Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL Panzer IV won't drive straight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Panzer IV won't drive straight

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM
SubGuy05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Panzer IV won't drive straight

Hello,

I have an HL Panzer IV that I cannot get to drive straight. It pulls to the left and essentially drives in a tight circle. It is undriveable. I cannot figure it out. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? I have given it a lookover and cannot find anything obviously wrong with it.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:44 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your trim on the transmitter. Then take off the tracks and put the tank up on a block (2x4 or something), then test the throttle and see if one sprocket is turning faster than the other. You may have an obstructed sprocket, motor, or gearbox. Just a place to start, hoping you don't have a defective control unit.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Just possibly one of the rear rollers might be locked or a front sprocket binding on the transmission cover,
Look for shiny metal or worn paint.
Shaun.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After you've checked those things, check your motors and the pinnion. I've had a problem where the pinnion wasn't locked down on the motor shaft. So, the motor shaft would turn, but the pinnion didn't. The shaft just spun inside the pinion. I had to tighten the pinion's set screw better.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:20 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a stock HL, in my experience, it's just the way it is. They aren't precise (neither is a Tamiya, but closer). Neither were the real things, since the road wheels aren't positioned exactly the same in consideration of the drive and idler.

Tx trim, etc. can mask the symptom, but the cure is an adjustable idler.

You need to be able tighten or loosen the tracks in increments less than a full link, again, just like the real thing.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:42 AM
SubGuy05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I am an idiot and also new to this. It was the trim on the controller. It was pushed all the way to the left. It works fine now. I actually did not even realize that you could control the trim or that the dial even moved, because every other dial on the controller is fake.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SubGuy05
Ok I am an idiot and also new to this. It was the trim on the controller. It was pushed all the way to the left. It works fine now. I actually did not even realize that you could control the trim or that the dial even moved, because every other dial on the controller is fake.
No my friend you are not an idiot you are a learner,
Or did you think we all started off as experts except you,?
I wince at the basic errors I made when I began,
Shaun.

Last edited by jarndice; 08-05-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:25 PM
maillemaker

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Heh, lucky you. Most of my tanks have no trim, so you get what you get.

Steve