Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

TARR smoke unit????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 PM
T Skaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TARR smoke unit????

Has anyone out there had any experience with the TARR smoke units? Thinking about upgrading to a TARR. Does the smoke flow look real and proportionate to the engine revs?
And does the smoke flow start out slow with the engine start up. Most important to they burn out fast? Tim
Old 08-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The TARR units have a very good rep for producing good volume and working well with the proportional settings on most boards. The only thing I don't like about them is that the flow of smoke is constant, where the piston units gives a more realistic effect because the smoke kind of pulsates, just like a piston engine does. The problem with the piston units is that they're kinda cheap and usually have poor smoke flow. I've thought about a dual system, using a TARR to provide an extra stream of smoke to a stock piston unit, but that's a lot of space taken up just for smoke. My best results so far have been with a modified stock smoker, following the work of the King Of Smoke, Stormin' Normand, the guy that does those awesome acoustic smokers.

This is what I did with what Normand taught me in my Jagdpanther, and to get smoke like that out of pipes with a diameter that big is a lot harder than it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r22aqWeA_8
Old 09-01-2016, 05:00 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pluses
I have 3 of them. So far no failures. They have a quiet fan on them, much quieter than the piston style ones.
Less messy, they dont leak like the stock HL or Taigen ones. They smoke very well with JT Mega Steam.
They are Robust, mine are metal, not plastic.

Negatives-
Not realistic. When you first start the tank, the smoke takes a little bit before it comes out, the element has to heat up of coarse. It smokes the same whether the tank is at idle or wide open. Its footprint is a little larger than the stock ones, (not a big deal)
I'm sure with some electrical engineering they could be wired to pre-heat the element prior to starting. Also I'm sure it could be hooked to a speaker for a more realistic smoke at idle, mid and wide open throttle. Someone maybe already has done it.
So in conclusion, I would buy another, I like them much better than stock. Most of the time I am not worried about my tanks looking and acting exactly like the real thing. I have never seen a real tank in person running, so I cant comment on how they smoked, how it smelled, and what color is was. JT Mega Steam comes in different smells. Right now I would like to put Mosquito fogger in my tanks and fog the yard, lol!

When I had the stock HL Taigen smokers, I took them apart and used Chapstick on the piston, seemed to quiet them down and sealed them up a little to produce more smoke.