Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

T-34 Opinions Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 AM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-34 Opinions Please.

Ok, I have about $450 to go shopping with this coming weekend and I'm leaning towards a T-34. There are 2 paths I can take to quickly reach the $450 mark and both of them have merit, but I need info from you guys to make the correct choice.

I have a HL Panther with metal swing arms, asiatam gears, tensioner, metal sprocket and idler with plastic treads. This is my best backyard grass tank by far. Responsive, doesn't get stuck, plenty of traction and can pivot in place at low speed.

I have a HL PIII with the old steel gears and asiatam from the deck down. This tank is a tech marvel with it's torsion suspension and shear responsive agility, but obviously the skinny tracks limit it's usefulness in the grass.

Then I have an asiatam KV-1 which is beautiful to look at, but can't turn in the grass or really even go up an incline due to the shear weight. This is a case where metal addiction killed performance.

So obviously I am looking for a T-34 that performs like the first 2 tanks listed. Here are my options:

A: Complete, unpainted Taigen with no electronics in which I'd toss in the newest HL 2.4 and be done with. I worry about it being too heavy, no gearbox options and I`ve seen a video of one not being able to get traction to turn in the grass.

B: HL T-34 with Taigen 4:1 gears, roadwheels, swingarms and possibly metal tracks, but probably just plastic since my Panther runs so well this way. (I'd use the saved metal tread money to get metal roadwheels on the Panther).

Edit:

Adding option C:

HL upper and electronics in a Taigen lower with metal roadwheels and plastic tracks. This option shaves off a pound or two by removing the metal turret and tracks.

Opinion away!

Last edited by pcsguy88; 10-04-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:43 AM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Taigen full metal t34 and it has been good so far. I have no complaints on the way it runs. Those 4 to 1 gear boxes are 90 to1 so it has good power.
Jimmy
Old 10-04-2016, 05:18 AM
pcsguy88

Also, I do not really care about sounds or electronics as long as it runs and does what it should do. First thing I do is rip out the smoker and turn the volume down to where I can hear it idle, but the gears/treads are as loud as the speaker when running.

I suck so bad at electronics that I have a once used nicer RF radio, 4 channel receiver and an Elmod board laying in a box. That was a colossal waste of money since I could never get it to work as well as a stock HL RF.

How are the plastic treads on the T-34? Do they offer more grip than the metal ones? I assume they need to be soaked in WD-40 followed by an hour or two of super spins on rough concrete to get them conditioned? Do the pins stay in them?

Does that square switch panel on the Taigen hull come off to be relocated inside so you can run your tank in the mud and water? I had to do a double take when I saw that brilliant design...
Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pcsguy88
Also, I do not really care about sounds or electronics as long as it runs and does what it should do. First thing I do is rip out the smoker and turn the volume down to where I can hear it idle, but the gears/treads are as loud as the speaker when running.

I suck so bad at electronics that I have a once used nicer RF radio, 4 channel receiver and an Elmod board laying in a box. That was a colossal waste of money since I could never get it to work as well as a stock HL RF.

How are the plastic treads on the T-34? Do they offer more grip than the metal ones? I assume they need to be soaked in WD-40 followed by an hour or two of super spins on rough concrete to get them conditioned? Do the pins stay in them?

Does that square switch panel on the Taigen hull come off to be relocated inside so you can run your tank in the mud and water? I had to do a double take when I saw that brilliant design...
Yes, you can unscrew the panel and relocate it if you wish Our tank has tons of bearings on that model just btw too.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:52 AM
pcsguy88

Erik,

Will the HL upper hull fit on the Taigen lower and have the quick release parts? Will you sell the roadwheels without the swingarms? This option removes the weight of the turret which I imagine adds a pound or two. As you can tell, all 3 options end up with a good chunk of cash going your way, I'm just really searching for the right balance to get a rock solid backyard tank. I'd like it to run well in snow also.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:02 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes it will fit on our lower chassis. All the hardware needed to make it a quick release system is included with the lower chassis. The steel gearboxes also come with the chassis on that model. The road wheels come with the suspension arms. I'm not sure if you knew or not but I have a ARTR T34 in our Scratch & Dent section that I put together that is brand new. It is missing the motherboard, transmitter, smoker, and speaker, but otherwise is ready to go. It is up for only $399.99 and comes pretty decked out if you were planning on gutting it anyways.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:05 AM
pcsguy88

Yeah, that's my Option A.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:06 AM
pcsguy88

And I was wondering if you sold the roadwheels separate since the swingarms are already on the lower hull.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, what I did was take my WSN T34 and put all Tamiya electronics from the KV in it. Wow, what an animal it turned into. Only issue is there are not many options for decent gear boxes. So, I would get the HL version and convert that puppy to Tamiya or one of the other great new electronics systems out. Any way you are still going to spend around 4 or 5 hundred bucks. It always happens.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yes it will fit on our lower chassis. All the hardware needed to make it a quick release system is included with the lower chassis. The steel gearboxes also come with the chassis on that model. The road wheels come with the suspension arms. I'm not sure if you knew or not but I have a ARTR T34 in our Scratch & Dent section that I put together that is brand new. It is missing the motherboard, transmitter, smoker, and speaker, but otherwise is ready to go. It is up for only $399.99 and comes pretty decked out if you were planning on gutting it anyways.
Thats the one. Jump on it.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:42 PM
pcsguy88

Which gearboxes does the HL version use? H/L, M/L, 49 or 59mm?

Edit: Did some homework and did not like the findings... Is it true the T-34 uses modified standard H/L gearboxes with short stems? This tank is giving me heartburn and I don't even own it yet.

Last edited by pcsguy88; 10-04-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:06 AM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gear boxes that are in it run very well and I have had no problems. You could always get Erik to swap out the gear boxes for the V2 with the bearings.
Jimmy