Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Im thinking about buying a King Tiger.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Im thinking about buying a King Tiger.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Im thinking about buying a King Tiger.

Hi all. I thinking about buying my last tank. Im pretty sold to the Tamiya King tiger just because I love assembling my kits. I would like to ask what you think I should upgrade. So far I've read many times I will need the following:

Gearbox brace. The DKLM looks what I need.
Better track tensioners. No idea what to buy here.
Tracks: Here I have read mixed reviews. Some people says those tracks lasts for years and some other say they will break in the first run. I run my tank everywhere so I need something strong. What do you recommend me here, as cheap as possible? Not sure if mato tracks are compatible.

Also Im a bit annoyed with the hatches in the KT. All of them are closed, so what do you recommend me here?

Thanks for your time!
Old 11-02-2016, 01:38 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Taigen/Asiatam do some working hatches. I've had a couple of Tamiya King tigers and I found the only upgrade really required is an idler upgrade. You can fill the spring bits on the stock one with putty which works well but the Schumo or hentec upgrade is relatively inexpensive so a good place to spend your coin. If your going to use low ratio gearboxes the stock tracks might struggle, I've seen them break when people use impact tu or the Schumo geardowns (which should be avoided under all circumstances). The Tamiya King tiger lacks a bit of detail but even built stock with a nice paint job makes a lovely tank.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:52 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by tomhugill
I think Taigen/Asiatam do some working hatches. I've had a couple of Tamiya King tigers and I found the only upgrade really required is an idler upgrade. You can fill the spring bits on the stock one with putty which works well but the Schumo or hentec upgrade is relatively inexpensive so a good place to spend your coin. If your going to use low ratio gearboxes the stock tracks might struggle, I've seen them break when people use impact tu or the Schumo geardowns (which should be avoided under all circumstances). The Tamiya King tiger lacks a bit of detail but even built stock with a nice paint job makes a lovely tank.
Thanks for the tips, Tom. Yep, I have seen some people filling the iddler with putty, that`s a good tip. And if its cheap its double good tip
So far my idea is either to use stock gearboxes or if I upgrade, I would use that new DKLM gearboxes, but Im not sure if they will fit without drilling the hull.

I saw thosse schumo geardowns in axels modellbau shop, and looked like a gread add to the KT. Why we should avoid them? Quality problems?

And yeah, I have seen some masterpieces, painting here and there will make it a lovely tank. Just I was a bit annoyed that I have some 1.72 scale kits and I can open and close the hatches there. Its unveliebable that this feature is not stock in our tamiya kits.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:57 AM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
Thanks for the tips, Tom. Yep, I have seen some people filling the iddler with putty, that`s a good tip. And if its cheap its double good tip
So far my idea is either to use stock gearboxes or if I upgrade, I would use that new DKLM gearboxes, but Im not sure if they will fit without drilling the hull.

I saw thosse schumo geardowns in axels modellbau shop, and looked like a gread add to the KT. Why we should avoid them? Quality problems?

And yeah, I have seen some masterpieces, painting here and there will make it a lovely tank. Just I was a bit annoyed that I have some 1.72 scale kits and I can open and close the hatches there. Its unveliebable that this feature is not stock in our tamiya kits.
I think it comes from that the kit is the same moulding as the 80s clutch model, but hey ho the bits are out there to improve it. The gearboxes were designed to cope with the torque that the stock gearing provides. By adding the geardowns you are increasing the torque serveral fold. The stock brass gears just can't take the increased forces. If you snag a stone or twig or grass etc, you'll strip the gearboxes very very easily.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:17 AM
Rad_Schuhart

I think they did new molds when they released the henschel turret, but it was in the 90s... But yeah, I understand what you mean. When I assembled my sherman the moulds dated back from 1975! Those might be the most profitable molds ever.

About the geardows, that makes sense. I will stick with the stock ones until they fail.

Again, thanks!
Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I think they did new molds when they released the henschel turret, but it was in the 90s... But yeah, I understand what you mean. When I assembled my sherman the moulds dated back from 1975! Those might be the most profitable molds ever.

About the geardows, that makes sense. I will stick with the stock ones until they fail.

Again, thanks!
For the idlers you should get the HennTec idler system. This system is simple to install and works to excellence.

If you upgrade to metal tracks you will need to upgrade your transmission system. DKLM is marginally better than the stock but before you buy you need to look at my systems, which are virtually bolt in. Shipping time to you from my city is about two weeks. With my single main frame system you will not need a hull brace for the transmission.

http://www.etoarmour.com/product_det...?productID=S01
Old 11-02-2016, 02:42 AM
tomhugill

The DKLM transmission is defiantly much more than marginally better than the tamiyas. But you need an ibu3, tk60 etc to run it.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:11 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Sevoblast, im afraid I can not pay that amount of dough for the motors. They look rock solid, but is just too much.

I have never tried the DKLM gearboxes but a great thing that it has is that the tank will always run straight. Thats a big plus for me.

Tom: Dont forget you can also use the ASP 2 for the DKLM gearboxes, lol.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:37 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Sevoblast, im afraid I can not pay that amount of dough for the motors. They look rock solid, but is just too much.

I have never tried the DKLM gearboxes but a great thing that it has is that the tank will always run straight. Thats a big plus for me.

Tom: Dont forget you can also use the ASP 2 for the DKLM gearboxes, lol.
I simply wanted you to know the options for power. By the time you get what you need for the DKLM system you might be surprised at the total cost. You will find that the Tamiya electronics are excellent ,plug and play and last for many years. My oldest Tamiya, one of the first Tiger 1 to come to US, has all his original electronics as do all my other Tamiya tanks. The first Tiger 1 is so old and early in the production run that his switch was mounted in the hull floor at the rear.

On the Tamiya electronics there is a trim tab so you can adjust the steering to always run straight when your radio stick is self centered.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:38 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by sevoblast
On the Tamiya electronics there is a trim tab so you can adjust the steering to always run straight when your radio stick is self centered.
Hi, thanks for the reply. The KT wont be my first Tamiya tank, I have another M4 Sherman. I know I can adjust the stering with the board trims, but it does not work perfectly. For example I can adjust to go straight at lower speeds but when I go full throttle it keeps turning. If I adjust it to go straight at full throttle then I have that problem at lower speeds. I Dont know why is that but I have read some people having the same issue. Finally I replaced the Sherman electronics with an ASP (I have the sherman electronics for sale, if anyone is interested) and the KT will have the same fate.

The electronics are 100% plug and play, but I find them boring after a while.