Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What esc or control unit for 1/35 tamiya mk iv male tank?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What esc or control unit for 1/35 tamiya mk iv male tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:55 AM
novaris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What esc or control unit for 1/35 tamiya mk iv male tank?

I chanced upon the tamiya mk iv male tank 1/35 getting converted to rc and I kind of jumped the gun and bought 2 tank kits without making sure what control unit I needed.

So, now I need some recommendations on getting a suitable control unit/esc with tx/rx. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems the gun turrets do not rotate/do not have space for servos so I only need a 2 channel system?
Old 10-15-2016, 11:36 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using a scale 35 board, it has sound, lights, etc. I updated to a higher voltage motors with a Tamiya gearbox, not the single axle that comes with the kit.

I'm not sure if I'm going to animate the guns yet, I've set the bow MG with lights and raking as well as a gunner figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zaj1U723VI
Old 10-16-2016, 02:27 AM
novaris

Originally Posted by ausf
I am using a scale 35 board, it has sound, lights, etc. I updated to a higher voltage motors with a Tamiya gearbox, not the single axle that comes with the kit.

I'm not sure if I'm going to animate the guns yet, I've set the bow MG with lights and raking as well as a gunner figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zaj1U723VI
any pictures of those motors and gearbox?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 AM
ausf

Nope. It's boxed away for now, waiting in a long line of unfinished projects; too many.

I used an old 1/35 Tamiya Tiger I gearbox, but I'm sure the project gearbox they sell is similar. You'll just need to measure.

Keep in mind, most of those, including the Tiger, come with 3 volt 180 motors, so if you're going to use a 7.4 system, you'll need to change them out for higher rated 180s.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:18 PM
dkaniel

Did you have to modify the model extensively to be able to fit the dual motors and the control unit?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:15 PM
ausf

Not at all. I think I cut one bulkhead a bit to accommodate the 850mAh lipo, but otherwise I don't remember much messing around.The kit itself has the offset gearing that meets the single axle motor/gearbox.

Everything fits in the main hull, there's room for servos on the main gun. I don't know about fitting in recoil, but definitely traverse.

I fit a servo on the inner roof that activates the bow MG to rake side to side in an arc and put fiber optics in MG and the gunners head (skull of course) so the eyes glow red when the MG fires. I set the firing LED back at the inside end of the barrel, so it also lights up inside the hull as the gun flashes. It's a nice effect.