Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Bearing kits for 1/16 scale tanks.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Bearing kits for 1/16 scale tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Panchoplanet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing kits for 1/16 scale tanks.

Hi, new to forum from NYC. Have been looking around for a source for bearings in order to retrofit bushing for bearings but no luck finding any.
Did look in sticky "manufacturers" but no luck. Have seen some listings on eBay/aliexpress but not helpful.

If anyone has a source or link it will be greatly appreciated.

Pp.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Can you be a bit more specific about what bearings you need? For the axle or the roadwheels, or what? There are some good axle support bearings available but if you want bearings for roadwheels, like on the Tamiya Pershing, that's a different animal. These guys surely know where to find what you're looking for, but more info will be a big help.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:34 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boca bearings have always been great to me. Prices and service.

All you need is a micrometer to measure what you have any thy have everything you'll ever want: flanged, sealed, etc.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are bearing kits for some tanks, particularly the Tamiyas. But, you need to be specific about which tank you want.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Panchoplanet

Thanks guys for all your responses, I'm in the beginning stages of overhauling my vintage early 80's Tamiya Fakkpanser Gepard and would like to replace all bushings with bearings.

Am also preparing to order a new Torro King tiger from Imex and will want to do bearings in the gearboxes and replace any other bushings I encounter.

Pp.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Pancho Hi,
Welcome to the Forum,
If you check the spec sheet for the "IMEX" Torro King Tiger I am pretty sure the gearbox comes all bearinged up and if not the options list will show at least one upgrade Gearbox with a full bearing suite,.
Shaun.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:33 AM
Panchoplanet

After some research and phone calls found out that the Torro King Tiger comes with the initial run steel gear box with bushings vs the V2 updated gearbox (painted black) gearbox that comes equipped with bearings.

Pp.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VXB Bearings will have everything you need. you will just need to know what size as these are sold separately , not in kit form. but they do have many different types and grades. I usually get the Teflon sealed bearings, you can even get ceramic bearings if you really want to go nuts.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Panchoplanet

Thanks Panther G, will check them out. Don't think I need ceramics since I won't be drifting.

Pp.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by Panchoplanet
After some research and phone calls found out that the Torro King Tiger comes with the initial run steel gear box with bushings vs the V2 updated gearbox (painted black) gearbox that comes equipped with bearings.

Pp.
I thought they came with V2s if you get the tank from Imex in Florida. My Jagdtiger came with the latest V2 Gearboxes and I got that quite some time ago. I thought Imex was going to start shipping all their JTs and KTs with V2 GBs, but I could be wrong about that.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Crius

And even if the KT comes with the earlier steel GBs with bushings on the gearshafts and bearings at the axles they're still a darn good gearbox. I have several sets of those and haven't had a failure yet.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Panchoplanet

Yeah I spoke to Erik at Imex and confirmed it was the early version gearbox with bushings.
No biggie, I always prefer bearings over bushings for smoother operating and prolonged battery life.

Thanks for the input.

I have some time before ordering tank let alone bearings, involved in a project that has me on the road, so won't be home for another 10 days or so.

Pp.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got bearings a few times from Avid Bearings, they have a good selection and pricing. Measure everything with a micrometer first!
Old 06-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Panchoplanet
Yeah I spoke to Erik at Imex and confirmed it was the early version gearbox with bushings.
No biggie, I always prefer bearings over bushings for smoother operating and prolonged battery life.

Thanks for the input.

I have some time before ordering tank let alone bearings, involved in a project that has me on the road, so won't be home for another 10 days or so.

Pp.
As far as gearboxes go the bushing versions aren't AWFUL, that being said the versions with bearings in the final drive are still twice as good as the bushing ones. The version with bearings on every single shaft are maybe 1.5x better than without