compared to the this old T1 I have.

And, as I've noticed with this Panther, if the tracks have the 'snow cleats' cast in to them, try to minimize any turns on pavement because it wears the cleats off QUICK. I try to go straight across concrete/asphalt then turn in the grass/dirt. This Panther has been ran very little but the inside cleats are about history.

You'll have a blast! Be sure to post pics of your Panther build on here cause we'd like to see!

I wish I could afford a NEW Armortek tank but that's why I look for used ones that are here in the U.S. Used ones usually already have the 'Motion Packs' in them so that helps out a lot on getting it MOVING!

This Panzer IV kit was a 'Static' kit without any motors. That's why it was so low priced even below what the original owner paid (with shipping) for it.

I don't need a heavy 'static' DISPLAY model so a few days ago I ordered the 'Motion Pack' but without the Armortek ESCs and wiring. I like Sabertooths instead for the simpler wiring AND 'cheaper'.

The Motion Pack (drive motors, elevation & traverse motors, mounts, etc) for this P4 (but WITHOUT the Armortek ESCs) came to about $1600 (with shipping.) I'm just waiting for UPS to deliver'em.

THAT'S why I prefer 'used' Armortek tanks. And if you could get a used Armortek (or kit) at a NICE price, you ought to try to get it. If it's static, you can paint and detail it then, when you have the funds, order the motors to make it GO. That's what I do cause I definitely ain't 'rich' (just retired).

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 06-21-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Old MSgt

The motors were shipped on Wednesday from Armortek in ENGLAND. They got here, to eastern Kentucky on FRIDAY afternoon. That's QUICK! Heck, I order Netflix movies from Louisville (about 200 miles away) and get them in two days. But we're talking ENGLAND (not 'England Ky, cause tha ain't one) here!

Anyway, this morning and, for curiosity, I weighted the drive motors. 6.14 pounds each. With that and the things I'm bolting on, this P4 is getting heavier.

I installed them and the outside gear ('bell') housings. Packed'em with grease, smeared a slight coat of RTV around, and bolted them on with all the holes available. There's some holes that are 'blind' and there's mention of 'dummy' bolts but I'm not going to install'em because there under the fenders anyway.

After I did the motors I've been doing the hatches/hinges. The fenders need to be cut off on each ends so I can install hinges/springs. We have a metal band saw over at the farm so I'll TRY to do that tomorrow. I have the hinges on order so...

I started to install the sprockets and put the track on'em BUT realized then it wouldn't be able to 'roll around'. It'd have to be DRAGGED around. I'll do the sprockets later when I hook the ESCs up.

I'm also waiting for little 6SI detail parts so I can put'em on the sides easier. I'm working on it every day but the little things seem to take a long time. And I haven't even messed with the 'lines' yet but have an idea (SANDER!)

AND, there's a 'little' design 'repair' I have to 'fix' that popped up. I'll show ya tomorrow.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	531
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2169646   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2169647   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2169648   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004S.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2169649  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 06-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Jarlath

Such a beauty!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Old MSgt

Today I installed the fenders and sides then when I went to put on the upper deck, it wouldn't fit... it wouldn't go far enough forward to align with the holes. I looked it over and those steel rear side louvers were back about 1/8" and that's what the hold up was..

I figured I'd just GRIND off some of the rear louver steel and see if that helped any. I didn't want to do it here in the house garage because of all the steel shavings and hot dust flying around (then on the floor, shelves, IN TO CANS, etc.). But if I took it out to the shed where all the 'heavy' tools are the mess wouldn't hurt anything.

I lowered the lift, backed the Panther off, then looked around for a rope so I could tow the hull out. Couldn't find one but I DID find the short kit tow cable. Thought that if I was towing a tank hull, might as well tow it WITH a tank!

Saved me a lot of bent over walking to 'lead' it and this did look kind of interesting...

Mike

Views:	597
ID:	2169742   Click image for larger version

Views:	637
ID:	2169743   Click image for larger version

Views:	520
ID:	2169744  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 06-26-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:38 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey Gramps! You're supposed to 'X' the cables when towing so the Panther can guide the '4'.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:23 AM
Old MSgt

Yeah, but the kit only came with one tow cable. I looked for a second but couldn't find one.

And the 'tow' was for up hill. Going down was WILD and I did have to try to hold it back! It rolls as smooth, quick, and fast as a skateboard!

