Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

IBU2 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

You still haven't said if you've tested or changed the servo cables, and done the stick calibration with dipswitch 8. Start with the problems that have caused problems with others in the past. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, we just need to get your rotation working. Once the IBU reads both rotation and gun fire it will be able to start. Without proper input from those two channels the damn thing will never work.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
You still haven't said if you've tested or changed the servo cables, and done the stick calibration with dipswitch 8. Start with the problems that have caused problems with others in the past. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, we just need to get your rotation working. Once the IBU reads both rotation and gun fire it will be able to start. Without proper input from those two channels the damn thing will never work.
Unless is an IBU2 pro which uses channel 5 for starting motors.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Crius

I believe Cruiser stated it's a base, and he did mention no servo controls for rotation or elevation so it can't be a pro.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Rad_Schuhart

I believe Cruiser stated it's a base, and he did mention no servo controls for rotation or elevation so it can't be a pro.
You are absolutelly right.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, forgot to add I have changed out the servo cables and done the dip switch channel 8 thing about 30 times. My servo cables work fine regardless as I tested all of them using a servo and my Spektrum RX. I have decided to pull the plug on this board. I have invested at least 8 to 10 hours on this and I am done. I have reached out to the seller who agreed to return it and issue me a new one. Unfortunately I cannot get my money back, but I at least will get the opportunity with a new board....
Old 02-05-2017, 01:40 AM
Crius

This is only about the third IBU that I've heard of being bad out of the box, so hopefully a new board will give you some satisfaction. Do you mind if I ask where you got it? There are only so many guys selling these things and the ones I know are all straight shooters so I do believe they'll work hard to see you satisfied. It's just a shame that a die-hard Tamiya guy finally tried an aftermarket option and got a lemon right out of the box. I'm fairly sure that this experience will stick with you and possibly make you hesitate before trying any of the other good boards out there, like the Asp and the upcoming TCB. I think that's only human nature, ya know? Once bitten, twice shy?

I'm sure you'll want to know what they see when they get the board back, and I'd be interested in that myself. Just what the heck is going on with that puppy?!?

I'm also kinda bummed because I've really been looking forward to a little video of your T-55 in action. How about a couple of still photos to whet the old appetite?
Old 02-05-2017, 02:09 AM
Cruiser133

This is for you Gary! I will post more pics when she is done.

I have some good news...sort of. I tried the Clark board again and lo and behold, she works! Well almost. I have it set up with left stick controlling forward, reverse and turret rotation. The right stick does barrel elevation and steering. The tank moves fine, steers fine and turret rotation is good, but I cannot get barrel elevation to work and no sound except cannon sound when I push the right stick down and turret rotation works as intended but no engine sound, no MG, no barrel elevation sound. Is this just a programming issue? Should I buy the Sony remote to sort it out? At least the damn tank moves under power....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03099.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	2199722  
Old 02-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Dusty Steppes

I am not familiar with the transmitters you have. I am using 9x radios with my Clark boards. I have the right stick controlling foward, reverse, and steering. The left stick I use for turret rotation and a quick flip up will fire the cannon. All the other left stick functions I have programmed to switches.

Throttle start/stop engine
Rudder light on/off
Elevation fires the machine gun
Aileron cannon depression
Gear cannon elevation
Training fires main cannon
Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Crius

The clark (if it's a TK-22) has to be programmed for airsoft or IR They're supposed to come set for Tamiya recoil but you never know, and that may be the problem. I know elevation is one of those funny half stick moves but on my M41 it's more like 25% movement and then left or right for elevation. I set my clark boards like yours, with throttle and rotation on left stick and steering on right. That makes the half stick movements easier for me, and I also find it easier to drive. I had it set for throttle and steering on one stick but it just didn't drive right and would kick into superspin when I tried to make a hard turn. Once I went to separate sticks for throttle and steering (I think Tamiya is set that way) things were much easier and much less frustrating. The TK22 in the M41 really does drive like a dream. I think Nathan has the remote for about $20, but just for setting main gun function almost any Sony remote will work. I think to set the main gun in the Hooben you want Tamiya recoil, so you just use the power button and you want it to flash once for Tamiya recoil. Here's a link to the page (which you probably already have) and the section on main gun is about half way down so you'll have to scroll a ways to get to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1912507...&ul_noapp=true

That T55 looks fantastic. I can't wait to see video!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to use the remote to program it for servo elevation, it won't work out of the box (bad design imo but hey ho).
Old 02-06-2017, 04:23 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I had issues with the IBU3, seemed not to hold the programming, ended up having to return it.

