Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Maus - Dimensional Drawings?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Maus - Dimensional Drawings?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Are the tracks printed with a different material than the tank? Have they improved the strength of past printed parts?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Jarlath

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther F
Are the tracks printed with a different material than the tank? Have they improved the strength of past printed parts?
Heh. The tracks are proof of concept... Currently 3D printed using ABS.
I've also learned a lot about 3D printing in the last week... More a crash course than a gradual learning curve.

Once I get the tracks printed nice and to my satisfaction, I'll actually print a full set, plus every component for a mock up... I will however need to split up my armour plates...
The image shown is 200 micron rez, and my printer is capable of 100, so I should be able to get good quality. I'm still fiddling with surface layers, infil and such...
Old 06-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I ordered a 2017 hardbound book on the Maus a couple months ago that has specs and a lot of photos. It's 'Kampfpanzer Maus The Porsche Type 205 Super-Heavy Tank' by Michael Frohlich.

It's a 'revised' (in English I guess) edition that was originally published in 2013 as 'Kampfpanzer Maus' by Motorbuch, Germany.

It has a lot of technical data and the story of the Maus tanks, how they were designed, tested, and what became of each. It was pretty interesting to read!

Mike in Kentucky
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Jarlath

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
I ordered a 2017 hardbound book on the Maus a couple months ago that has specs and a lot of photos. It's 'Kampfpanzer Maus The Porsche Type 205 Super-Heavy Tank' by Michael Frohlich.
It's a 'revised' (in English I guess) edition that was originally published in 2013 as 'Kampfpanzer Maus' by Motorbuch, Germany.
It has a lot of technical data and the story of the Maus tanks, how they were designed, tested, and what became of each. It was pretty interesting to read!
Mike in Kentucky
Yeah. I bought that book as well. A lot of images I had never seen before and very good for history and details. Placed the order for it on June 27, 2016, received it on February 28, 2017.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:09 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi, If you don't mind paying for the fully detailed BLUEPRINT then you should go to ---
www.the-blueprints.com
Type "MAUS" in the box and click, you will find a wide choice of sizes.
Shaun.

Last edited by jarndice; 06-13-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Jarlath

Originally Posted by jarndice
Hi, If you don't mind paying for the fully detailed BLUEPRINT then you should go to ---
www.the-blueprints.com
Type "MAUS" in the box and click, you will find a wide choice of sizes.
Shaun.
I can get all those drawings from the internet already... None are true blueprints, just profile images and external views.
They are also all in the above mentioned hardcover book. I'd love to be able to get in touch with the author however...
Old 06-20-2017, 03:26 AM
Dropship Ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an excellent build, your 3D mock-ups look so well made and neat compared to by jumbles of funny looking slabs. What program are you using? Also how do you intend to get it all fabricated? I find it hard to find any machinists and cutters willing to give small hobbyists the time of day here in Aus, with a few exceptions.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 AM
Jarlath

I'm designing using Unigraphics NX 8.5. Older program used by work. I actually have just finished converting all my "Slab armour" into STL files for printing. 59 pieces to print.

Two piece for the turret glacis. As for the actual manufacture of the components. This mill (see attached Image) is on order already. Just getting my garage in order...Already have a 12" shear/bender, and a plasma cutter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2220967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2220968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2220969  
Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to your progress!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Dropship Ace

Jealous. You have all the toys I want, but can't have cause of no man-cave.

Can't wait to see the first chips
Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 AM
novaris

does anyone know where I can find juckenburg resin kit?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 AM
novaris

Originally Posted by heavyaslead
You may want to try getting these tracks:

https://www.rapidonline.com/modelcra...lastic-51-1640

The sprockets are part 451

These I used for my Maus build and are 68mm which is very close to 16th scale and look close to the actual track too.

Here is a link to my build if you need some ideas:

Maus Build - SEAD
any progress?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:31 AM
novaris

Jarlath,

any updates on the build?

I've been looking everywhere for a 1:16 rc maus tank. Will you be releasing or selling the stl files for the printable parts and plans for the rest of it? I would love to build one.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Jarlath

I've had some complications with the "workshop" I had planned.... So until next year there is no milling machine forthcoming..
I've started 3D printing some components, (Turret sections, some of the upper hull deck). My search for people to create my tracks out of metal had become void with the one who was willing in the beginning trying to alter the design to suit their manufacturing capabilities... So that part had stalled. I MAY order a set of Hooben Maus Tracks (230USD), but they are not a true scale version, just a simplified, squared off version...

It is on a back burner, not forgotten... I also need more than an hour here and there to splice the stl's for printing...

I have not yet thought about it regarding STL. The initial design is still for Aluminum, with the STL's being thrown in for proof of concept. But compared to the Hooben Maus, Mine is stupidly complex and scale...
Old 10-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Jarlath

Oh and I still have my Juckenburg Maus in kit form (unmade) but when I get around to selling it, I believe that Crius has dibs however... It shall remain unassembled in my possession as I am using it strictly for reference.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:25 AM
novaris

Originally Posted by Jarlath
I've had some complications with the "workshop" I had planned.... So until next year there is no milling machine forthcoming..
I've started 3D printing some components, (Turret sections, some of the upper hull deck). My search for people to create my tracks out of metal had become void with the one who was willing in the beginning trying to alter the design to suit their manufacturing capabilities... So that part had stalled. I MAY order a set of Hooben Maus Tracks (230USD), but they are not a true scale version, just a simplified, squared off version...

