Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Inside the Chieftains hatch: Panther A

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:20 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inside the Chieftains hatch: Panther A

Panther perverts will find these films interesting as they show the inside of the Littlefield Panther A, there are a few features of this restoration which are incorrect such as the zimmerit in the M.A.N pattern as opposed to the correct M.N.H pattern, the original turret also had a pistol port in the rear the new replacement turret does not have this feature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKktWu6Rh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB-Rt0GRipo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZhJl7cHs78
Old 08-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I've never claimed to be a Panther expert but know enough to carry on a conversation about them. This IS the tank they used in that episode of "Tank Overhaul" where they claimed they had to 'reproduce' the turret because it was damaged severely by being detonated by the crew as it sunk in the swamp?

Jeff
Old 08-08-2016, 01:42 AM
rivetcounter

That’s the one Jeff this is also the Panther that had the strange mounting brackets on the sides which to date have not yet been determined what their intended use was.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:11 AM
manchu9inf

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Out of curiosity, how many rebuilt Panther tanks could have been patched together with different parts during the war? I know they did it to Tigers and updated to the latest model, Could it be possible to have a turret from one manufacturer and a hull from another put together as a "factory re-build"?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

This is why it's extremely important using museum pieces or gate guards as reference material unless you know the difference.

Still a nice video of inside ANY Panther tank!

Jeff
Old 08-09-2016, 01:22 AM
rivetcounter

Not only was it possible but in the field it certainly did happen I have seen a few pictures of Panther with mixed zimmerit it was important to keep as many tanks as possible in the field, I’m not aware of a program such as the end of the Tiger run with a batch of hybrids though Panther were returned for overhaul there are pictures of this at the M.A.N factory with various manufactured Panther being overhauled and I would bet that Panther were returned with mixed hulls and turrets in some cases.