Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What's a good source for all things concerning "Tank electronics"?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What's a good source for all things concerning "Tank electronics"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Panchoplanet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good source for all things concerning "Tank electronics"?

I have been into things rc for over 40 yrs, and have some extensive knowledge when it comes to rc'ing planes, heli's, car/trucks, drones and even dinosaurs but I'm way behind on tank tech.
I built a 1/16 scale Tamiya Flakpanzer Gepard back in the early 80's (no sound / no smoke) and still have most of it, but kind of got away from tanks for a long time and I'm having trouble trying to figure out all the boards and gadjets that I keep hearing about in articles or YouTube.

I have seen some great videos showcasing some of these products as far as installation, mods, run demos, availability, but nothing explaining what they are or why you would want this device for your tank.

Have tried Google but most (99.8%)of the times all I get is "where to buy" info and even manufacturers are vague about there product. I'm looking at purchasing a torro king tiger BB version soon and would like to get all the upgrades I can with the tank.
Not sure what these boards are supposed to do. Are they upgrades that replace factory boards?
Or do they enhance the factory board working in conjunction with it?
Sound boards? Main boards? Cutting boards?

I need some 411 on upgrade electronics.
I searched the forums but nothing.
This would be a great candidate for a sticky.

I can't be the only person thinking about this, I was at a toy trade show in NYC a year ago and saw some rc' tanks on display by some Chinese manufacturers but the girls at the booth could only offer buying and shipping info, didn't get any info on products.

So if anybody can help with some info or a good link, It will be greatly appreciated.

Pp.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I am not really sure what you are after but you could always try-----
www.rctankelectronics.com
Shaun.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Not certain if you are located in the US/north America or elsewhere?

I don't usually do this but I'll suggest my own site as I do offer the IBU series of tank electronics.
You can find my store's URL in my signature. I have both Base and Pro IBU2 in stock and should
get the IBU3 boards soon.

Jerry
Old 06-22-2016, 05:40 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, there really is no good source of all the info, because the industry is in constant flux and different users have their different favorites, so there's never a consensus. Any stickies of manufacturers quickly becomes outdated.

In a nutshell, Tamiya started the genre and set the standard for 1/16 RC armor. Heng Long (probably what you encountered at the trade show) came along and offered a low cost/low quality toy version of Tamiya in ready to run (if you're lucky) format. They also produced a Pz III and StuG that wasn't a Tamiya knockoff. Trumpeter produced a RC version of their T-34 kits under the WSN label.

Then small companies came along to improve the HL experience, most notably, the DBC system which used HL's RX-18 control board and made it both Tamiya compatible (IR battle) and hobby grade Tx useable.

Separately, El Mod designed a few different boards for different models that offered all the DBC did and more, but never really caught on in the US. They still make boards for different models and are excellent.

Then Dan of Battle Armor put the DBC and Benedini systems together into a nice package that combined the original, plus the use of the Benedini sound system.

Similarly, the IBU and Clark boards were developed as well as others that developed simpler boards that eliminated some of HLs bad thing, but not quite bringing them up to the same level as the DBC, IBU, Clark, etc.

On top of that, Taigen and Mato came along and updated the HL experience with better hulls and customer service. Adding cost in terms of price, but creating a much better experience out of the box. They rely on their own transmitters and aren't Tamiya IRT compatible, but they work, unlike 50% of HL out of the box (my experience was 75% failure rate OOB).

Then there are the gearboxes, etc that crop up too to fill the voids and shortcomings.

All the while, Tamiya hasn't changed at all, they just release a new kit every 18 months or so.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but every short while a newer option or version pops up and theres always the Arduino that can be adapted to armor functions.

Best bet is to decide on what you want to do, i.e. IR battle, just drive around?
Then how detailed you want to go in terms of function and sound, then how much you want to spend.

Last edited by ausf; 06-22-2016 at 05:43 AM. Reason: stupid spell check
Old 06-22-2016, 07:18 AM
maillemaker

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good write-up AUSF.

