Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M16 Half-Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

At the end of the day, we all need to fit our toys into a budget - and there will always be the "how cool is this!!!" factor vs the "what can I actually afford...?" calculation to be made.
Don't let guys like Bret and I talk you into something that you can't afford, we are simply here to tell you what you can get for your money.

(@Bret, those frigelli actuators for my IDF Doobi build you suggested cost me the earth, you'd better get over here and see it in action some day ;-P )
Old 07-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Buggman60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just saying that this thing is new out of the box and is presently unusable. If any of you have ever rode motorcycles, you probably know what a "tank slapper" is. That is what the front wheels are doing as soon as I turn on the controller. Should I assume that the unit is defective? I have no problem with someone who wants to upgrade their units but this thing should work as advertised out of the box. An upgrade should be just that, not a requirement. Can anyone tell me how I might troubleshoot this issue?
Old 07-16-2016, 01:53 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your vehicle and TX batts are at full votage. Next make sure the TX antenna is screwed in all the way(if that's an option.) next would be to open it up and see if the antenna on the RX board is soldered firmly. Too me it sounds like a signal issue. Does it happen at distances or when your next to it? Could be a bum steering servo as well though haven't heard of that issue yet.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Buggman60

The Half Track is literally at my feet. I turn on the vehicle, nothing happens. I turn on the transmitter and the front wheels go crazy. However, I will absolutely follow your suggestions and thank you so much BennyB for your help. Will let you now if it works.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:58 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
At the end of the day, we all need to fit our toys into a budget - and there will always be the "how cool is this!!!" factor vs the "what can I actually afford...?" calculation to be made.
Don't let guys like Bret and I talk you into something that you can't afford, we are simply here to tell you what you can get for your money.

(@Bret, those frigelli actuators for my IDF Doobi build you suggested cost me the earth, you'd better get over here and see it in action some day ;-P )

Oh Martin, I know your woes. Just bought 8 at different stroke and ratios for different projects. Still cheap as hell in my book for their time saving and simplicity to throw into something. Would love to get over the pond sometime to hang and check out Bovington.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Buggman60
The Half Track is literally at my feet. I turn on the vehicle, nothing happens. I turn on the transmitter and the front wheels go crazy. However, I will absolutely follow your suggestions and thank you so much BennyB for your help. Will let you now if it works.
No worries. Also, Bob (thecommander on RCU) at rctankcommand where you bought it will help you out if you need part replacement.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM
Buggman60

BennyB, I see that you're in Pa. also. Which part of the state is West Grove in?
Old 07-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Would love to get over the pond sometime to hang and check out Bovington.
No matter where I am, or what I'm getting up to, my house (and my car) is yours
Old 07-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Buggman60

OK, so I just looked into the El-Mod board as a consideration but here's the thing. I need everybody to understand that I am a NEWBIE! As such, I ask that you be patient with me. Now, If I did go that route, what type of transmitter should I look for, keeping in mind that my budget is fairly limited.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

anything 4 channel will work - not too up on the latest US tech, but anything mainstream should work
Futaba, Spektrum. whatever you have.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:20 PM
Green Amphibian

I did notice that you stated that you turned on the track first and then the transmitter. Reverse that procedure and see if it helps by turning on the transmitter first.

Herman
Old 07-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Buggman60

OK, so I finally got the front wheels issue straightened out. Believe it or not, the issue had to do with the overall trim settings, not just the 'Left/Right" settings. I let the front wheels slap while playing with the other trim settings and finally got them to stop slapping. The bottom line is that I think you guys are absolutely right. The real answer here is to upgrade the board. Well, that will require a month or two of scraping and saving for the board and the PC link kit. When I am able to do that, you will probably hear from me again with more questions and help requests. Thanks again you guys. I really appreciate all of your help.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:48 PM
TheBennyB

Glad to hear you got it settled out. Here's a very dependable, basic 4 channel radio that alot of us tankers have used for years. Alot of people are getting into the more reasonably priced programmable radio's from Hobby king, fly sky, etc. They are great radios, but if your looking for just a steak and potatoes 4ch with analog trims this is a great radio and receiver. Bob at rctankcommand sells these as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-4YF-2...YAAOSw3mpXLf3B

http://www.rctankcommand.com/tank-radios.html
Old 07-16-2016, 06:54 PM
TheBennyB

BennyB, I see that you're in Pa. also. Which part of the state is West Grove in?
SE, about 40 minutes from Lancaster.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:55 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
No matter where I am, or what I'm getting up to, my house (and my car) is yours
Can you provide entertainment for a 6 and 3 yr old as well?.....he he. Thanks buddy!
Old 07-16-2016, 07:59 PM
Buggman60

BennyB, you are about an hour away from me. I actually remodeled a basement in Parkesburg years ago. I'm just on the other side of King of Prussia in West Norriton. BTW, I just read your entire thread on the Puma build. Can't wait to see it completed!
Old 07-16-2016, 08:22 PM
TheBennyB

BennyB, you are about an hour away from me. I actually remodeled a basement in Parkesburg years ago. I'm just on the other side of King of Prussia in West Norriton. BTW, I just read your entire thread on the Puma build. Can't wait to see it completed!
NIce! You'll have to come down to my place next time I have a fun run or just a free day. I have a r/c bashing area I turn into a battlefield for 1/16 IR tanks. Usually we just goof around and mess with other r/c stuff as well.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 07-16-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I've had issues with trim on both my stock halftracks, and I've found that it works best if I turn everything OFF and then set all trim knobs right in the center. Then turn on the vehicle, the TX, and work slowly from there to get the trim right. That's one thing that can be a real pain. One of these days I'll get the elmod for it. Also, the asp and possibly the IBU have halftrack mode. Just sayin'.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
NIce! You'll have to come down to my place next time I have a fun run or just a free day. I have a r/c bashing area I turn into a battlefield for 1/16 IR tanks. Usually we just goof around and mess with other r/c stuff as well.

When's the next fun run, Bret?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:11 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Crius
When's the next fun run, Bret?
Not sure Gary. Aug is busy and have Danville in Sept, maybe early Oct. when it cools a bit. Will let everyone know.