Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mato m36 b1

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:27 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Mato m36 b1

Finally I had a chance to make some progress on the m36, thanks to Ian I got myself a shiney new ibu3 installation proved fairly simple, alas I couldn't get it configured properly as my work laptop wouldn't let me install the software. Hopefully I can get a video of her running soon. Getting a Tamiya speaker to fit proper proved difficult with the henglong rotation fouling it. So I had to cut most of it off. In retrospect it would have been easier to make a new speaker box. I've also removed the incorrect travel lock of the glacis.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:47 AM
Tanker 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at that tank myself. But I can't decide to go RTR or do what you did and get an IBU. My first and last experience with a Clark board was terrible. I have four IBU2's and they are great, but will they fit without too much trouble?
Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Joe, did you see the video of my Stug with the IBU2? I stood it up on its side and it slipped right in there. I have an Imex Sherman that currently has a TK22 but I've been wondering if I can get an IBU in there. A lot depends on the configuration of the underside of the upper hull, and if there are no major clearance issues I think it will work. From looking at Tom's pix I think you could velcro the case right to the side wall with no problem.

Hey Tom, Jackalope just took delivery of an M36, you guys should drag race for pink slips.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 AM
jackalope43

Yeah I got the RTR to try the Clark board and I hate it. The controls are goofy IMO, I'll never get another Clark board unless they can configure the controls to work like my IBU'S do.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:56 AM
tomhugill

Hey gents, the ibu3 fits fine. I had to grind afew mm off the centre suspension collar but nothing drastic but it does mean I can get a big speaker enclosure in. Gary, I did think about putting the ibu on its side, it should work and would give a bit move space. If your not a fan of the Clark and are using ibu id for that route. I'll race for pink slips but I can't promise I won't use 3s
Old 06-11-2016, 06:32 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by jackalope43
Yeah I got the RTR to try the Clark board and I hate it. The controls are goofy IMO, I'll never get another Clark board unless they can configure the controls to work like my IBU'S do.
Thanks Terry, that's the kind of feedback I need. I was thinking of giving the Clark board another try but not now. I've never had a problem with an IBU2.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:35 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Hey gents, the ibu3 fits fine. I had to grind afew mm off the centre suspension collar but nothing drastic but it does mean I can get a big speaker enclosure in. Gary, I did think about putting the ibu on its side, it should work and would give a bit move space. If your not a fan of the Clark and are using ibu id for that route. I'll race for pink slips but I can't promise I won't use 3s
Thanks Tom, IBU will be the one if I decide on the M36B1.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:36 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by Crius
Joe, did you see the video of my Stug with the IBU2? I stood it up on its side and it slipped right in there. I have an Imex Sherman that currently has a TK22 but I've been wondering if I can get an IBU in there. A lot depends on the configuration of the underside of the upper hull, and if there are no major clearance issues I think it will work. From looking at Tom's pix I think you could velcro the case right to the side wall with no problem.

Hey Tom, Jackalope just took delivery of an M36, you guys should drag race for pink slips.
I must have missed that one Gary, I'll find it and take a look.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:02 AM
jackalope43

Yeah I'll never get another Clark board.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

You saw it, Joe, or at least that jtracks character posted in the thread.

But ... just to refresh the old memory banks,

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=33&t=18206
Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Gents just wanted to let you know that I will be getting the IBU3 in stock here in the US as soon as possible.
Very Excited to add this to my IBU product lineup. I will continue to carry the IBU2 Base/ Pro boards as well...

Jerry
Old 06-12-2016, 04:58 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by Tanque
Gents just wanted to let you know that I will be getting the IBU3 in stock here in the US as soon as possible.
Very Excited to add this to my IBU product lineup. I will continue to carry the IBU2 Base/ Pro boards as well...

Jerry
Do you load the sounds on the board?
Old 06-12-2016, 05:01 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by Crius
You saw it, Joe, or at least that jtracks character posted in the thread.

