Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Taigen PIV F2 Metal Edition Tank!

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Taigen PIV F2 Metal Edition Tank!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:06 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
Fingers crossed it's an Easy 8
Not quite yet, but HVSS we are already working on
Old 01-05-2017, 06:21 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sprocket needs to go up by 2-3 mm and the 4th return roller needs to drop by almost as much. I used the Mato 4:1 in my PzIV and they just fit with 380-sized motors. The biggest problem with raising the sprockets on the HL molds (assuming the Taigen F2 are the same) is that the fender starts to slope too soon. If they were pushed forward 1-2 mm and then drop more sharply they would be both more correct and allow the sprockets to be raised.

Here's my build where I started raising the sprockets. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...l#post12156422
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not interested as I already have the Tammy PZIV, but I will definitely give this a look for the lower hull for a Nashorn project I have been wanting to build. I can see a Brumbar in my future as well and this gives me all kinds of options, outstanding!!!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:27 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ROLLIN ARMOUR
how about a different tank German commander . I'm tried of this German tank commander.
Stick one of those Torro figures you sell in that tank. Just make him half figure.
YES we need another tank commander. At least one designed for the tank. The heng long/taigen is a copy of the tamiya king tiger commander. It just does not fit with the P III-PIV cuppola.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Imex-Erik

Just a few shots of the new PIV Different latch system layout, thick lower hull construction, metal turret, mix of metal and plastic hatches, metal cupola, and of course the 1 piece Winterketten tracks I'll get the accessories installed and a few more pictures tomorrow, Mondays are always super busy for me!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Taigen Panzer IV 013.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	2201985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taigen Panzer IV 015.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	2201986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taigen Panzer IV 016.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	559.5 KB
ID:	2201987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taigen Panzer IV 020.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	555.2 KB
ID:	2201988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taigen Panzer IV 021.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	2201989  
Old 02-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Dusty Steppes

Will it be offered in a summer paint scheme?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes
Will it be offered in a summer paint scheme?
I can't say 100% yet, but most likely yes. The PIV has always been popular, I'm sure I can convince bossman to do so
Old 02-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Spitvalve

Nice looking tank.

Why has someone flicked coca cola all over it?

Mike.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:17 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spitvalve
Nice looking tank.

Why has someone flicked coca cola all over it?

Mike.
i just thought that was Erik's morning coffee.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Maljunulo

I'm going to hold my breath until my face turns purple, hoping that there will be a Taigen T-90 fairly soon.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I really like it, but if mine comes out of the box and has a paint job like that, heads are gonna roll. I know it's just a sample but, seriously, Bro, that painter should be slapped. Please, please, please say it will be offered unpainted.

But there's some very cool stuff on this tank. I like the use of plastic hatches. Some may not agree, but I have both metal and plastic on different Tigers and the plastic functions much better, without as much worry that it will snap off from routine use. It looks like the only metal hatches are on the cupola? Or are the drivers hatches metal? I'm pretty sure the side turret hatches are plastic, right? Do any of the rear hatches open? (note to self: of course not, stupid, or he woulda opened them in the photos!). The tracks look great, and appear pretty sturdy. Erik, maybe you should devise a stress test or two to see if you can bend anything.

I hesitate to bring this up, for fear of starting an argument, but I'm about 80% sure those great looking tracks are on backwards. We'll need someone more knowledgeable than I to know for sure, but if I had one right now I'd swap sides on the tracks.

Are the spare roadwheels plastic or metal with rubber tires, as on the metal edition Panzer III?

And you know the biggest question ... When and how much?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM
philipat

Probably already stated, but that is definitely an Ausf G and not an Ausf F2. That said, this has some nice detailing added, but keeps some of the old errors. Some of the new detailing isn't quite right, either. The fender has the right tread plate on it now, but it's oriented wrong. The lifting lug on the mantlet would be nice if the lug were in the plate. The brake cooling outlet armored cover (cylinder on portside) should be larger. The biggest problem, though, is that the return rollers are wrong; fourth one needs to drop about 3 mm. And, the sprocket needs to come up about that much. Fixing that on a metal hull could be more difficult than on the plastic hulls.

That said, it looks like they were able to pull the BB gun further into the turret getting the right spacing behind the mantlet, which is also the proper width. The proper muzzle brake is there, for a G. And, the antenna deflector is a nice touch.

The tracks are unnerving. The tracks on the starboard side are correct; the tracks on the portside are backwards. It almost looks there is one set of track castings and they just flipped one side around to make it work. My history might be off, but I think that an Ausf G should be using Ostketten rather than Winterketten.