I, too, am confused about all the electronics options. I hear about Clark boards and IBUs and stuff but I have no idea what the differences are or how big a deal these things are to retrofit into a Heng Long tank. There seem to be so many choices I just get into decision paralysis and stick with the existing electronics.

Steve
Old 06-22-2016, 07:36 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it can be very confusing on how to proceed with an electronics upgrade. As Ausf Pointed out, first decided what your going to do with your tank. Battle, sunday cruise in the backyard, rock crawling, chase cats/squirrels out of the yard, have young kids play with them, etc. Then what kind of budget you have to spend on upgrades. After that we can really narrow down to some point where you should look or research into. Here are some websites of board you could look into. Really the first thing you may want to look into are good gearboxes and metal running gear (suspension arms, sprockets, idlers.) If you keep breaking down mechanically it doesn't matter what electronics you have, its a pretty paper weight.

IBU3 - http://www.rctankelectronics.com/ibu3.html

Clark board - http://clark-model.com/eng/index_e.html

Asp from RC Tanks Australia - http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=260

El Mod - https://www.elmod.eu/product_info.ph...sihqnjisl4ubb6

BARC4 (DBC and benedini sound card) - http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/inst...-graphics.html

Last edited by TheBennyB; 06-22-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Panchoplanet

Thanks Ausf, your reply was very informative and answered some of my and probably other forum members questions. There are tons more information out there that can clarify allot but its not easy finding it.
I had found jcsastore.com in previous searches and similar sites , but still left scratching my head.

The tank products that I saw at the toy show looked like HL tanks but the company names don't ring any bells {doesn't help that I can't remember them} , these where mostly new companies trying to setup business here in the USA.

Anyway I'm open for input, so if anyone can share or recommend, it will be appreciated.

Pp.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:41 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll try to be brief because I really only know about my own Clark experiences, I have 12 of them, and they are super simple and easy to go, inexpensive, and work. IBU and DBC, that new Aussie board the ASP, are all actually more technically interesting, usually have better sound and more features but are notably more expensive. Clark's are nearly plug and play. They will work straight away for driving functions, but you might need to do some soldering / modifying your tank to get full Infrared combat functions.

To answer an earlier question, yes most people these days totally replace the stock "Toy ish" electronics with something akin to a Clark board (Or the others mentioned), which allows you to use a nicer, sometimes fancier, hobby grade radio. Same radios you'd use for R/c aircraft. This allows some of us to play with radio settings to get even more custom control from our tanks, like dial-controlled servo elevation and simpler firing (push buttons) and gun barrel elevation setups. There is still nothing wrong with using a very simple Spektrum DX5 radio, with 4 channels, that costs well under $100 though.

Pancho, the King Tiger you're thinking about is actually a very VERY solid runner. It uses the same legacy of design features that started out with a company called Asiatam, out of Germany (weird I know). They took the existing form factor of Heng Long tanks which opened up R/c tanks to a MUCH wider audience by dropping the entry level model price about 70%, and started producing higher quality parts and entire lower metal hulls with correct torsion bar suspension for tanks like the Panzer 3, KV-1, Tiger, etc. Taigen has now taken up that torch and added the T-34, Sherman and soon Panther F 'metal hulls' to their lineup.. all designed to work with HengLong upper plastic hulls. You can upgrade tanks piecemeal or go all out at the start, and the electronics, turret rotation / elevation & motor systems are all generally cross compatible. I'm not Tamiya expert but I believe that most of their tanks are tank-specific as far as gearboxes and electronics are concerned... correct me please

Hope this helps a bit
Old 06-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Strato50

My favourite vendors in no particular order that I often get parts from, or entire tanks and hulls, are such...

RcTank.de (German) The best service ever. Selection of excellent tank packages and parts.