But ... just to refresh the old memory banks,

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=33&t=18206
Yes, I went back to youtube yesterday, found the video, and after a few seconds realized that I had seen it. You're right about the old memory banks however.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 AM
jackalope43

IBU2 won't fit unless you turn it long ways then the battery can't fit. How'd you mount your IBU3? I have 1 I can try but sadly my M36B1 was broken right out of the box. I pulled the tracks to start painting it and found the left side center suspension mount was loose, upon closer inspection and a little wiggle it fell right off in my hand but the piece that goes through the hull and it's lock were still there. The suspension part was broken in 2! All the screws are either cross threaded or have stripped heads but they're all crazy glued in so they won't come out! Very frustrating! The .50 cal machine gun mount broke when I was installing it as well, this one is easy to fix but as of now my brand new $700 tank is sitting in its box waiting for Mato to contact me as to what we can do about the broken suspension. Very bummed out, not the quality I would expect from a $700 tank. Forces me to re-think weather or not I want to get their full metal STUG or not.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 AM
Tanker 10

That's too bad, I've been in your exact position. My 1st T-34 was broken when I got it. Two attempts to fix it by the seller didn't work. I finally got a new tank. I hope it works out for you. Till then, my order will be on hold.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 AM
jackalope43

Yeah my full metal STUG is now on hold till I see how this turns out. I'm sure it'll all work out its just a pain in the butt till it does.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
Do you load the sounds on the board?
With the IBU2 board the SD card as issued has all of the sounds available on it and
I've been delivering those with the basic sound set at the root of the card.

The IBU3 uses the PC /USB interface and GUI application to configure the sound set( a much better way to do
this IMHO) so I've not yet decided how I'll offer these yet. I've not yet got my allotment and so haven't
had the opportunity to take one out for a test drive. I've just grabbed the GUI so I can see how that works at least.

Jerry
Old 06-13-2016, 04:42 AM
Tanker 10

Please excuse the ignorance, but GUI= what?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 AM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
Please excuse the ignorance, but GUI= what?
Graphical user interface, IIRC. Just the software you use to program it. I've had a look at it and it looks pretty straight forward.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Graphical user interface, IIRC. Just the software you use to program it. I've had a look at it and it looks pretty straight forward.
Thanks Tom.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:07 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I loath the mato metal chassis. My first gear boxes were junk. They ate themslevs and i tried to fix them. Forget it. So i bought new gear boxes and they have already developed problems. The pinion gears are spinning on the motors. The set screw is rammed so tight into the pinion it will not come loose to slide off, file a flat spot on the shaft and put back. Some of the same problems in had on the first set.

Also, dont take your gear boxes out more than once. The holes are short and they strip very easily. I had to drill and tap for 4-40 longer screws to keep the gear boxes mounted tight.

it all may not matter for me any way now, my Jumbo and all my tanks were severly damaged in an accident by a friend. I have not looked at it since and have doubts about repair of the upper hull and turret mech so it might just get scrapped when I can put some time into it. But it will be last, i have to fix the rest that got damaged first.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:23 PM
tomhugill

https://youtu.be/tJeYeSfYfo8

Here she is in action, chassis is excellent gearboxes lovely and smooth, ball bearings on each axle really help keep things smooth. The other one on the firefly seems equally good.

Sorry to hear about your woes rich but maybe they aren't wholly representative of the mato metal tanks.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:59 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I believe there are good and bad prodcuts from every company in general.
i feel the gear boxes are hit and miss, good design, poor qc.
Another draw back is you cant get other brand gear boxes installed wihout total re engineering.
I like the adjustable idler and tracks and suspention bogies. BUT makre sure you oil the wheel shafts on the bogies. Mine gaueld and froze up both front bogie wheels on its first trip on tne field. Had to force turn them with oil to get them rolling again.
Overall wish I had used a taigen lower.

dont mean to hijack your thread, the tank looks great. I just wanted to post some experience.
i have a spare lower if you want to build another.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:02 PM
tomhugill

No worries Rich, good to get a different perspective on it. Interested in the chassis, could you drop me a PM?
Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Tanker 10

Nice video and a very nice tank destroyer. I didn't catch a barrel recoil but know it has it when purchased RTR. Have you not sorted the recoil yet or did I just miss it in my envious stupor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.