I agree with Gary that for many of the hatches, plastic works better. A few are fiddlly and need to be metal. The signal port where you load the BBs on teh PzIII and PzIV needs the strength of metal. I've broken all of my plastic ones over time. The multi-hinged hatches - turret, drivers, etc - work well with plastic (and are smoother). I'll bet the engine hatches do open. Taigen already offers them as separate upgrades.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 PM
LukeZ

Originally Posted by philipat
The biggest problem, though, is that the return rollers are wrong; fourth one needs to drop about 3 mm. And, the sprocket needs to come up about that much. Fixing that on a metal hull could be more difficult than on the plastic hulls.
Not to be a negative nelly but this was the part that disappointed me most when I saw early photos of this a while back. These problems were well documented on the original, they are very visible to the naked eye and throw off the whole look of the Pz IV in my view, and are not easy for end-users to correct, at least for sure not the drive sprocket. So what better time to fix them than when designing a whole new hull?

I'm grateful for every new release and I don't mean to criticize Imex at all. They are just the distributor, and Erik is the best support person in this hobby on the entire planet. But I would dearly love to see Taigen hire a staff of European or American engineers and designers rather than leaving those crucial roles to the Chinese staff. The small extra investment in salaries would be well worth it for both the consumers and the company in my view. That or else hire Chinese designers from the DJI school of innovation rather than the Heng Long school of "what's the minimum will get the job done."

All the same I am glad to see this release and may be tempted to get one at some point. It will certainly be a vast improvement over the disastrous Asiatam hull!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:19 PM
borealis

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

After so many years from the original HL release, all the flaws of the HL model have been well pointed out.
Also Asiatam in the past released a corrected metal lower hull (sprocket and rollers)..

It is unacceptable that a 'new release' again shows the same basic flaws: it is a major step back, not forward.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:26 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with the step back in the hull but the turret looks good.

I think the front sprochets are not rised up because there is no room for nornal gearboxes.

Anyway I agree with you, guys, and it should had been corrected.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:57 AM
philipat

Sprockets can be fixed. I did it in my build using a Mato 2.0 gearbox. I'm still about a millimeter short of where it should be, though. That's not because the gearboxes don't fit. It's because the 11-o'clock position on the gearbox would rub the fender. The other flaw in HL tank (not so easily seen) is that the front of the fenders is a little too short. It needs to extend a little more and then drop more sharply. Correcting that would allow the sprockets to be corrected, especially if you tried a Taigen mid/low configuration.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Imex-Erik

Hey guys! Thanks for the input! Ok so first let me clear up just a few things before it snowballs too much
-Yes I should of posted those were sample tracks, the other side was not ready yet but I couldnt wait!
-Due to the not waiting I got the paint job I wasn't really looking for, but will due for now. This is not the final color dont worry!
-After talking with bossman about the summer paint scheme, this is most likely a go but maybe not at release.

So, knowing that, I am always open to paint schemes. This is just my sample to play with and make final adjustments or fixes, it is not 100% done just quite yet. If you have some paint schemes you would like to see please post it here, I of course will gather it all up and have a meeting with bossman later this week. Oh and this tank WILL have the new sounds in it for sure, this one came with it and even comes with the servo cables to use your own receiver (PWM based). I'll get something up on this soon as well, the PIV is due for a teardown but due to it being a sample and not final I am kinda hesitant to do so in case something changes.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Dusty Steppes

Possible color scheme...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7f57d6fc9c.jpg
Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Imex-Erik

Nice! I like that. Keep them coming
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I am disappointed that even the downright disappointing "Asiatam" PZ4 Metal Hull that has managed to give me so much grief came with the rear rollers dropped the obligatory 2/3mm and yet a class product such as this PZ4 is still showing this basic failing,
The good thing is that having fixed so many of them I take it in the same way as when I set up a new car,
Customer preference!!
Shaun.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 AM
philipat

A couple of possible color schemes...

There's more, but the pictures all have them behind shurzen. I'm partial to the Hungarian scheme just because it's a little different. Nice thing about the G is that you could make it in Panzer Grey or Dunkelgelb and be correct. These were being made during that transition period.

If you can still change or correct anything on the tank, fix the return roller and sprocket height. Everything else can be done reasonably easily by the individual.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wydawnictwo_Militaria_147_Pz_Kpfw_IV_vol_II_Pa13.jpg
Views:	1894
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	2202128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wydawnictwo_Militaria_147_Pz_Kpfw_IV_vol_II_Pa14.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	2202129  
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 AM
LukeZ

Best paint scheme for some is the option for no paint!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by LukeZ
Best paint scheme for some is the option for no paint!
The upper, turret, and lower will be available separately of course unpainted. I should be able to get a kit up just like the others up as well shortly after we get them. Not sure 100% on the lower hull options, but I know we will have the base chassis for sale and possibly one with electronics installed depending on demand.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Dusty Steppes

Any chance of a view of the turret internals? Looking at the picture I see a heavy red lead and a gap between the turret rear and the storage bin. Based on that I would hazard a guess that this one is equipped with a Taigen style recoil and elevation unit.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Imex-Erik

Any chance of a view of the turret internals? Looking at the picture I see a heavy red lead and a gap between the turret rear and the storage bin. Based on that I would hazard a guess that this one is equipped with a Taigen style recoil and elevation unit.
Yea internal pictures and even the new sound card/motherboard will show up shortly, I'm still trying to answer all my emails from the weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.