Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Will the TK22 together with the TBS eliminate the crazy tank recoil movement?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Will the TK22 together with the TBS eliminate the crazy tank recoil movement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 05:20 AM
T Skaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the TK22 together with the TBS eliminate the crazy tank recoil movement?

Anyone out there know if the TK22 mated with the TBS eliminate that crazy recoil movement of the tank? Or would I also need to add the ATRC board? Trying to learn the capabilities and limitations of these tank electronics. Tim
Old 07-30-2016, 05:30 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The TK22 has adjustable track recoil. You can turn it off with a sony remote programmer. It doesn't matter if you have a TBS or not. I've also heard there's a TBS clone on the market that does the exact same thing for about $20, compared to over $100 for a TBS.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:07 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THe Clone that is out there is the MICRO not the MIni. Less functions, less memory, no lighting features and zero instructions. It is tiny though. Size of two thumbnails. Good luck if you buy that. Benedini quit producing it and pulled his instructions down as they had the gall to have a link to his site for instruction. A Chinese unauthorized copy and another reason why tank electronics are not a very attractive thing to spend time developing. I kept my production in Canada for a reason. You ship your design to get built in China, and don't be surprised if all you hard work and development is harvested, and you too get cut down at the knees.

Cheers

Dan
Old 07-30-2016, 07:00 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
THe Clone that is out there is the MICRO not the MIni. Less functions, less memory, no lighting features and zero instructions. It is tiny though. Size of two thumbnails. Good luck if you buy that. Benedini quit producing it and pulled his instructions down as they had the gall to have a link to his site for instruction. A Chinese unauthorized copy and another reason why tank electronics are not a very attractive thing to spend time developing. I kept my production in Canada for a reason. You ship your design to get built in China, and don't be surprised if all you hard work and development is harvested, and you too get cut down at the knees.

Cheers

Dan
Bingo.

Plus, I bet you won't even get it.

I ordered one that was recommended on another forum, marketed as a replacement part for some RC truck. It was from a US source for the big Chinese site that sells them. 40 days later, nothing. Their response was, they will send another. I opted to get refunded since I looked closer at the product listing online when it didn't show up and found the link to Thomas Benedini's site. That's some nerve, not only ripping someone off, but using his instructions.

I'm surprised Gary, you have been the steady champion of avoiding recasters, etc.

This is worse. Benedini has enhanced all platforms of RC with his products, losing sales to ripoffs just drives people away from creating stuff when the customer base is so small.

Look up 'Ausfwerks Design Fender Bender'. It was a tool I made and sold years ago. Wildly popular and reviewed, every production run went in a short time, I shipped all over the world. Problem was every production run got more and more expensive. I had to constantly raise prices and people kept buying it. I had unsolicited offers from a bunch of Chinese companies, including Voyager Model to manufacture it, but wanted to keep construction in the US. Eventually, it was too much of a pain to deal with production without getting into serious money, so I walked away from it. Ten years later I'm still getting requests for it every week. There's too little gain in cottage industries to deal with small insults to the bottom line.

Last edited by ausf; 07-30-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:01 AM
T Skaz

Nope!!!! Not planning on purchasing any kind of "knock offs". But thanks for the info. The info is always helpful. Tim
Old 07-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Crius

I wasn't posting any recommendations, just the info I've heard. If the TBS is a line that others want to copy that says a lot. I usually stay away from knock-offs just because they never have the kind of support you'll get from the real McCoy.

For you, personally, Tim, I've seen your other posts and I have to agree with what Jeff said on another thread, you have to keep in mind the platform and realize you'll NEVER get studio quality sound out of a model tank the size of a shoe-box (for a while there Dan was playing with some kind of resonator that basically turned a plastic turret into a sound delivery device, and that looked quite promising but never seemed to go anywhere, to my sadness). However, I would say that if you can afford it the TBS and all the Benedini products will be a worthwhile investment, just for the education you'll get. The creation of sound files has become a kind of "hobby within the hobby", so to speak, and there are quite a few guys that get a lot of enjoyment out of that aspect of the hobby. Kind of the way both the still and video photography bug has really bitten me along with the tank bug. You may have seen some of my little movies and I can guarantee I'm having big fun with those, despite the fact that, personally, computers tend not to like me very much so I do my best to avoid them whenever possible. But there is certainly some amazing work coming out of our hobby, in this and so many other areas and departments, can ya dig it?