It is on a back burner, not forgotten... I also need more than an hour here and there to splice the stl's for printing...

I have not yet thought about it regarding STL. The initial design is still for Aluminum, with the STL's being thrown in for proof of concept. But compared to the Hooben Maus, Mine is stupidly complex and scale...
I was considering ordering a maus tank from hooben but their prices are quite high. i might get it if i had more info on the quality but now that you said the tracks aren't scale....

so you want to cast/produce the tracks out of metal? why not 3d print it out of castable resin/filaments?

Oh and I still have my Juckenburg Maus in kit form (unmade) but when I get around to selling it, I believe that Crius has dibs however... It shall remain unassembled in my possession as I am using it strictly for reference.

How much did you get it for? I saw one on ebay but the prices were too high and the sprockets and tracks used are from the KT so it isn't accurate.

Last edited by novaris; 10-13-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Jarlath

Originally Posted by novaris
I was considering ordering a maus tank from hooben but their prices are quite high. i might get it if i had more info on the quality but now that you said the tracks aren't scale....

so you want to cast/produce the tracks out of metal? why not 3d print it out of castable resin/filaments?.
They are close.. But they all look as thought they followed the 1/6th scale Mark I cast tracks or the . The additional traction cleats on the main track surfaces are HUGE. The track is also rectangular when the bent up ends are flared... So they are close, but not completely scale (my models are taken from the scale drawings available in Kampfpanzer Maus, a great reference book)
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2010.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	2241153

Name:	inital10.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	2241154
This was my 3D printed Maus Track prototype for size and function (and feasibility in ABS material). As I plan on a production version from aluminum, I will need stronger tracks to lug the 17-22kg tank around...

How much did you get it for? I saw one on ebay but the prices were too high and the sprockets and tracks used are from the KT so it isn't accurate.
Suffice to say that, I'll never tell you how much I paid for it... (Honestly, it shouldn't matter if I paid 5% or 200% of retail... It will however sell at what I deem acceptable to me at the time...) KT tracks are shorter by nearly 200mm IRL, 1.25cm at scale... That's pretty big.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:27 PM
novaris

They are close.. But they all look as thought they followed the 1/6th scale Mark I cast tracks or the . The additional traction cleats on the main track surfaces are HUGE. The track is also rectangular when the bent up ends are flared... So they are close, but not completely scale (my models are taken from the scale drawings available in Kampfpanzer Maus, a great reference book)
Attachment 2241153

Attachment 2241154
This was my 3D printed Maus Track prototype for size and function (and feasibility in ABS material). As I plan on a production version from aluminum, I will need stronger tracks to lug the 17-22kg tank around...
What I mean is, print it in castable resin/filament then build a sand mould out of it, melt the resin/filament out of it then pour molten aluminium into it.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What I mean is, print it in castable resin/filament then build a sand mould out of it, melt the resin/filament out of it then pour molten aluminium into it.
Like lost-wax casting.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 PM
novaris

Originally Posted by Maccrage
Like lost-wax casting.
it is.

I didn't want to use a fairly technical term in case others don't understand this method.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 AM
Jarlath

Thread resurrection!

I may as well have a long overdue update. As many of you know my Maus project was put on hold in late 2017...
Not a lot was done as I was hunting down sources to make my 1/16th scale tracks out of metal (Preferably not zinc, but aluminum or other durable, long lasting alloy)

Name:	p6260812.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	2267689
Some of the RC stuff that is in process... (Some... Like you see under 1/2 of it)

Name:	p6260811.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	2267690
The Juckenburg Maus sitting on a separate shelf awaiting additional use and a future owner...

Name:	p6260810.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	2267691
The Maus 3D prototype as currently sitting in "storage" Thankfully not much dust

Name:	progre17.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2267692
The original 3D modeled tracks showing inward flex.

Name:	p6260813.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	2267693
The 3D printed tracks (held together with straightened paper clips) showing the same flex.

Name:	progre11.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2267694
Original modeled tracks showing typical rolling flex

Name:	p6260814.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	2267695
The same set of 3D printed tracks curled up (not tightly mind you).

Name:	p6260815.jpg
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	2267696
Up against the Sherman for a track size comparison. Maus tracks are HUGE...

Name:	p6260817.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	2267697
The Maus Turret... (And some upper deck pieces)

Name:	p6260818.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	2267698
Top plate removed... Note that all 3D components are printed to scale armour thickness.

Name:	p6260816.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	2267699
Scale opening under the front mantlet as per Maus specifications. That is 240mm of scale armor!
And the Germans made a bunch of these turrets....
There were supposedly 5 hulls welded together and even more turrets (Sans inner guts)

Name:	p6260820.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	2267700
Turret placed upon the Sherman for a scale comparison...

Name:	p6260819.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	2267701
Inside of the turret, 3 sections for length, under the turret you see the 2 piece lower turret floor (That opening is scale)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:58 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for bringing the Maus back out!!! Hope you will have time to work on it now.