Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need radio recommendation for tank with 8 channels

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need radio recommendation for tank with 8 channels

Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kultakala
I have no problem to set up a board via PC... essentially i am a computer guy
So i would prefer the IBU3 over the IBU2... as i would expect better sound quality (according to the description), volume control via remote (or has the ibu2 that too ?), dedicated recoil and elevation servo output (IBU2 has only elevation ?) and it has 8 channel support.

The Clark TK Gen2 Boards have support for Gun Barrel Stabilization, i really would like to have that.
Is this supported by IBU or other boards as well ?

The i10 is still interesting because of the display and comfortable setting screens in combination with touch screen.
But the display should be barely visible outside in sunlight, is that correct ?
There is the "new" Turnigy i-6s which looks very clean and really good. It has no color display but touch support and is very inexpensive.
It is advertised as 10 channel radio but has only a receiver with 6 pwm outputs. So the 4 additional channels are only usable via s-bus ?
I dont even know what s-bus exactly is (serial bus ?) but you have to have a similar device on the other end i guess.
So for a tank control only 6 channels would be useable, right ?

If i insist on wanting an 8-channel-remote, is that soft-headed by me (because 6 channels are more than enough for a tank) or does it make sense to have 8 channels or even more ?

The 9XR Pro looks very cluttered compared to the i-10 and even more compared to the DX8.

"The 9XR Pro is hart to beat for that money", that means in functionality ? What about the build quality, is it the same level as the DX8 ?
And the displays, how good are they readable in sunlight, if i-10, DX8 and 9XR Pro are compared ?

Sorry for the late reply. Not sure when it will be available but Ivano is planning an accessory for the IBU3
providing gyroscopic turret and barrel stabilization for modern tanks.

The i10 display is very usable in sunlight to me.

The 9xr Pro suffers from "chrome" and "science fiction_y look" overload; from a very real interface perspective it isn't any more cluttered
than it needs to deliver the controls to operate it. If it was up to me I'd make chrome illegal on radio transmitters; high on my list of offenders of course is the i10 itself in my opinion however it isn't as bad as it could be only due to the finish being dulled or 'brushed' chrome. I like Spektrum's transmitter appearance.... I've given more than a passing thought to taking my 9xr Pro and i10 apart and giving the cases an air brushing with flat black or grey. unless one operates their systems by touch I find the science fiction -look to be distracting...

Jerry
Old 10-03-2016, 10:31 AM
kultakala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanque
The 9xr Pro suffers from "chrome" and "science fiction_y look" overload; from a very real interface perspective it isn't any more cluttered
than it needs to deliver the controls to operate it. If it was up to me I'd make chrome illegal on radio transmitters; high on my list of offenders of course is the i10 itself in my opinion however it isn't as bad as it could be only due to the finish being dulled or 'brushed' chrome. I like Spektrum's transmitter appearance.... I've given more than a passing thought to taking my 9xr Pro and i10 apart and giving the cases an air brushing with flat black or grey. unless one operates their systems by touch I find the science fiction -look to be distracting...
Jerry
I totally agree, chrome should be forbidden!
Air brush is a good idea... right now i think that the frsky taranis maybe is the one i would go with.
It also looks a bit science-fiction-like but has the most flexible functions due tu the opentx system.

I dont know *sigh*
Old 10-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I totally agree, chrome should be forbidden!
Air brush is a good idea... right now i think that the frsky taranis maybe is the one i would go with.
It also looks a bit science-fiction-like but has the most flexible functions due tu the opentx system.

I dont know *sigh*
You won't be disappointed if you go FRSky that is for sure. If you are a PC guy then learning it is simple. There are more videos for Taranis stuff than all other manufacturers combined and the mods to them are awesome as well. I suggest a speaker upgrade first so you can listen to music while you play. They have a PC software to go with the Taranis that lets you do ALL your configurations and settings before you even hook it up and you can emulate the whole TX in the app too, it is quite handy to mess with and use. Not to mention one of the best features of the Taranis.... telemetry Eliminate the need for a low voltage alarm or needing to check your tank occasionally, just check the TX or use a switch like I do to call out your voltage on the fly or warn you if it gets too low. I have auto alerts for altitude, distance, voltage, RSSI, and more.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:39 AM
kultakala

I think i will go with the taranis...

Because nobody replied to my control board thread yet...
If i understand it right i can program the IBU3 via USB using a software but to configure the TK60 i will need an infrared remote ?
There is no way to program the clark via PC ?

In the IBU3, how is a tamiya style gearbox (like in the leopard) configured ? Or is it not possible to control such a gearbox ?