And since we're talking about sound and movies, here's some of the raw FPV footage I use to make movies. It's kinda long but if you skim through you'll get some good info on another sound board that doesn't get talked about too much, and that's the Juno Board (sp?). Mine came on my Asp board and I think it's got really great sound features. A 20 watt amp, two channels, one for engine and one for gun and mechanical sounds (rotation, etc), ports for three speakers, two different micro SD cards you can use to add or customize sounds, and all the sounds you'll hear in the video are what it comes with stock. I haven't made any mods at all, and this is Tiger One sounds, 88mm cannon and MG34 machine guns (this tank now has two MGs, one bow and one coaxial to the main gun, and they're on separate switches with separate sound tracks). The asp is also the board featured in my model matching project, to run two or more tanks and switch back and forth from tank to tank from the transmitter. You've picked a great time to get into the hobby, because even though we're losing Dan there are a lot of exciting things happening on the electronics front, and I expect more major players will soon be offering quality electronics for these tanks, expanding both our choices and the hobby in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTowR71d8-Q
Old 07-30-2016, 11:20 AM
T Skaz

Awesome back yard set up!!!! I am impressed with the tank engine sounds/revs/acceleration. How much does that Juno board cost? And where can I purchase it? If I decide on the Juno. Never heard of the Juno brand. Boy there is a lot of different options out there since I first stared the hobby back about 5 years ago. Now I'm just getting back into it again. Thanks, Tim
Old 07-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Crius

I'm sorry, Tim, I thought you had just started in tanks, even though I could tell you have some kind of RC experience under your belt. So I should've said, "You picked a great time to come back".

The Juno is attached to my Asp and as far as I know that's the only way to get one. You're right that there sure are a lot of choices these days, and it must be something of a shock after being away. The Asp comes from Kevin Grannum, who is RC Tanks Australia and a really cool cat. Check his website and you'll find all kinds of interesting stuff, as well as another RC Tank forum that's populated by a bunch of very cool RC Tankers from Down Under. They have different rules for RC Tank battles there and I'm pretty sure that most of the time they fight to the death.

My youtube channel is going on four years old and has lots of stuff you might be interested in. You can check it out here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH8...kqoLJ6KcUvfflQ

And by the way, I'm in Detroit.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:21 AM
jmm6293-123

Hey Crius
your fpv set is exactly what i am aiming for ,no tank clubs in my neck of the woods so no battling,i have 2 Hl tanks the leopard and the bulldog iam realy interested in your set up ,are you running the fpv gear on a separate battery or the main tank one and what are you using for radio and what board,sorry for all the questions but your setup is what iam aiming for,i have been into rc for decades,mainly gas and glow planes so all this electric and fpv stuff is new to new but im learning..lol
Thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a Leopard 2 all set up with an on board camera and I use Fatshark goggles for that. It adds a whole new perspective for battling as well. With the goggles it is full immersion, and there is no peeking to get a birdseye view of the battle field. It actually will get you heart pumping wondering what lies in wait around the corner.

Cheers

Dan
Old 08-01-2016, 02:56 PM
Crius

Try this, jmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNvMjr3c82M And this will show you the stuff, after the first minute of TGY-i6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j5FJONQwcE Let me know what else you need to know. It doesn't matter what board or radio you run, the FPV is separate and with the mobius you have FPV and video capabilities. You'll have to make the platform conform to your tank, this one is for any Tiger one, but it could be easily adapted to any tank. For the FPV video seen from the top of my Jagdpanther, that's just the mobius stuck to the top of the Jagdpanther with white tack. There are several other videos that show the goggles and the whole set up in action at my youtube channel, if you're willing to hunt them down. I did these two for ya, now it's your turn to search a bit.

If you need a list of components let me know, it mostly came from Hobby king.

And mine peek on purpose. I have a camera mounted on the front of the goggles so you can flip back and forth from the tank view to what's in front of you without taking off the goggles. Handy for those of us that wear glasses.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 PM
jmm6293-123

i got back into rc tanks by pure coincidence,I was at Hobby Wholesale in the City of Champions, that`s Edmonton lol,to browse and came upon this neat and very well detailed line of 1/24 VS tanks,so I walked out with 2...lol a sherman an a leopard..and let me add that the wife and i had some epic IR battles in the wasteland of the living room, I was also getting into fpv so i decided to mount a 600 tvl cam on top of the leopard with mini vtx with a 2 cell lipo seen through the fatshark Altitude goggles it was like being in the Grizzly armored vehicle again,So i have no choice but to get in over my head, moved up to the 1/16 henglong and got a bunch of other fpv equipment,the HL A6 will be outfitted with 3 pico micro cams,2 in the turret 1 in the hull at the driver position,all connected by a 3 way video switch to a vtx all components will be internally mounted in the turret plenty of space in there,Im just waiting to order the Clark board as the entire system will be running through either my spectrum or futaba radio with either a 2 or 3 cell lipo for tank and fpv power,..the tank has been taken apart and weathered,got all the other gear on hand ,I will post pics of project and final product soon.

Last edited by jmm6293-123; 08-01-2016 at 09:42 PM.