Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Why use two electronic sound boards?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Why use two electronic sound boards?

Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM
T Skaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why use two electronic sound boards?

Can some body tell me why some tank RC'ers are using 2 boards. Some guys are using the TBS with a Clark. Won't one just do the job? I'm trying to understand these electronics before I start purchasing them. Tim
Old 07-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are then they are only using the TBS. The TBS has better quality than the onboard systems that come with most after market boards, that is why the TBS is used in conjunction with it. The main board for function and the TBS for all the sounds.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:01 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by T Skaz
Can some body tell me why some tank RC'ers are using 2 boards. Some guys are using the TBS with a Clark. Won't one just do the job? I'm trying to understand these electronics before I start purchasing them. Tim
The various Control boards on the market have in a number of cases got an upgrade sound board available to work with the Board,
For the "IBU2" there is the "TPA",
The "CLARK" board as we speak is about to have an upgrade sound board made available,
The "ASP" and "ASP2" are both available with uprated sound boards should you see the need for them.
I suggest you go to "U TUBE" and listen to what is available, then work out things such as price and never forget the overall dimensions of the replacement board, because apart from the "CLARK" board the others are larger overall than the "RX18".
Shaun.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TBS has one of the best if not the best sound engine architecture Everything is flash memory on to the card so the response is immediate, giving you a super smooth engine rev run up. The reason some people use it with other boards is because it sounds so good. It is a sound and lighting board only. It has no ESC or IR capability at all.

However because the stock boards are so bad any of the 3 rd party complete boards are a big improvement, and for most people whether it is a Clark, Beier, IBU2,IBU3,Asp or Elmod, the improvement is good enough

Again Sollie doesn't sell these things and has used most of them, including building great sound files for most of them, so he knows that side of the board too.. Some have no interest in making their own files, so these facts about the boards escape them, and the sound architecture doesn't even get discussed. However if you happen to be one of those people who get something out of making your tank sound unique, the ease of generating your own sound files could be important.

You also have to be aware that on you tube you can make the card sound good, with long static start up files and preprogrammed sound bytes that you trigger from a switch. I have watched videos that really focuses on the start up sound, mg, or Cannon. These are simple files. For me it was the engine moving from idle through the rev band and back again. For me the deciding factor was how does the tank sound when you just move the throttle stick forward. Are you able to rev the engine with the throttle stick. On acceleration is the transition to running smooth with no annoying tone change or delay. These are the things that mattered to me and that is why I sold the TBS. Stopping and starting, how many variations do you need for a Maybach. A cold start and a warm start, and a shut down are probably enough. I know my vehicle makes the same sound starting over and over again, and the shut down is the same.

I used to be a music guy and would program a sound track in the TBS, but after awhile I got tired of this. I switched to using ambient battle sound instead of music. Voices are another thing that get old in a hurry. Sound cool the first couple of times but after that it just becomes an obvious recording from the tank.

Here is a Panther file I did up on the TBS, No audio editing , no preprogrammed engine sounds that need to be triggered from a switch. All the engine sound by just moving the throttle stick forward. The only thing triggered by a switch is the ambient battle sound.

First timer with sound maybe stick to a board that others close to you are using. You will have a lot of help. Failing that you need to find someone who gives great support, because all of these things have a learning curve and you will find way to mess it up and most probably will need to get it straightened out.

The TBS can be used with any of the other cards if you find you can't get it sounding good enough for your ear. I have built a lot of sound files and the TBS is a breeze compared to the others I have used. Having said all of this the sounds Sollie is producing from the IBU3 are good, and the ASP sounds good, but have no idea how much effort or transmitter switches you are flicking to get it to sound like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkBAG3UFuo4

