Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Rich, figure discussion continued.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Rich, figure discussion continued.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rich, figure discussion continued.

I didn't want to detract from fynsdad's work in his thread anymore than I did. I tend to get caught up in conversation and overstep civility.

I was going to produce a line of TCs that fit over the TBU base for the exact reasons you laid out. I came out with the Russian TC for the JS-2 when it first came out and it works just like that. Fits over the base and rests holding the hatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6OlqYnSxzI Unfortunately, while it sold well, the market isn't big enough to put the effort into. I have found RC tankers are much different than figure painters. An average 1/16 figure fetches $60-80 but few tankers would pay that. I can sculpt a 1/35 figure for the same price point and sell to a much wider audience.

I come to RC from the static world, so everything I do is approached that way. Only a small percentage of 1/16 tanks get the detail found on an average static 1/35, so the market for anything is too slim.

The Sherman TC (if I ever produce it) will be a very limited release, fully painted and working with warranty, aimed towards the collector market.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Ive bought the three figures from SOL and several of the taigen waltersons figures.
I do the best I can painting figures, Im not that great. I mostly paint trains. My shermans look so much better with figures all over them while on display and running while not in battle.
I have yet to find the perfect Sherman figure.
I really would like to see two, one that is the TC hunched down in the open turret with one hand on the mic and the other either bracing himself against the hatch or just not seen. He would only stick out a little bit as if in an engagement.
The other would be a figure with arms out stretched firing the AA .50 standing on the rear deck.

Im not really asking YOU to make these, just what Im hoping shows up some day.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 AM
ausf

I started a master of the Pitt head with a steel pot over the tanker helmet, hunched down with arms crossed, mic held in front of the mouth. It fit on the TBU base in the turret. I never went further though.

I agree regarding the figures in tanks, they bring life to it. Problem is, when theres a figure on the model, as humans our eyes immediately look towards the face. I've seen too many 1/16 tanks where the builder spent countless hours getting a beautiful, historically correct piece, then drop Gumby in the turret, which is the first thing everyone sees. Not the 5 piece working Aber clamps, but the bug eyed freak in the the hatch. It's a real disservice to the build.

I assumed this would be a huge opening in the market, quality sculpted figures for 1/16 tanks, but there just isn't enough want or need. A MG42 gunner jumping over a puddle will reach a far larger audience than a Jon Berenthal manning a 50 and the MG guy doesn't have to fit with a model. And to go even further down that path, a 1/35 will outsell any 1/16 exponentially and is easier and lower in costs to produce. That's why Alpine releases two 1/35s every month, and a 1/16 just every so often. Look towards Jeff Shui, he has some great 1/16 stuff too.

Last edited by ausf; 10-09-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:49 PM
RichJohnson

Wow, if you ever finish that pit figure i would certainly buy a couple.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" but the bug eyed freak in the the hatch" - If I was driving a Sherman around in the land of Tigers, Panthers, and Panzerfausts, I think I'd be a bit bug-eyed myself!

Seriously, I got the Pitt head and it was great. Would also be interested in anything else you'd put out. Even just a well sculpted head helps add to the variety.

Personally, my best figure was painted following Street Squids Guide from the Desert Armor (DAK) website. Also assume that my tank commander have all seen Kelly's Heroes and are trying to squint like Clint! Little if any "EYES" is visible.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 AM
ausf

Heads make a huge difference since that's what we relate to. When someone approaches, you look at their eyes, not the folds in the clothes. Roger Saunders of Hornet makes a nice living just selling 1/35 head sets.

I sculpt almost all my figures squinting. Especially military, since the fig is to used outside in sun or glare, or under stress. Even looking through binocs or sighting a gun, you won't be shouldn't be seeing the white part in 1/16.

The only time I sculpt an open eye is in a 28 Days Later rage face.

Typically, you can get away with just a dark wash in the eye openings with the smallest hint of an iris (never round, just a line about a third of the width. Keep in mind the human eye is roughly an inch in diameter. That's the whole sphere, you see a lot less when it's in place, unless you're Marty Feldman.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:23 AM
RichJohnson

Well, ide like to buy a head or two if you have any more and any of figures you might offer if they arent servo operated(cant fit them on my turrets)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:36 AM
ausf

Right now the shop is upside down as I'm rebuilding the resin booth. As soon as I finish cutting the plexi and get this back in place I'll look for the heads. I'll also take a closer look at the steel pot TC master. If it's close enough to being finished, my next few casting projects may have space in the mold to piggyback.

I found a shoebox full of dented gerry can 'seconds' yesterday. Seconds meaning they had a bubble on the bottom so I didn't sell them in the sets.

I may rotate them back into production soon. Fall/Winter/Spring are my resin seasons.

Bellow the cans is a quick paint of a Pitt head. No whites, just a dark wash in the eyes and around the face to show grime. Irises are straight lines.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jerrycan2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	2185509   Click image for larger version

Name:	ustc4.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2185510  
Old 10-12-2016, 04:17 PM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to sell some of the gerry cans I would like to have some. Nice job on the head.
Jimmy