Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What the heck.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:52 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry What the heck.....

Man i found my old walker bulldog and decided to try and run it so I popped in a battery and everything worked but the tank did not move at all! ...it's been sitting for about 4+ years ... I could not turn the sprockets and I am like ***!
Meanwhile the esc burnt out... the tank had the old first pot metal type gears they both where so stick I could hardly move them just a hair by the pinion gear so i put oil on everything and it did not work ,next sprayed desgreaser that did not work so i kept forcing it by hand by trying to turn the pinion gear and road wheel and finally i could move them but they where binding hard as hell! so now that the board is blown i hook a battery straight to the motors and run them a bit and find the gears are just melting away! What where those old gears made of from sitting they like rotted and got weak?

anyhow now i need a old 27mhz board that will be hard to find i bet and 2 new gear boxes!
Old 11-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Buggman60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note to self: Do not let your tanks sit for four years without running them on occassion.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:45 PM
shenlonco

Originally Posted by Buggman60
Note to self: Do not let your tanks sit for four years without running them on occassion.

Roger that!...but my plastic geared one still worked and my two marui 1/24 scales also worked fine!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Once it runs you can make one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZvS7sUN54
Old 11-18-2016, 03:15 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I probably have a RX-18 and two gearboxes lying around you can have cheap.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Once it runs you can make one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYZvS7sUN54
NICE Machine
Old 11-18-2016, 04:44 PM
shenlonco

Originally Posted by ausf
I probably have a RX-18 and two gearboxes lying around you can have cheap.
Hi it's the old one with 2 separate open boards... yours the solid square one box unit? probably still can use it....
PM me maybe we can work out a deal ...I also have lots of RC stuff maybe we can do some trading.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:44 PM
shenlonco

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
NICE Machine
Nice but I prefer the stock bulldog
Old 11-19-2016, 07:27 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I have:

Out of a HL Pz III, the gearboxes (free moving) and the RX-18. I used a DBC/Benedini setup in all the Has, so this never was used. I have no way to check how it works, so it would have to be 'as is'.

Last edited by ausf; 11-19-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Sky_HawK

Zinc can react to petroleum greases and also dry rot when sitting for a long time. I also have two RX18s with receiver boards laying around.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by shenlonco
Nice but I prefer the stock bulldog
Come on, (I think it's Steve?), I wouldn't get rid of that! I have both and can switch back and forth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-H_hqIVYbQ I have an old 1/24 Abrams that has the two separate boards like you have, if you're interested. If there's any interest at all I'll snap a photo so we can see if it might work for you (it might not, since this has the pistol grip TX, but maybe it can work with an HL TX/RX), but my Bulldog has a TK22 I got from Nathan at RC Tanks of OKC and it was less than a hundred bucks delivered. Pair that with the $25 T6 TX and I think it's a great, low cost hobby grade tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hikP6t651X8 Let me know about the Abrams board.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:14 AM
shenlonco

Yep it's Steve.
I think I may have a extra board in the old parts bin some place but i think it may be non working but I may be able to switch the fets to fix the ones that burnt out in the bulldog.
Thanks for helping out.

Come on, (I think it's Steve?), I wouldn't get rid of that! I have both and can switch back and forth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-H_hqIVYbQ I have an old 1/24 Abrams that has the two separate boards like you have, if you're interested. If there's any interest at all I'll snap a photo so we can see if it might work for you (it might not, since this has the pistol grip TX, but maybe it can work with an HL TX/RX), but my Bulldog has a TK22 I got from Nathan at RC Tanks of OKC and it was less than a hundred bucks delivered. Pair that with the $25 T6 TX and I think it's a great, low cost hobby grade tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hikP6t651X8 Let me know about the Abrams board.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:47 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell ya the truth Steve, why not buy one of the on sale Tigers to upgrade the whole elctronics? Sure the money will have to leave the pocket but you know you'll be much happier. Will make a nice winter project as well as some think'n and soldering will have to be done. Or really you should upgrade it with a new IR board so your back in the IR battle game and get to check out the new electronics available these days.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:33 AM
shenlonco