Last edited by YHR; 07-25-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:04 PM
T Skaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Sir Dan, I am interested in the same sounds that you are interested in. The accuracy of the engine sound. Unfortunately there is no body else around me interested in RC tanks. Not even the local hobby stores. Zero help for me on this side. So I do appreciate your help!!!! Tim
Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T Skaz
Yes Sir Dan, I am interested in the same sounds that you are interested in. The accuracy of the engine sound. Unfortunately there is no body else around me interested in RC tanks. Not even the local hobby stores. Zero help for me on this side. So I do appreciate your help!!!! Tim
Welcome back to RC Tanking. We are still a fringe group and this makes it hard for retailers of tank and tank upgrades. I can almost guarantee that if a guy is selling stuff for tanks it is because he has a passion for them. The trouble with this is once the passion is gone there is nothing else to keep you interested. I think that is why we see so many tank suppliers come and go. It is said that the only reason Tamya makes 1/16 scale tanks is because the old man likes them. Once he is gone don't be surprised if the line dies too

Right now is the golden time to be in tanks, but I am not so sure this situation will be sustained for the longer term. That is why this forum is so useful. Without it and the other tanking forums we really would be a scattered group

Cheers
Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan's correct on so many points.

I've been playing bass a few years short of 40 now and have used the gamut of amps from the old tube Kustom and SVTs, to the new Apogee interfaces that I just run through an iPad to the sound engineer. I used to build my own stage cabinets, so I have an understanding of sound quality.

That said, the TBS is a remarkable piece of equipment. Unfortunately, even with a really good amp and the best Visation speaker you gan get, there's only so much performance you can get out of what can fit in a 1/16 tank model (even worse once you close it up). I only say that because you need to understand the limits before drop $400 on the board, amp, speaker and interface. The size limits only allow a certain range, if you choose to aim towards the lows for booming bass of the main cannon, you loose the highs that cut through. There's a reason why good stereo speakers have tweeters, mids and woofers, nothing will do it all. So we take a speaker smaller than a good tweeter and expect it to sound like all three while jammed in a moving plastic box. Well, at least I did and I know better.

Just trying to keep you from chasing your tail. I did. Don't get caught up in the youtube videos either, none do the TBS justice. Not only isn't the medium good for sound, the recording is suspect even if the guy knows what he's doing. There's a reason why professional singers aren't singing into a iPhone on stage. You tube reminds me of a TV commercial for a TV. How the heck am I supposed to tell how nice the picture is if I'm watching on my crappy set?

About tanks themselves: It's hard to keep the interest over a prolonged period. With AC, you can always improve your skills, with cars, etc, you can always race of go faster, etc. Tanks move slowly and do some stuff. Trust me, I love 'em, but there's only so much they do. That's why the guys who stick with it get into IR battling. It breathes air into the hobby. I couldn't wait to get the Tamiya Tiger I when it came out. I love that tank, built a small library on the subject, loved scale modeling, etc. When I finally got it, I marveled at the engineering, built it slowly, super detailing it with the Aber kit, followed other builds of it, etc. Loved it, absolutely loved it. Drove it around a bunch, then a little less, then maybe once every few months, then it sat. After a few years, I completely dismantled and rebuilt it as an initial. Drove that once or twice, back on the shelf. Then on a whim, I bought two battle units and holy cow did the flood gates open. Me and my sons when having such fierce battles I have to grind the Futaba TX sticks smooth because the pointed caps were slicing our fingers. I'm not kidding. That led to another three Tamiyas, a HL conversion, a Trumpeter/Tamiya conversion, a Kubel, a Schwimm...

Now my kids are getting ready for college, the local club hasn't met in over a year and the tanks sit again. I built a RC camera dolly, grabbed some small cameras for FPV, but nothing has held interest much.

In terms of Tamiya-san. Yes, according to his book, the Tiger I full Option was a pet project, he himself travelled around measuring existing examples back in the 80s. From a business stand point, it can't be profitable for them. Its too involved and too large for the return. They release a 1/48 Fieseler Storch kit for $75 and it can't be kept on the shelf it's so popular and that fits in a box the size of hardcover. Mr. Tamiya was a school boy during WWII, is semi-retired from the company now, I wouldn't count on him being around too much longer and doubt the FO tank line will last long after he does. I think the proposed Tiger discontinuation was the writing on the wall.