I mentioned how easy this rolls but it almost got loose taking it off the lift! As soon as the first two front roadwheels went over the edge of the table it was 'OFF TO THE RACES'!

I used this 'tow' for 10% practical use and 90% JUST FOR FUN!

Last edited by Old MSgt; 06-27-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 AM
Old MSgt

It's been almost ten days since I last showed what's got done so far so here's some pics. I work on it every day, some a little, most a LOT. Worked LONG hours yesterday so I'm taking it easy today.

Today I decided to take the 'diamond plate' out of the package cause it's almost time to start attaching tools. The brass plate is VERY thin and delicate so in the pics I've just sat it on to see how it fits. I'll have to loosen the upper hull to slide it back under it some and'll probably use epoxy when I finally install it.

I got some copper angle and made the deflectors that go around the turret. Put 'rivets' in places and on the spare road wheel mount. Got the rear almost done but it'll look better after it's weathered.

Building the lower hull and suspension was a BREEZE! All the straight/threaded holes lined up great! THEN I started on the upper and the NIGHTMARE BEGAN. The two front curved sides did NOT want to align with holes. Realized it was the rear 1/8" steel louvers so (as I mentioned) I ground some of them off but that only helped a little.

The curved 3/8" thick aluminum sides up front wouldn't fit the upper deck. One wasn't bent enough at the curve and the other was bent too much! Found this out by taking it all apart and holding them side by side. Frustrated (AND tired) I tried a few things then said 'FU... 'fudge' IT!'

I toted the sides and top deck out to the shed to the 12 ton pump press! Put a 5" round roll of aluminum under the one needing bent OUT and gave it a good press on the curve. Finally got both right but I was worried during the whole time that when you bend thick aluminum it could CRACK or spall. Luck was with me!

On the 'design problem' it's the gap left when the final drive bell is installed. (and YEAH, I got the holes lined up right because there AIN'T no other holes) Don't want dirt/dust, rocks, stank bugs, frogs, going in and grease coming out so I cut two pieces of aluminum, drilled two holes in each (cause each bell has empty holes there anyway), smeared the edges with 'rubber' seal, and installed'em.

I have mentioned that this kit doesn't come with the turret/side hull shields. But a week ago I was glancing at the tank sites and on the
FOA facebook site saw they'd just CAME OUT with the P4 shields.

So, being the IDIOT I AM (to make more work later!) I ordered a set of the turret shields. I was surprised when it got here cause it's thicker sheet metal (heavy!) than I thought it'd be.

And the lower side shield mounts were in the box too. I'm only going to do the turret shields because I like to see the tracks/suspension. I'll (try to) install the turret shield toward the end of the build.

I'll post more pics later on (if I live that long!) Mike

Views:	512
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2171539   Click image for larger version

Views:	479
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2171540   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005S.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2171541   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006S.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	2171542   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2171543   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-008S.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2171544   Click image for larger version

Views:	495
ID:	2171545   Click image for larger version

Views:	471
ID:	2171546  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-06-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

This is coming along GREAT! I just wish I had the room. LOL

2 M5's are about what I can handle.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Old MSgt

Here's some quick pics I just took to show how far the build has come so far. I have all the wiring done and it 'runs' fine but I haven't taken it off the swivel lift yet. I'm still waiting for a couple more detail parts to get here so, in the mean time, I've been making some detail mounts, painting, JB Welding, fitting, etc.

I received the hinges/springs for the ends of the fenders and got'em on. Made the front and two rear fender brackets. Made a thicker, stronger front spare track bar across the front (cause the original was extremely thin.) Ordered a 'more correct' bow MG mount (cause Maus45 was kind enough to point out that the original was LOUSEY and I agreed!

Just wanted to let ya know how this build is going. More when there's something worth seeing... I should have it driving around soon.

AND, does anyone know the color of German fire extingushers? I can't find out what color to paint'em...

Mike (Tired in Kentucky...)

Views:	471
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2176072   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006S.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2176073   Click image for larger version

Views:	472
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2176074   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009S.JPG
Views:	472
ID:	2176075   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2176076   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-010S.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2176077   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-011S.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2176078   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012S.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2176079  

Click image for larger version

Views:	463
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2176080  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 08-09-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Did we forget something? The photos???!!!