TankArmy (Australia)

OzArmour (Australia)

WelshDragonModels (UK)

Mato Toys (Canada, USA?) Look up Rc Dynasty on eBay, that's them.

HobbyRaw (China) Nice selection of parts, often free shipping, entire 'upgraded' plastic hulls, small plastic parts, wheels.. all kinds of tank stuff.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM
Panchoplanet

Thanks Bennyb for the links, as far as the tank goes I'm going with the torro King Tiger metal edition, would like a gearbox with bearings but not possible at present, I will have to retrofit later.
And as usage goes I'm just going to cruise it around and chase squirrels out of the yard and sit it on my coffee table as a centerpiece lol, my oldest son has my competitive nature so I can't go lite on my first tank build because he will try to top me, so I need to do my homework.

Pp.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Panchoplanet

Good thing you where brief Strato50 otherwise I would had missed lunch! Lol.
Your info and user experience is appreciated, I have looked at all your recommendations except HobbyRaw but will check them out. China is a good fit for me since my wife does business with China apearal factories and will be traveling there in the future.

Radio wise I have a flysky Fs t6 and plan on using it with the torro KT.

Thanks again for your input.

Pp.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Have you looked at my youtube channel? I've done side by side videos on the IBU and TK22 and i have a couple Asp videos up there as well. I've covered stuff like doing your own slip ring and swapping gearboxes and improving mounting points on some tanks and setting up for an FPV system and a plethora of other crap. In case you've never been there, here's a link

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH8...kqoLJ6KcUvfflQ

The first thing you need to ask is: What do I want my tank to do? Some features are important to one guy but not so much to another. If you plan club battles you need a complete different tank than the one used to scare the bejeezus out of the squirrels.

I have Clark, IBU and Asp boards in my tanks, so if one of those interests you I probably have a video. I also have videos for radios, and stuff like making your own self centering levers.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Panchoplanet

Yes, I have seen your YouTube channel and I find it very informative.
I'm leaning towards the ibu board because of its features.

Thanks for the input.

Pp.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Crius

The Asp has more features than the IBU, but to tell the truth I enjoy driving the IBU more and it's a lot simpler to set up. I have an IBU2 in my Jagdtiger with the TPA amp and separate vipers for volume control from the TX for both sound channels and it runs on a Flysky i10 so I've added servo operated bow machine gun and I still have channels to play with. I'm thinking about a TC with rotating head, like the ones Ausf does. Kevin has a very cool video of a board that rakes the MG34 automatically and you apply firing at will. Have you seen that? I plan to investigate further. As long as I can still operate it manually when I want to I may install one of those if Kevin brings them to market.

The MG mod was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and the slide switch on the i10 is the perfect control.

Here's the MG mod, and since then I added the second viper on the third pot, still saving the second for the TC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqz3GuxjZKI And this is a fresh clip of the JT, one of many little clips that will eventually get strung together into a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sA1SSQt5rQ

Last edited by Crius; 06-22-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Crius

What Radio will you be using with the King Tiger? How much extra stuff do you want it to do? With your experience you may want to add a lot of bells and whistles? Will you get a new TX for the tank or use one you already have?
Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Panchoplanet

I plan on using my flysky FS T6 , six channels would give me some flexibility like volume control from the transmitter and maybe a sweeping machine gun.

I have been using this radio for a couple of years now and may keep it as a tank dedicated radio. Will buy additional receivers for other tankside.

Pp.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Panther G

The more i use it the more impressed i am with the BARC/ Benedinni system Dan puts together and i am a dedicated Tamiya electronics fan. Most of my own builds use Tamiya just because it is a simple package that is the standard, but many newer systems have so much more to offer you really need to know what you want from your tank.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:14 PM
Crius

