Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

metal tracks for Tamiya Panther/Jagdpanther?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

metal tracks for Tamiya Panther/Jagdpanther?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Question metal tracks for Tamiya Panther/Jagdpanther?

Guys... has anyone used another brand other than Kenny Kongs or IMPACTS on their 1/16 Tamiya kit WITH any success?

I mean, I have KK's on my Panther (as well as the other built German tanks) and love them BUT... do I really need the best if I don't plan on any heavy duty use or battling? It's the expense that starts adding up so if I could find an alternative choice that would give the sag I want but not break the bank it would be great because for me... the plastic tracks, even to be hidden by the schürzen isn't gonna work for me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jeff
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used HL and Taigen but they need heavy modifications if you wish to use the tammy drive wheels. I had to polish and grind with my dremel to get somewhat reliable running but it is still not as good as just spending a few extra bucks and getting KK or impacts. I just went through this issue for my Tammy KT project. I have a new set of metal Taigens but after much head scratching and fruitless labor, I ponied up for some Impacts and called it a day. Unfortunately $179 poorer...
Old 08-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Tanker 10

I'm using the metal tracks from ETO on my Tamiya JS-2 and I am happy with them. I don't see tracks for the Panther/Jagdpanther listed on Bob's site for these tanks however. Surprised.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the look of the plastic that's killing ya? You cold just clock down the idler while it's on display to get more sag, then tighten it up during use keeping the stock plastic tracks.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:50 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
I'm using the metal tracks from ETO on my Tamiya JS-2 and I am happy with them. I don't see tracks for the Panther/Jagdpanther listed on Bob's site for these tanks however. Surprised.
I think the tracks in ETO's site are Impact tracks. Or, at least, I thought that he sold them...or used to.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a Panther (Tamiya) that I've got at least 500 battle hours on. Bone stock, works great. Tracks are getting a bit bald, but I'm still running them. Based on my experience with them, the Panther/JP doesn't need metal tracks. Only use if you like them. My JP has Impact metal tracks on it, and I like them on it. Didn't need it though.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by Jeff489
I've got a Panther (Tamiya) that I've got at least 500 battle hours on. Bone stock, works great. Tracks are getting a bit bald, but I'm still running them. Based on my experience with them, the Panther/JP doesn't need metal tracks. Only use if you like them. My JP has Impact metal tracks on it, and I like them on it. Didn't need it though.
I'm becoming a convert, I used to think you ALWAYS needed metal tracks. Besides, the wife has stopped "evil eyeing" my tanks when I run them on the wood floor.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:08 AM
manchu9inf

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to think that you had to have metal tracks for better performance, but slowly came to the conclusion that just isn't so. For my Tiger I use the kit plastic as the metal Impact tracks are just too heavy. For the Panzer IV I use Impact metal tracks simply because they are still light for being metal and do perform better regarding wear compared to the kit plastic. I reverted back to plastic Mato Sherman track for my Sherman, as the metal Mato Sherman Tracks are again, just way too heavy. I think it really depends on the tank and what you are doing with it, since I battle with mine, performance is important and I have figured that with the tanks I battle the most (Tiger I, Panzer IV, Sherman) different types of tracks need to fit the tank and what you are doing with the tank.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:45 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by manchu9inf
I used to think that you had to have metal tracks for better performance, but slowly came to the conclusion that just isn't so. For my Tiger I use the kit plastic as the metal Impact tracks are just too heavy. For the Panzer IV I use Impact metal tracks simply because they are still light for being metal and do perform better regarding wear compared to the kit plastic. I reverted back to plastic Mato Sherman track for my Sherman, as the metal Mato Sherman Tracks are again, just way too heavy. I think it really depends on the tank and what you are doing with it, since I battle with mine, performance is important and I have figured that with the tanks I battle the most (Tiger I, Panzer IV, Sherman) different types of tracks need to fit the tank and what you are doing with the tank.

EXACTLY MY POINT!!! The Panther's stock track kits are not loose and flexible (really binding up) like a german tank links should act with some type of track sag or like the Tamiya Sherman tracks are. Thus my reason for staying with metal for german tanks!

I didn't want this thread to erode into the merits against/for stock tracks as I'm all about KISS as mush as possible. I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully used any other metal tracks than the two I mentioned. Heck I even had to rework my Tamiya sprockets to eliminate track hop with the KK tracks.

But of course I am not a full time tank battler as you guys are so I am pretty close up to seeing how my tanks work, drive and respond than being many many feet away, ducking in and out of shrubbery or thrashing the tank around so fast performing unreal tank maneuvers. At that distant one couldn't really tell if you have metal or plastic tracks. Plus, metal would be at a disadvantage too as far as maintenance is concerned.

So I have my answer!

Jeff