Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:09 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Code501
However, I have one question: I have read/skimmed through all the documentation and could not find a way to utilize a gearbox with a drive motor and steering motor (DKLM Propulsion Dynamics Steel Gearbox http://www.dklmrc.com/product/pdsgb ). Could this control method be implemented?
Yes! This already works. We need to add a section to the documentation about this topic. To control boxes like the DKLM and others like it (such as the old style Tamiya gearboxes) that use one motor for propulsion and one for steering, just set the Vehicle Type to "Car" on the Motor tab of OP Config. Yes that is a little counter-intuitive but the Car type uses distinct motors for propulsion and steering, so that's why. This mode still works with any of the serial motor controllers (eg Sabertooth) or regular hobby ESCs.

I will get the documentation updated on this soon.

EDIT - I realize now this is going to cause confusion. See post #86 below for the updated answer to this question.

Last edited by LukeZ; 02-04-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:09 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yes it is VERY simple, that is the best part. 1 wire is all that is needed to interface with it. No need to train or program it, the TCB controls it all. You can use either the Taigen sound card or the TBS at the moment, but if you guys have already downloaded the app you can see there is an OP sound card in the works too
Also yes, it is nice to hear some new sounds and will be nice to have a nice way to change them easily too. We will have them separately available for everyone of course upon launch. The PIV will most likely be the first tank to release with both the new motherboard and sound card.
Just so that I'm understanding this correctly...this will plug into the existing Taigen motherboards, correct? Looks like you're going to release a new motherboard, but will this sound card work with the ones that Taigen sells right now?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:19 PM
TheBennyB

Was wondering the same thing Philipat. Can the sound system be back dated? Also when you say various sounds are available does that mean the user will be able to purchase one sound system and change throughout various tanks or that you'll have to purchase a system according to sounds preferred? Either way a very exciting plug and play module.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 02-03-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Erik has always told me that one of the most difficult things about new products is that he has to make sure they work with everything that has come before, so I would guess that the new sound board will work with the old taigen MFUs.

Judging from past experience I would say there will be a separate board for each tank, but we'll have to ask Erik about that. For me it would be great to be able to buy a sound board made for the M-26 that I can just plug in to get the correct sound set. Now if they could just come up with something to disable that nasty track recoil!!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by LukeZ
They are very small, uncomplicated, no setup required, no software required, no mixing sound files; what you see is what you get and they just work.
The answer to the prayers of so many, myself included. NO COMPUTER REQUIRED!! Halle-Freakin'-lujah!!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Trying to get a picture of how many discrete ' modules' are required for this implementation. Am I hearing correctly that
one needs:
  • OP board
  • Taigen board( or similar)
  • separate ESC(s)
  • receiver
  • sound module

I know this can't be right as I've only been half reading this so someone please clarify.

Jerry
Old 02-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Crius

You're right, Jerry. Along with the TCB board you need separate motor controllers, rx and sound board, but not the stock MFU. It might get tight in a Stug.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:33 AM
LukeZ

Hopefully I'm not overstepping my bounds as this is Erik's territory, but I think one can conclude even from the video he posted, that the new Taigen sound boards are not ​backwards compatible with the existing Taigen MFU. They need a control signal in order to operate and the existing Taigen MFU knows nothing about that signal and doesn't have a connector for it anyway.

I'll let Erik speak to the other questions!

Jerry, your list of items required is a little too long. It would not be possible or even make sense to use the Taigen MFU and the Open Panzer TCB together. Both are MFUs (multi-function units). Choose which one you like. From there, if you are using the TCB, you do need to add the other items on your list: hobby receiver, motor control board, and sound unit.

The reason Erik posted this new info was simply to say the upcoming standalone Taigen sound units which were designed for the new Taigen MFUs, will also work with the TCB. That is the advantage of an open software under active development, we are free to add features at any time. A few weeks ago the TCB could only produce sound with a Bendini device. Now the TCB also works with the new Taigen sound unit, take your pick. A few months from now - who knows what other options will be available.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

....... Jerry, your list of items required is a little too long. It would not be possible or even make sense to use the Taigen MFU and the Open Panzer TCB together. Both are MFUs (multi-function units). Choose which one you like. ....
THAT makes more sense to me and that is what I thought would be the proper configuration...

Jerry
Old 02-04-2017, 04:16 PM
philipat

... the new Taigen sound boards are not ​backwards compatible with the existing Taigen MFU. They need a control signal in order to operate and the existing Taigen MFU knows nothing about that signal and doesn't have a connector for it anyway.
That's a bummer. I thought that might be the case. Getting several new MFUs could get a bit expensive.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:26 PM
LukeZ

However, I have one question: I have read/skimmed through all the documentation and could not find a way to utilize a gearbox with a drive motor and steering motor (DKLM Propulsion Dynamics Steel Gearbox http://www.dklmrc.com/product/pdsgb ). Could this control method be implemented?
Yes! This already works. To control boxes like the DKLM and others like it (such as the old style Tamiya gearboxes) that use one motor for propulsion and one for steering, just set the Vehicle Type to "Car" on the Motor tab of OP Config. Yes that is a little counter-intuitive but the Car type uses distinct motors for propulsion and steering, so that's why.
In thinking about this further I realized the above solution, while it did work, was inevitably going to cause confusion. To prevent that I've instead created a new Vehicle Type specifically for those using clutch-style gearboxes such as the PDSGB. Just select this tank type from the drop-down list and the rest is taken care of. Documentation in the Wiki has been updated.