And if i look into the IBU3 manual on page 14, its possible to set additional actions to channel 5 to 8 and to specific stick positions on channel 1 to 4.
But there is no "firing cannon" in the drop down list, how is this be done ?
And would it be possible with a taranis to put functions on a dedicated switch instead of stick positions on channel 1 to 4 ?
Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 AM
Imex-Erik

I think i will go with the taranis...

Because nobody replied to my control board thread yet...
If i understand it right i can program the IBU3 via USB using a software but to configure the TK60 i will need an infrared remote ?
There is no way to program the clark via PC ?

In the IBU3, how is a tamiya style gearbox (like in the leopard) configured ? Or is it not possible to control such a gearbox ?

And if i look into the IBU3 manual on page 14, its possible to set additional actions to channel 5 to 8 and to specific stick positions on channel 1 to 4.
But there is no "firing cannon" in the drop down list, how is this be done ?
And would it be possible with a taranis to put functions on a dedicated switch instead of stick positions on channel 1 to 4 ?
For the Clark you need that IR remote to program it, no PC app or config is currently available. The IBU3 is solely PC configured. This can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it, the IR remote is easy to toss in your toolbox and always have, but will require you to carry around the manual unless you can remember all the codes and flashes. The IBU will require a PC like a tablet or desktop but settings are easier to change. Its all preference IMO. I always have my Windows tablet with me so I don't mind but to each his own. I'm pretty sure both models can drive all current gearbox configurations out there atm though I could be wrong. You should send both IBU and Clark an email, they are both really good with support and are great guys. Tell them what you want your end result to be and I'm sure they can help no problem.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:57 AM
kultakala

Okay, Thanks!
I wrote e-mails to both IBU and Clark... curious about the answers
Old 10-07-2016, 09:16 AM
kultakala

Okay, my DKLM metal chassis arrived... and my radio, the Taranis plus.

Although i dont have something to control with it yet, i already upgraded the firmware, adjusted the throttle stick (now centered), changed the sounds and splash screen and put a tank icon on it

But now i still need the heng long tank (on the way to me) and a control board.
Its not only that i still cant decide between IBU3 and TK60G2 i found a third board which sounds great, the ASP2 from Australia.

I also wrote e-mails with IBU and Clark and got most topics answered.

All have there pros and cons:

TK60G2:
+ has gun stabilization
+ has dedicated elevation/recoil servo outputs
+ deck level detection possible
- no sound level adjust over the radio
- no usb interface for configuration or firmware upgrade (self built possible)
- not available yet

IBU3:
+ available
+ has dedicated elevation/recoil servo outputs
+ sound level adjust over the radio
+ usb interface for configuration or firmware upgrade
o gun stabilization not available yet
- no deck level detection

ASP2:
+ available
+ sound level adjust over radio
+ sound select over radio
o elevation/recoil servo possible, but not plug and play (?)
o configuration via audio, usb interface possible
- no gun stabilization/deck level detection

I dont know if i am really aware of everything and some of the things are not important, but... what is most important to me is the way i can control the main und aux functions from the radio.

As far as i understand it the aux functions (like lights on/off, cannon, etc.) are controled with the IBU3 by putting the sticks in specific corners.
Functions can be assigned to channels 5 to 8, but only one function per channel.
This is according to the manual which may not be up-to-date.

The TK60 and the ASP2 have no assignments (other than driving and turret) to the stick channels 1 to 4, on the IBU the channels are used for some functions.
Can someone confirm this ?
Or is it possible to set the IBU3 up in a way that the drive and turret control is not used to set other things ?
Its hard to explain, i would like to have all other functions than that on the switches of the radio.

Does anyone have additions to the 3 boards ? Which is the best (even if it is complex to set up) ?
Old 10-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Imex-Erik

I'm glad you got the Taranis, you sound like a guy that has no problem from what I see so far. Welcome to OpenTX as it says
Oh and I thought I might let you in on a nice product from RCTA... the Viper. It is a receiver controlled volume control unit. Plug it into a spare channel and plug the other end into your 3p volume knob plug on the units and you can control the volume from your TX. The only downside to those units is the requirement for PWM for control IMO. This limits you to 9ch with the FRSky system as I think the L9R is the highest PWM output from them, but make sure to get the X8R instead as it supports telemetry and if you use the receiver for something later on you might be able to capitalize on that and the RSSI output is good for FPV if you decide to with the tank.
Unfortunately I haven't got to play with any of the boards (though I may have an ASP to play with soon) so I cant get anymore detail for you but to me one of the biggest issues is the half-stick commands.... I hate those so much, it is so hard to do them in the heat of battle. They can be mapped to the Taranis I'm sure so you could use the paddles or something to do the same or a switch, but it isn't the same. I would think hard on that idea, that would be one of the biggest questions for me.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM
travisiniraq