Once bitten twice shy indeed, back to Tamiya...
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 AM
Crius

A friend of mine also had a lot of trouble with the IBU3 and the first board he got was bad. But, after he had invested enough frustration and hair pulling he finally got the second board to work and just loves it. Most of his problems were in the software needed for his computer. I've found that brand new boards quite often have bugs in them, so I try to wait until a board has proven itself before buying. Heavy, if it will meet your requirements you might want to try an IBU2 Pro, especially since they're on sale right now for just $80 (if they're not sold out yet). It can give you servo turret rotation and elevation and is a lot easier to install and program (IMHO).

Cruiser (the OP) is also a die-hard Tamiya Guy, so I really hope they take care of him and get his T-55 working on an IBU. I've seen some of Cruiser's tanks and I know there are things he'll want to do that a Tamiya set-up just won't fit in. There seem to be a lot of guys that are seriously devoted to just one brand but I think it would be great to see everyone using at least two or three different brands of board. I truly believe that all these new systems (as problematic as some of them are) are very good for our hobby.

Diversity, Baby!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Cruiser133

$80?!?!? Wow, I bought a standard on "sale" for $130 shipped...ouch
Old 02-06-2017, 07:54 AM
Cruiser133

I ordered a remote package from dklm so I will wait until it gets here to sort out the Clark board. If it works out I may give those another shot. I will withhold final judgment on the IBU system until the replacement board gets here as I still need a smaller footprint system for my enigma. At the moment I cannot in good faith recommend them. I appreciate additional options for the hobby but not at the expense of reliability and ease of installation. Tamiya is the gold standard for a reason.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm personally not a fan of diversity with tank electronics. I suggest finding a brand you like (and that loves you back...), learning everything you can about it, and sticking with it, no matter what. That way you have depth of knowledge, experience, and spare parts.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by Cruiser133
$80?!?!? Wow, I bought a standard on "sale" for $130 shipped...ouch
Jerry is having a close-out sale.

Jeff489, I see the logic in your approach, and I know up until now Cruiser always stuck with Tamiya, but now he's doing a T-55 and I think the space limitations were a huge factor in his stepping out of his comfort zone. I personally prefer the IBU stuff, but in some tanks it's just too darn big. I think it would be difficult to get an IBU in a Sherman, so I went with a TK-22 for that. I think both approaches have merit, but an understanding of a variety of options can be a pretty good thing.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Cruiser133

Jerry is having a close-out sale.

Jeff489, I see the logic in your approach, and I know up until now Cruiser always stuck with Tamiya, but now he's doing a T-55 and I think the space limitations were a huge factor in his stepping out of his comfort zone. I personally prefer the IBU stuff, but in some tanks it's just too darn big. I think it would be difficult to get an IBU in a Sherman, so I went with a TK-22 for that. I think both approaches have merit, but an understanding of a variety of options can be a pretty good thing.
Yep, the T55 necessitated me stepping out from Tamiya. Even with the IBU, I have to use a smaller speaker setup as space is at a premium. ALL of my tanks use Tamiya except for my couple of non-upgraded HL and my two T55's.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Hi Cruiser. Once you have you Ibus/ASP2/elmod/wathever working all your tamiya units will appear on the sale section or on ebay. Give them another try!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

he's doing a T-55 and I think the space limitations were a huge factor in his stepping out of his comfort zone
The Tamiya electronics fit fine in my T-55. About the same as the Pershing. I just had to build a speaker box for the T-55. Works pretty good and battles great. Reminiscent of a WOT Type 59...before they nerfed the crap out of it.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM
heavyaslead

Yes, I really wanted to get the IBU3 to work, spent several hours, had to download several softwares (which only WIN7 or 8 compatible) and make up a USB to USB cable converter, OMG such work.

If it would have worked, yea would be awesome but the electronics have to be 100% reliable, I can deal with some mechanical issues but not electronic.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:53 AM
heavyaslead

Originally Posted by Jeff489
The Tamiya electronics fit fine in my T-55. About the same as the Pershing. I just had to build a speaker box for the T-55. Works pretty good and battles great. Reminiscent of a WOT Type 59...before they nerfed the crap out of it.
Example of how I fit Tamiya in me T55a:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	T55-035.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	2199940  
Old 02-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Cruiser133

Well my IBU 2 boards came in today but work is killing my time so will have to wait a few days before I test them out so we shall see. Jerry sent a replacement standard and I couldn't resist the pro board for $80 so I popped for one of those as well. I have two t55's to get rolling so I am hopeful these work better than the last....
Old 02-18-2017, 02:59 AM
Cruiser133

Can anybody tell me what the HL turret port channels are on the IBU? The IBU 2 diagram in the manual uses abbreviations that I cant decipher. I am trying to hook up the turret controls using the HL turret port for the Hooben recoil, elevation and lamps.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:21 AM
rescue119

Im thr manual below the diagram there is a chart. It shows which is which.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by rescue119
Im thr manual below the diagram there is a chart. It shows which is which.
Thank you, I guess I missed that page completely...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.