There are numerous different combinations of drive types and motor controllers a person can select. But as those who have downloaded OP Config already know, for every selection you make in the Drive & Turret Motors section, instructions appear next to those selections with guidance on where to connect what. Of course more in-depth help is available both in the Wiki and from the help files built in to OP Config, accessible by clicking the little question-mark buttons within the program.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DKLM_Type.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2199701  
Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Unfortunately the new sound card is not compatible with the older motherboards.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 PM
YHR

I am guessing the TBS will work with the new Taigen board?

although if the price is right on the Taigen sound card, my hats off to you.

Dan
Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 PM
philipat

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Unfortunately the new sound card is not compatible with the older motherboards.
Bummer...when do we get the details on the new card? particularly the price...work with the older controller, etc?

Buy-back for those with older MFUs that want to upgrade to the new one with the sound card?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
I am guessing the TBS will work with the new Taigen board?

although if the price is right on the Taigen sound card, my hats off to you.

Dan
Oh yes, both the mini and micro work with it fully.
Originally Posted by philipat
Bummer...when do we get the details on the new card? particularly the price...work with the older controller, etc?

Buy-back for those with older MFUs that want to upgrade to the new one with the sound card?
Soon.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 AM
YHR

Back to this project

Although this open architecture board is great and I fully support the concept, what really needs to happen IMO is to have the board sold preset for the Tamiya IR system. The majority of users have no real need for the more advanced things this board can be made to do. If it could be purchased, and right out of the box function in the Tamiya mode then the reluctance to make the purchase would disappear. Over time the consumers could start playing with the other features.

If Hobby King are going to market this thing then the board should come with the basic Tamiya system flashed on it to start with. A lot of reluctance would disappear if people thought all they had to do was plug in the ESC and low cost Taigen sound card(I hope it is low cost) to have a Tamiya compatible battle tank.

IF Hobby King doesn't want to do it then that would be a niche market for someone.. Buy the boards at wholesale, flash the Tamiya system to them and resell them.

Cheers

Dan
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 AM
LukeZ

The default board settings are Tamiya IR. Weight class is set by dipswitch on the board, same as with Tamiya. It's all of one mouse click to change IR to some other protocol but Tamiya is the default.

As mentioned before, there is no way to make this truly "plug-and-play" because you at least need to go through the radio setup routine. The TCB has no idea what radio you might be using, given that it is compatible with a countless number of them. So one way or another, the user is going to end up opening the OP Config program and clicking their mouse. This is par for the course for aftermarket boards.The difference with the TCB is that you aren't programming your board blind with a TV remote or jumpers, never knowing if the settings you gave it stuck or not. You see right there on the screen all your channels moving as you move your sticks. It is very clear and easy to do.

There is no radio setup with Tamiya because Tamiya come pre-configured for the Tamiya radio which is included. That saves you setup time. The cost is that you are limited to 4 channels.

I hate to bash my own product, but it needs to be said - if you want a plug-and-play system more than anything else, do not buy the Open Panzer TCB. Also do not buy the Clark, the IBU, the El-Mod or any others like them. Basically you have one choice which is the Tamiya setup. With IR capabilities it will set you back many hundreds of dollars, you will be limited to 4 channels and goofy stick movements to control things, BUT it will work out of the box (except for high intensity flash which will go up in smoke after the first week).

But if you are willing to sacrifice a few mouse clicks for greater flexibility, then the TCB is a good option.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 AM
Code501

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be annoying or anything like that, but I have problems installing/updating OPConfig. So far I have tried Run as Admin, granting permissions, but so far no luck updating or installing. I was able to install v0.9.22 without any errors when it was released. Are there more people that are having these errors?

Name:	OPConfig Error.JPG
Views:	986
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2200833  
Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 AM
Imex-Erik

Not to be annoying or anything like that, but I have problems installing/updating OPConfig. So far I have tried Run as Admin, granting permissions, but so far no luck updating or installing. I was able to install v0.9.22 without any errors when it was released. Are there more people that are having these errors?

I actually just updated on Sunday myself while working on my Leo and it installed fine. Have you downloaded the file again just to make sure?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Code501

I downloaded the file about 10 times already and if I get it to somewhat work I get this error:

Name:	OPConfig Error 2.JPG
Views:	1066
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2200856  
Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM
LukeZ

Code you're not being annoying at all. But I might suggest you start a support thread over at the Open Panzer forums as that would be the more appropriate place to discuss this (post it in the Open Panzer Help forum).

In the meantime, this error simply states that your computer is failing to remove the existing version, and until it does, obviously it won't let you overwrite it with the new version. This could be a permission issue, and I see you've tried running as an administrator. However even an administrator doesn't have permission to overwrite a file that the administrator has open. Perhaps you have the exe running under another login, or else Windows thinks you do. Rebooting will fix this. Are you able to rename OPConfig.exe to something else like OPConfig.old? If so the installer should work.

You may want to try uninstalling the existing version yourself (rather than letting the auto-installer do it), by going to Programs and Features, select OP Config from the list, and uninstall. Then download the new version of OP Config from the downloads page and install it manually (by double-clicking the exe). The auto-installer that you can launch from within OP Config needs to close OP Config before it can complete the installation procedure, but perhaps it isn't running with sufficient privileges to do so.

There may be other things we can check but like I say, if this doesn't resolve it please start a thread in the Open Panzer forums.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Code501

Started a thread as I haven't had any luck yet. http://openpanzer.org/forum/index.php?topic=25.0
Old 02-13-2017, 09:41 AM
LukeZ

Discussion continued at the OP Forums.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:07 AM
pedzola

Any ETA on availability?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:16 AM
LukeZ

HK has so far been unable to give a clear answer on this, or the cost. Earlier they said it was scheduled for release this month (February) but when I asked again a few days ago they indicated production had not yet begun. I wouldn't expect it before March or April at this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.