Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

off topic --- D Day flag sold at auction

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

off topic --- D Day flag sold at auction

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default off topic --- D Day flag sold at auction

I think this should have stayed in a US museum.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/06/91978-2/

rex

Last edited by Rex Ross; 06-15-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

My question is how do priceless items like that even go to auction? It should have been preserved and in a museum 60 years ago...
Old 06-15-2016, 11:56 AM
wright 971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Should be in the Utah Beach Museum the only place for it.

regards pete
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Because someone took it down after the invasion and put it in his foot locker and took it home and told his kids his story.
There would need to be a good paper trail to prove it was the first boat into utah beach. That is very hard to prove at a collectible standpoint.

i have dealt with some museums for pricless relics, and sometimes, its better off not being in a museum. Museums cannot display their whole,collections, and some cannot care for or preserve everything donated to them. Some sell pieces at auction to generate revenue for more centered pieces.

If you ever donate a relic to a museum make a stipulation that it must be displayed or returned to the family, and not sold if you truely care for the piece.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:45 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! Not sure how I feel about the auction? What a Flag!, I tend to think it should be in a museum in France!
Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 AM
scottkillingbeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am a bit divided. On one hand that seems like a relic that should be here in a museum. On the other hand it sounds like the individual that purchased it has a connection and a true appreciation for it.

"Last year I visited Normandy in person with an uncle of mine. This was a very emotional trip; family members of ours were killed during the bombing raids on Rotterdam in 1940. Those who survived suffered hardship beyond belief, especially because of hunger during the ‘hunger’ winter of 1944.’‘These family members survived thanks to the liberation made possible by all of those who participated. We owe a lot of gratitude to all those nations, but in particular the United States."

If it's kept in an allied nation, it's promoting remembrance of our veteran's sacrifice and good will for our country, it's probably in the right place after all. In my opinion.