I just started using mt Spektrum DX8 radio for tanks, But I have always liked that flysky i-10. I sure dont want to undo the 29 models I have on my Spektrum radio,but I have always been looking for an excuse to by one of those.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM
kultakala

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I'm glad you got the Taranis, you sound like a guy that has no problem from what I see so far. Welcome to OpenTX as it says
Mine is saying "Welcome to Taranis" But OpenTX it is of course

Oh and I thought I might let you in on a nice product from RCTA... the Viper. It is a receiver controlled volume control unit. Plug it into a spare channel and plug the other end into your 3p volume knob plug on the units and you can control the volume from your TX. The only downside to those units is the requirement for PWM for control IMO. This limits you to 9ch with the FRSky system as I think the L9R is the highest PWM output from them, but make sure to get the X8R instead as it supports telemetry and if you use the receiver for something later on you might be able to capitalize on that and the RSSI output is good for FPV if you decide to with the tank.
Viper ? Never heard of it, i will have a look... but ASP2 and IBU3 allow volume control via the radio so...
I got a X8R and i dont know for sure but it should be possible to bind 2 X8R receivers at a time so you can have 16 channels. Or using a s-bus to PWM converter. Somewhere i read about it.

Unfortunately I haven't got to play with any of the boards (though I may have an ASP to play with soon) so I cant get anymore detail for you but to me one of the biggest issues is the half-stick commands.... I hate those so much, it is so hard to do them in the heat of battle. They can be mapped to the Taranis I'm sure so you could use the paddles or something to do the same or a switch, but it isn't the same. I would think hard on that idea, that would be one of the biggest questions for me.
I was looking at RCTA Forum and as far as i understand there is kind of a prepared setup file for Taranis and X9R(?) radio ´... all those "half-stick" commands (and even third stick commands) are bound to switches. The RCTA guy explains the radio setup in some youtube videos, i really liked that.
Also that there are a lot of sound options... and the sound board is of very good quality it seems. But not everything is like i wish on the ASP2, so...

Maybe i have to get all 3 boards... Or build my own ? Hmmm...
Old 10-07-2016, 01:50 PM
kultakala

Originally Posted by travisiniraq
I just started using mt Spektrum DX8 radio for tanks, But I have always liked that flysky i-10. I sure dont want to undo the 29 models I have on my Spektrum radio,but I have always been looking for an excuse to by one of those.
I was torn between FS-i10, DX8(G2) and X9D (plus)... now i have the X9D plus and although i guess the DX8 is maybe better from the finish and the optics and the i10 has a touchscreen which can be good, the X9D is the most flexible.and most customizable one.
And after opening it to adjust the stick centering etc. i can say that it has a very good build quality inside.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:06 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually there is yet another board available which is the "IBU 2" and the "IBU 2 PRO" This is much less reliant upon a Computer although to configure the functions you will need one,,
The upsides are that the bugs have long been sorted out and it is much cheaper than the "IBU 3" Go on "U" Tube and be impressed..
Shaun.

Maybe i have to get all 3 boards... Or build my own ? Hmmm... [/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-2016, 03:51 PM
travisiniraq

I just got a the base IBU2 board a few days ago and its amazing. I was so impressed with it how easy it was to set up. Great sounds, easy to customize and perfect if you want to use it on different tanks. I dont know much about the IBU3, but I am so glad I got an IBU2 board instead an other cheaper popular board.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 PM
kultakala

The IBU2 or Pro may have the better value for money.
But i am not primarily price-triggered but want the best functions so i would go for the IBU3

And i want to use as many channels as possible (whats usually 8) and IBU2 has less than 6 (6 ? not sure).
Old 10-08-2016, 12:17 AM
jarndice

The IBU2 or Pro may have the better value for money.
But i am not primarily price-triggered but want the best functions so i would go for the IBU3

And i want to use as many channels as possible (whats usually 8) and IBU2 has less than 6 (6 ? not sure).
If you want to use the "VIPER" then the extra 2 channels available with the "IBU2" allows them to find a home, and if you go for the "IBU2 PRO with TPA" then a pair of Vipers make even more sense, I should explain that the "TPA" is a sound board for the IBU2 which truly enhances the range as well as the quality of the sound, it simply plugs into the Main board and is made by the same company and is readily available, it comes with 2 "Visaton " Speakers as well as my vote of approval.
If you go to---
www.rctankelectronics.com
you can read and see what I mean,
Shaun.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 AM
kultakala

