Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long M3 Grant M3 Lee 1/16 Super Detail..ANYONE ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long M3 Grant M3 Lee 1/16 Super Detail..ANYONE ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Let us know how that looks, I might go down that route as well...
Old 06-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Jhdumas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will Do... Joe : )
Old 07-01-2016, 12:45 AM
Afrikakorps

Hi All,
I purchased the Lee conversion ( Hungary ) from the first batch that he had for sale some months ago.
Haven't started it yet, couple of other projects to finis first, but I also thought that the grant turret ( UK ) was a little oversized.
I would be interested to see how you build goes Jhdumas, and what you do for elevation and traverse.
Not sure if any of you have seen inside the grant. Here is a pic.
Look forward to seeing your work.
Cheers
Afrikakorps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	grant.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2170608  
Old 07-01-2016, 02:57 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrikakorps
Hi All,
I purchased the Lee conversion ( Hungary ) from the first batch that he had for sale some months ago.
Haven't started it yet, couple of other projects to finis first, but I also thought that the grant turret ( UK ) was a little oversized.
I would be interested to see how you build goes Jhdumas, and what you do for elevation and traverse.
Not sure if any of you have seen inside the grant. Here is a pic.
Look forward to seeing your work.
Cheers
Afrikakorps
I built the same resin kit from Hungary and it's really nice, different Lee / Grant though from this seller. I ordered a special Grant turret from Warren / Woz who does 3D printing who is on RCU and it really turned out awesome.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:59 AM
Jhdumas

HERE.. HERE.. Woz is a God!..I have been looking into the Grant turret and comparing it too the the Woz Turret (I have both).. they are very, very close in size.... I first thought that Warrens'' was smaller, but after closer inspection.. they are pretty-much the same size.... I think two different people, ending-up making

a 1/16 Grant Turret.. ending-up independently being the same size is enough for me... as for the upper turret gun elevation.. I don't see how it will work..there is simply no room and is most-likely above my pay grade to pull-off.... one more point is that the 75mm gun is a bit on the large size.. Woz made a great set of

Grant and Lee 75mm barrels,, This will also be a must-do mod. I also have a set of 1/16 Grant Sand-Guards and the correct early M3 suspension (top return roller units) and have already made the correct British M3 tracks so it appears that I have everything to do a proper early Grant,, now I just need the time to do

it....I have found that acquiring the necessary parts for various vehicles has become a favorite past time for me... my list of builds is quite long..

as for the Hungarian Lee kit.. from what I can tell after comparing it with scale drawings.. it also seems to be right.. (meaning most points and initial mesurements line-up except the height)...although it appears to be correct... it still looks to be under sized.. I'm starting to think that I am just not used to seeing this

vehicle in 1/16 scale... it s an odd bird for sure. Perception is reality and Ex-Pat seems to agree... so he says he removed the lower lip and it helped... I may also do that.. but am still on the fence..

having said all of this... did anyone think 5 years ago we would have such problems... take it from an old timer.. being able to even imagine having a large RC Grant is amazing.. When I was young there was the Tamiya Tiger I... it was over a 1000 bucks (mid-70's dollars) completely out of the reach of nearly

everybody..

I think we can safely say that we are in the middle of a Golden Age for RC tanking...

Joe

P.S. does anyone who made the 1/16 Hungarian Lee have any photos?...

Last edited by Jhdumas; 07-01-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:07 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhdumas

P.S. does anyone who made the 1/16 Hungarian Lee have any photos?...
Here you go

http://can-amrctankclub.canadian-for...o50-s-m3-grant

Video inside that thread too. I did servo elevation through my Clark board and I get about 45 degrees up-barrel... :P
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Jhdumas

Strato... I remember well your brilliant build. I followed it intensely...I don't remember if I thanked you for sharing it with us or not.. so here is is...THANK YOU!... you solved many of the problems and your Grant is the standard bearer...

Did you ever get the upper turret gun to elevate? I ended up picking up two of the Hungarian conversion Kits (one for a Lee and one for a Grant)... I got as far as doing the correct M3 (center top return roller) conversion.. and British

Track Pads as well as picking up a set of sand shields with stowage bars.... then came the UK Grant / Sherman conversion.. although I wasn't thrilled to buy another one... I ended up picking one up... You can put me in the positive side

with this kit... what I like most about this conversion is:

1) there is no need to cut the hull to fit the Motor / gears...

2) same goes for the upper turret .. it fits without cutting the top hull cross member.

3) the 75mm does elevates and rotates and (if you want) .. shoots.. but no recoil

4) the upper turret does rotate, but the gun does not elevate..

Call me lazy.. the kit is, for the most part, finished......

After speaking / emailing with the guy who is producing the Grant in the UK, I asked him what was next? He said a Centurion...

I said that WWII era tanks really sell the best and that there is a whole group of people that will wait in-line to get them...

My suggestions were an M-10 - Sexton / HL Sherman Conversion... or a Chaffee / HL Walker Bulldog Conversion... I also suggested an M-18 Hellcat (least likely as the base chassis is a problem)

so.. I did my part... I guess we now wait....

I'd love to have an M-10 or a Chaffee..

Happy 4th

Joe

P.S. does anyone have any of the Hungarian Lee Conversion Kits finished as a Lee?

Last edited by Jhdumas; 07-01-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Cruiser133

Did you get my message on your other kit?
Old 07-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Jhdumas

Cruiser.. No.. I didn't.. Joe