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Tell ya the truth Steve, why not buy one of the on sale Tigers to upgrade the whole elctronics? Sure the money will have to leave the pocket but you know you'll be much happier. Will make a nice winter project as well as some think'n and soldering will have to be done. Or really you should upgrade it with a new IR board so your back in the IR battle game and get to check out the new electronics available these days.
Hi was thinking of maybe doing something like that but not sure I want dump the $ into this.
Also Ir not into that much was not into it back then I really like the airsoft and always had... there are ways to use tanks with airsoft and have loads of fun.... example: like how the guy's set up RC scale courses for the scale RC 4X4 trucks you could make a quick course and put stopping shooting points that you then would have to hit targets with the airsoft tanks and go through the course with multiple stops and targets and when you complete the course hitting the last target you could get timed and see who wins by completing the task the fastest or if you say you only get 2 shots at each shooting stop for each targer and then at the end you can count targets hit or both time complete and targets hit.
That's just one fun and simple way to have a good time with airsoft tanks.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Sky_HawK

Upgrading to the Tiger/Leo board is easy! Didn't take me long to figure out the wiring differences at all.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:09 AM
TheBennyB

Hi was thinking of maybe doing something like that but not sure I want dump the $ into this.
Also Ir not into that much was not into it back then I really like the airsoft and always had... there are ways to use tanks with airsoft and have loads of fun.... example: like how the guy's set up RC scale courses for the scale RC 4X4 trucks you could make a quick course and put stopping shooting points that you then would have to hit targets with the airsoft tanks and go through the course with multiple stops and targets and when you complete the course hitting the last target you could get timed and see who wins by completing the task the fastest or if you say you only get 2 shots at each shooting stop for each targer and then at the end you can count targets hit or both time complete and targets hit.

Yup, done it with IR tanks. We took into consideration the amount of targets hit and the time it took from start line to finish line with missed targets adding time. Also did tug of war and hill climb. Called it "Tank Olympics."
Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM
shenlonco

Yup, done it with IR tanks. We took into consideration the amount of targets hit and the time it took from start line to finish line with missed targets adding time. Also did tug of war and hill climb. Called it "Tank Olympics."
yea not the same with IR ...like i said a small tank gets killed with 3 hit and a large ..what was it 7 or 9 but in reality the small tank is the same target as the large tank...because the apple picks it up the same so there is no advantage of having a big or small tank....this is why I always said the BEST IR battling is when all tanks are set to the same setting ...makes everything far and makes better battles.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:15 AM
Crius

Too bad you're so far away from Detroit. I've had a lot of the same thoughts for airsoft, and used to have one heck of a tank area that wasn't good for IR battles, but was absolutely great for photos and the kind of airsoft course you're talking about. It also really got me thinking about FPV targeting systems, and I'm still working on that. I'm glad you decided to come back to tanks. I have a feeling you're gonna be one of those guys I blatantly steal all kinds of ideas from!!

This is an old video of mine, that might give you a little insight into my twisted old hippie brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GG5xV0SCUo There are a bunch of videos at my youtube channel, and I'm still crankin' 'em out at the new place, where I just might be able to do a pretty cool indoor set-up in the basement.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:46 AM
TheBennyB

yea not the same with IR ...like i said a small tank gets killed with 3 hit and a large ..what was it 7 or 9 but in reality the small tank is the same target as the large tank...because the apple picks it up the same so there is no advantage of having a big or small tank....this is why I always said the BEST IR battling is when all tanks are set to the same setting ...makes everything far and makes better battles.
Disagree Steve, yes the "light" tank dies with 3 hits but it also can fire IR every 3 seconds compared to a heavy that can take 9 hits but also has to wait every 9 seconds to fire. Battle tactics are very different to be successful with a light tank vs a heavy or medium and vice versa. Also classes usually dictate some speed, a 'Light" Hellcat hauls arse around the battlefield while a "heavy" KV is much slower. All things to consider on how to approach the enemy and deploy your fire teams. And talk about fair...? How the heck you gonna have everyone have the same airsoft setup? Even if everyone is on the up and up their will be differences in FPS just from manufacturing tolerances, not to mention if people have modded it or not. Then there's the small pellets that would get everywhere and I would assume everyone would have to be wearing some kind of safety googles? I agree it would be cool but a nightmare to police especially in larger groups.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 11-20-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:55 AM
shenlonco

Nice never tried the dart type ammo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PamesFBgZ30
Too bad you're so far away from Detroit. I've had a lot of the same thoughts for airsoft, and used to have one heck of a tank area that wasn't good for IR battles, but was absolutely great for photos and the kind of airsoft course you're talking about. It also really got me thinking about FPV targeting systems, and I'm still working on that. I'm glad you decided to come back to tanks. I have a feeling you're gonna be one of those guys I blatantly steal all kinds of ideas from!!