I just read about the TPA, its only for the IBU2.
But i would need the IBU3, would like to have the expansion port for future gun stabilization and the main reason that IBU2 has no clutch style gearbox support (which i have).
Old 10-08-2016, 12:06 PM
travisiniraq

If your looking for gun stabilization have you thought about trying just a generic cheap rc flight 3 axis gyro or old heli tail gyro that no one uses anymore? I have a handful of unused gyros from planes and helis and I was thinking about incorporating one just for the turret traverse just to try it out. Not that that would be accurate for the two WW2 German tanks I have, but Im thinking about putting one in line with the turret channel and turn it on/ off with a 5th channel on the receiver. I dont know what tankers usually pay to incorporate a stabilization feature into their tank, but i wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't be done with a cheap gyro, or even gyro/receiver, This is of course providing that the elevation of the gun is operated by a servo and not that Heng Long elevation wheel thing they use.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by travisiniraq
If your looking for gun stabilization have you thought about trying just a generic cheap rc flight 3 axis gyro or old heli tail gyro that no one uses anymore? I have a handful of unused gyros from planes and helis and I was thinking about incorporating one just for the turret traverse just to try it out. Not that that would be accurate for the two WW2 German tanks I have, but Im thinking about putting one in line with the turret channel and turn it on/ off with a 5th channel on the receiver. I dont know what tankers usually pay to incorporate a stabilization feature into their tank, but i wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't be done with a cheap gyro, or even gyro/receiver, This is of course providing that the elevation of the gun is operated by a servo and not that Heng Long elevation wheel thing they use.
I don't do much with modern tanks but I've wondered if a Heli tail rotor gyro could be adapted. A modern type of course. I still have an original
mostly nib Kavan tail rotor gyro I picked up in the 70s; it has an actual high speed motor spinning a weight and it makes the coolest sound when you activate it. I also have one of the brand name Sanyo that I had installed in a Kavan Allouette; yes once upon a time I flew the first generation RC Helis and had the Kavan Jet Ranger, Kavan Alouette ( still hanging in my garage), HeliBoy, a Hirobo Hughes 500 ( absolutely gorgeous mechanics and fuse ) and a Falcon...AND an Ishimasa Skylark electric which I never got to fly right on a tether...

But I'd think a made to purpose gyro unit would be best for a tank...however I'm not the most up to date on the current versions.

Jerry
Old 10-08-2016, 01:27 PM
travisiniraq

I bet it could, and they are cheap enough to just try to see it it works, you can get a 3 axis one for about 12 bucks now a days. and if you have an old tail gyro I might do well keeping the turret pointing in a general direction while you maneuver the tank. I mean people put these cheapo gyros into RC drift cars to stabilize the steering during drifting. I have an old Align GP780 Im going to put in my King tiger to see how it does.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

First - THE VIPER IS NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED AND THERE ARE NO PLANS TO MAKE MORE.

2nd, the Asp is a really great board and with yours skills you'll really love it. I have two of them, with a 9XR Pro, set up by Kevin with the extra three-position switch, and this is how it looks in action. Two tanks, both on the Asp, with model matching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfebpdFNgQc
Old 10-10-2016, 11:02 AM
jarndice

Originally Posted by Crius
First - THE VIPER IS NO LONGER BEING PRODUCED AND THERE ARE NO PLANS TO MAKE MORE.

2nd, the Asp is a really great board and with yours skills you'll really love it. I have two of them, with a 9XR Pro, set up by Kevin with the extra three-position switch, and this is how it looks in action. Two tanks, both on the Asp, with model matching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfebpdFNgQc
No more "VIPERS" Gary what did I do wrong ?, I love them, Easy to fit as long as you have spare channels, it is just one more sign of Kevins genius.
Shaun.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
No more "VIPERS" Gary what did I do wrong ?, I love them, Easy to fit as long as you have spare channels, it is just one more sign of Kevins genius.
Shaun.
Agreed, but Kevin says he's not making anymore. I bug him about it almost every time I email him, but no joy. I said I'd take ten, no joy. I wonder if we had several guys that would take five or ten what he'd say.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Buggman60

So, I've been at this for just under a year and am still learning how to properly paint and perform realistic weathering on my tanks and then I read this thread and realize that next I have to try to learn all about electronics at my age!!!???? IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!