I see Mike got the photos in.

Wow. That looks great. Amazing detail. One of these days ...

Last edited by Crius; 08-08-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Panther F

Originally Posted by Crius
Did we forget something? The photos???!!!

Awe, OH BOY! This looks GREAT Mike!

Like a kid looking through the hobby store window!

Jeff
Old 08-07-2016, 01:01 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Old MSgt

AND, does anyone know the color of German fire extingushers? I can't find out what color to paint'em...
Looks awesome!

I was under the impression the fire extinguishers were either panzergrau or dunkelgelb...essentially the base coat colors of the tanks. For a Pz IV it could go either way depending on when the tank was built and what was on the shelf at the factory.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Old MSgt

Thanks Jeff. Ya know, a couple of weeks ago it dawned on me that I SHOULD HAVE did one more detail and I'm KICKING myself but it's 'Too Late In The Ball Game' now.

I wish I'd have made those rear side louver doors... It wouldn't have been too hard (soldering brass squares on a rod) but I was in the 'thick' of FIGHTING with those steel louvers, trying to get'em fit. And to do it now would mean a total upper deck teardown. And I sure don't want to get in to that!

The original kit had the recessed smoke discharge mortar to go in the hole on the roof but I ordered the 6SI fan cause that's correct. Also got the FOA cupola cause it's more detailed.

I ordered a 24v cooling fan, sealed off the upper rear deck, installed the fan, and when I turned it on it BLOWS! It's one of those $14 120mm fans that moves 97 CFM! Kinda startled me when I first turned it on and thought it'd BLOW the two steel rear deck doors up! But they lay solid AND there's LOTS (!!!) of air blowing out the vents and the rear side louvers! It'd blow the fur off'a possum!!!! It'll sure keep the inside cool! (if it don't suck the commander down the hatch!)

I think the 'next BIG fight' will be seeing if I can get those turret side shields bent right and fit on. Getting'em 'horseshoe' bent right may take some figuring.

Heck, all I'd have to do is put the tracks on, get it off the swivel, and take it for a drive but it's so much easier to paint and do detail stuff when it can just be twirled around on the pedestal. (And it's getting heavier!)

Mike

Views:	480
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2176104   Click image for larger version

Views:	460
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2176105   Click image for larger version

Views:	481
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2176106   Click image for larger version

Views:	453
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2176107  

Last edited by Old MSgt; 08-07-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Old MSgt

Thanks Philipat!!! I'll paint it that. I've been looking for the decals that go on the extinguishers and have been watching that German decal company (Peddinghaus) to see if I can find some.

AND, I wish I could do as good of Panzer IV detail as YOU!

Mike
Old 08-08-2016, 03:49 AM
Panther F

Well, at least no dirt or dust will get in!

And Jarlath...

... you MUST show your Panther A build HERE! (that is one premo tank to have and build)

Jeff
Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 AM
Jarlath

Oh it will be on here. Looking great BTW. I somehow doubt that I'll have the mentality or patience to go to the huge amount of detailing that you are doing on that Pz-IV.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:15 AM
Old MSgt

PATIENCE??!! I'm the WORST at patience! And my wife will totally agree that I'm 'mentally light'!

I mentioned that I was just going to do a 'basic' build to get it rolling but there's a lot of 'lag time' in getting detail parts delivered. So I've just been using scrap metal to make and solder tool mounts together to keep me 'on the clock' building it. Seems like 'small' additions start to 'snowball'.

And this is just a average build, cause look at those builders on the Armortek forums and I want to go hide in a culvert somewhere. I'm building an r/c tank that will look decent, plow thru weeds, sand, mud, and be fun. But some of those builders are 'rivet counters'! (and I mean that in a GOOD WAY, Rivetcounter!)

Either I make stuff and do little things or I sit in my plastic rocker in the garage, listen to the Classic Rock station, and drank bee... er.. ah.. COLD CANS OF REFRESHMENT! (and that don't sound like a bad idea right now...)

AND Jarlath, I do think that it IS a LAW somewhere that you HAVE to post pictures and text covering yer build of a tank on this forum for the real smart members to see and enjoy. ...pretty sure I saw or heard of that stipulation a few years ago...

Last edited by Old MSgt; 08-08-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Eddyk

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

It's really FANTASTIC TANK!!!!