This is an old video of mine, that might give you a little insight into my twisted old hippie brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GG5xV0SCUo There are a bunch of videos at my youtube channel, and I'm still crankin' 'em out at the new place, where I just might be able to do a pretty cool indoor set-up in the basement.

Last edited by shenlonco; 11-20-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:59 AM
shenlonco

been there tried it... small tanks hardly ever win and also when tanking how we did those big tanks 90% where faster than the smaller ones also...just to fake Old system that needs to be updated badly and made more realistic in my opinion.

the smaller tanks should have a smaller area to hit with IR and the bigger tanks should have a larger area...but they don't and are equal so equal = Fake.

Disagree Steve, yes the "light" tank dies with 3 hits but it also can fire IR every 3 seconds compared to a heavy that can take 9 hits but also has to wait every 9 seconds to fire. Battle tactics are very different to be successful with a light tank vs a heavy or medium and vice versa. Also classes usually dictate some speed, a 'Light" Hellcat hauls arse around the battlefield while a "heavy" KV is much slower. All things to consider on how to approach the enemy and deploy your fire teams. And talk about fair...? How the heck you gonna have everyone have the same airsoft setup? Even if everyone is on the up and up their will be differences in FPS just from manufacturing tolerances, not to mention if people have modded it or not. Then there's the small pellets that would get everywhere and I would assume everyone would have to be wearing some kind of safety googles? I agree it would be cool but a nightmare to police especially in larger groups.

Last edited by shenlonco; 11-20-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:20 PM
TheBennyB

Yea the target is the same size but usually the smaller tanks are faster and can maneuver better. Also your right about some of the heavies being too fast as most of the smaller club or backyard battle events don't really do any speed inspections or self police. You've gotta watch how realistic you make these things. The more realistic you make it the slower the "game" goes which starts to bore people. As much as we'd like to think we're operating the real deal in 1/16 it's still just laser tag on a tank. We've seen some people especially guys with younger kids not attending our Rolling Thunder campaign battles down at Danville cause they didn't like the "more realistic" battle type of having to worry about artillery, fuel logistics, minefields, etc. The main complaint is it's too hectic or they don't want to have to think about it and just want team deathmatch, button mashing battles.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:33 PM
TheBennyB

Their is the capability now to make the IR side of battling more realistic. The Elmod board has all kinds of options for different battle damage such as a right side track get knocked out or your turret no longer works. It also can be programmed to take damage more or less from different sides using multiple sensors and some other variables. Think a couple other boards may offer this as well. Also the Vampire IR sensor system which is plug and play. All these things are cool, but if everyone isn't using the same set up or mounts everything the same it's just not applicable. Man, could you imagine the headache of inspecting 80 or so tanks to see if their 4 IR sensors are mounted to the specified standard and recieve hits appropriately...no thanks.

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/sto..._Reciever.html
Old 11-20-2016, 12:41 PM
shenlonco

Yep that's why I said when all the tanks where set to the same hit setting it was the most fun and least boring.
Yea the target is the same size but usually the smaller tanks are faster and can maneuver better. Also your right about some of the heavies being too fast as most of the smaller club or backyard battle events don't really do any speed inspections or self police. You've gotta watch how realistic you make these things. The more realistic you make it the slower the "game" goes which starts to bore people. As much as we'd like to think we're operating the real deal in 1/16 it's still just laser tag on a tank. We've seen some people especially guys with younger kids not attending our Rolling Thunder campaign battles down at Danville cause they didn't like the "more realistic" battle type of having to worry about artillery, fuel logistics, minefields, etc. The main complaint is it's too hectic or they don't want to have to think about it and just want team deathmatch, button mashing battles.