That's a good TX, and will do all you need with an IBU (if you go that route) but if you're going to have a dedicated TX I'd suggest the TGY i6. Very sweet radio and with your experience you should be able to handle the mod to make both sticks self centering. It only has one pot but with my TPA amp I use a viper for volume control of the engine sounds and control gun sounds with the stock volume knob on the tank. Works well, and then the switch can be set to fire cannon, or whatever you want. The i6 is only a few dollars more than the T6 or HK 6S at about $50 US. I run my Mato all metal Panzer III on that TX and it's a real sweet radio. Not as nice as the Flysky i10, but still nice. The PzIII has a TK22 and it's a pretty good match for that tank. I'm not the biggest fan of the Clark boards, but they are a reliable board that can't be beat for size and when space is tight that can be invaluable.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Tanque

The 9x radios, now the 9xPro is just killer for these models. Ivano got me started looking at the 9x paradigm and I was a Futaba Fanboy since I started in RC. Not anymore.

Check out the 9xR Pro
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=51442

I know the Pro version above is fancier and has a USB port already installed but still the
9x itself is a great system AND programmable, HK's US arm still has 'em for 69 bucks...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19673

And before Erik mentions the FrSky Taranis again... THAT is a cracker radio. bought one with
aluminum case and it's powerful good looking and programmable.

I sort of feel sorry for Futaba.... not- they refuse to see anything but aircraft fliers.

Jerry
Old 06-25-2016, 08:37 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was always a futaba, spektrum fan boy. The Flysky line has a very user friendly interface. In my opinion it still does have somewhat of a" toyish" feel though with regards to weight, feel, button push. Good system for price point for sure, still don't trust it to put up my quad/fixed wing with a gopro though.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:46 AM
Strato50

You know what I absolutely hate about Turnigy radios... Channel 1-6. Wait, which one is aileron again? Throttle is 2, or 3...? AURRGGGHHHH.... trying to troubleshoot someone else's tank is a complete nightmare I hate their menus.

Spektrum
Old 06-26-2016, 07:43 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Panchoplanet

I can't be the only person thinking about this, I was at a toy trade show in NYC a year ago and saw some rc' tanks on display by some Chinese manufacturers but the girls at the booth could only offer buying and shipping info, didn't get any info on products.
Offhand, I wonder if you were at the February 2015 Meadowlands Exposition Centre - Westchester Radio Aero Modellers show? IMEX came up from Florida and Erik and his Bossman manned the booths quite a lot that weekend. If you were there, you must've been unlucky not to meet them - or Bob who was running some tanks representing NEAD (North East Armored Division). Any of those guys could have supplied you the information you were looking for.

The guys who posted before me have covered everything. You might want to pm thecommandernj on these forums (he's Bob) to see if there's an upcoming NEAD meeting if you're in the NY area; they operate out of the northern New Jersey area.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:26 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by cleong
Offhand, I wonder if you were at the February 2015 Meadowlands Exposition Centre - Westchester Radio Aero Modellers show? IMEX came up from Florida and Erik and his Bossman manned the booths quite a lot that weekend. If you were there, you must've been unlucky not to meet them - or Bob who was running some tanks representing NEAD (North East Armored Division). Any of those guys could have supplied you the information you were looking for.

The guys who posted before me have covered everything. You might want to pm thecommandernj on these forums (he's Bob) to see if there's an upcoming NEAD meeting if you're in the NY area; they operate out of the northern New Jersey area.
Holy Smokes, look whose around!

I thought you'd be managing a forest somewhere by now.

Unfortunately, there's been no NEAD activity in the area since you left.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by cleong

Wow, I guess they do have the internet way out in BFE.

It's really great to see a post from you, Leong, and I hope we'll see more. Maybe with tank photos?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Strato50
You know what I absolutely hate about Turnigy radios... Channel 1-6. Wait, which one is aileron again? Throttle is 2, or 3...? AURRGGGHHHH.... trying to troubleshoot someone else's tank is a complete nightmare I hate their menus.

Spektrum
That why using eepi on a PC to configure a er9x based transmitter is so cool - you can use the
GUI eepi throws up to see exactly what the transmitter is up to without wading through the xmitters
menus.

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.