Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Dialing in turret rotation speeds.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Dialing in turret rotation speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dialing in turret rotation speeds.

I have been upgrading my Taigen tanks with TK22 boards. The transmitter I am using is a Turnigy 9x. The 9x allows me to adjust the mixing to set the maximum rotation speed but I have a problem with tanks that require a really slow speed.

Has anyone used this product and if so what are your impressions?

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/sto...ive_gears.html

I'm thinking this combined with the 9x mixing just might give me the results I'm looking for.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:20 AM
Afrikakorps

The easiest and cheapest; put a 17-22 ohm 1/4 watt resistor, or a 50 ohm variable resistor in series on the red wire to the transverse motor. This will slow the movement speed, you'll have finer movement but slower rotation from original.
Cheers
AK
Old 02-05-2017, 05:21 AM
Dusty Steppes

I have a KV-1 that I am trying to set to a 360 degree rotation of 60 seconds. It's not possible to set it that slow by adjusting the radio transmitter throwpoints. Doesn't lowering the throw point on the radio transmitter do the same thing as using a variable resistor? I would think changing the gear ratio and making minor adjustments to the throw point settings would be more efficient.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:35 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes
I have a KV-1 that I am trying to set to a 360 degree rotation of 60 seconds. It's not possible to set it that slow by adjusting the radio transmitter throwpoints. Doesn't lowering the throw point on the radio transmitter do the same thing as using a variable resistor? I would think changing the gear ratio and making minor adjustments to the throw point settings would be more efficient.
The resistor trick is not useful as the motor torque will be variable and usually change the speed during its way. The best is to change the gear ratio as you say if the first step of the stick is not slow enough. Changing the end of the stick in the 9x you will change the sensitivity of the stick but not the first step signal.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Dusty Steppes

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. My transmitter is set up to control the turret rotation with channel 1.
Channel 1 mix source is rudder with a weight of 30.
Channel limits I have set to -90 left, 55 right.
The different settings in the limits is because the motor operates at different speed depending on direction.

I may be wrong but I thought the weight determined the amount of step and the limits determined the sensitivity.

The weight I use for a course speed adjustment and the limits allow me to fine tune the speed.

If I reduce the weight much more I lose torque and the turret stalls.

If I reduce the limits I get the same result.

My thoughts are the gear selection of this new turret motor will allow me to use a better gear ratio with more weight in my mixer setting to give me more torque at a slower speed.

I was curious if anyone has tried the new style motor assembly that I posted in my original post.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:36 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. My transmitter is set up to control the turret rotation with channel 1.
Channel 1 mix source is rudder with a weight of 30.
Channel limits I have set to -90 left, 55 right.
The different settings in the limits is because the motor operates at different speed depending on direction.
The motor has a minimum voltage to star to turn, and when it does also has a minimum speed, you can have 1000 steps, but if you need very low speed, and is smaller than the minimum the motor has, then you must change the gear ratio as you pointed in the first message.
I also use mixes for having dual rate in the throttle, but the motor start to turn when the torque is greater than the friction of the system
Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how those gears available work with that unit. In other words if it's not spring loaded or adjustable how do you compensate for the distance gained or loss between it and the ring gear?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:13 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

You can also replace the motor with a lower RPM motor at the same rated voltage.

For instance, in my case I had a roughly 11000 RPM motor for one of my tanks rotation and replaced it with a 21000 RPM motor for faster rotation (almost 2X)

If you want slower rotation, find a similar can size/rating motor with the RPM ratio lower you desire.