Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Which radio to use with ibu2?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Which radio to use with ibu2?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Here's a link to the self center kit for flysky radios

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/sto...pring_Kit.html
Old 02-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeZ
I don't know about that, but the easy solution is to buy the original FlySky 9x and not the Turnigy version sold by Hobby King.

The other advantage of the FlySky is they don't route the module antenna through the radio, which for some stupid reason Turnigy decided to do. On the Turnigy when you want to swap modules now you have to cut wires which throws a lot of people off and sort of negates the original concept of a "module."
Yep that was annoying. I made the modification to the module to have the antenna on it so I can swap modules. I did think that was a pretty cheesy thing for Turnigy to do. A few minutes with a soldering pencil and relocation of the antenna and it was history.

My first 9x had me soldering an interface for USB right on the motherboard ( I cut a small opening on the side for a plug) and installing a backlight for the LCD panel. The second 9x and I got smart and bought the SmartieParts interface... Every so often I need to smell flux... must have inherited that from my late dad..

Jerry
Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crius
Here's a link to the self center kit for flysky radios http://www.rctankelectronics.com/sto...pring_Kit.html
Yeah, this is why I said they are "basically" unobtainium. If you go through the checkout process at RCTankElectronics you will find that sliver of plastic is going to cost $30 dollars shipped to the US. That's not worth it when the entire radio only costs $50.

ForceRC.com has occasionally had the levers in stock but not in the last year. I've contacted them several times and they say they will get them "next time they place an order" but in actuality it never happens.

Banggood has the levers for sale for only $2.50 shipped. But if you place an order, you will wait a month and then they will cancel it. Or at least that's what happened to me the last time. I'm waiting for Chinese New Year madness to be over to try them again though.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 PM
TheBennyB

If anyone has a lever in hand, you could try sending it to someone with access to a 3d printer. Couple folks on here have them in house or they'll do the measurements and send it off to shapeways.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:15 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
If anyone has a lever in hand, you could try sending it to someone with access to a 3d printer. Couple folks on here have them in house or they'll do the measurements and send it off to shapeways.
That's in the works.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:17 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by LukeZ
Yeah, this is why I said they are "basically" unobtainium. If you go through the checkout process at RCTankElectronics you will find that sliver of plastic is going to cost $30 dollars shipped to the US. That's not worth it when the entire radio only costs $50.

ForceRC.com has occasionally had the levers in stock but not in the last year. I've contacted them several times and they say they will get them "next time they place an order" but in actuality it never happens.

Banggood has the levers for sale for only $2.50 shipped. But if you place an order, you will wait a month and then they will cancel it. Or at least that's what happened to me the last time. I'm waiting for Chinese New Year madness to be over to try them again though.
Send Ian an email and I'm sure it won't cost that much. He's working on getting these to the states for less shipping, so the whole deal would be under $15 to $20. If there's enough interest I might be able to have a quantity shipped to me for sale in the US. I can send a padded mailer with the kit for three stamps (under $1.50) to anywhere with a US zip code.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanque
I'd be curious how we can identify the fake chips in HK- Turnigy systems. I have two older 9x systems and one 9xr, all of them flashed with a modified er9x( the 9xr has a slightly different version) and while I'm leery in controlling an 80 pound gas 1/10 scale tank model with these systems I've not yet had a problem with my 1/16 models on IBU systems. My 1/10 models are still on my trusty old Futaba 8UAP systems on 2.4ghz. I do have a Horus system coming and that looks promising. I have a Taranis but have yet to use it much. I also have Spektrum 6 system and it's good; the i10 I have looks slippery difficult to get used to and seems sort of one_off_ish.

I don't use self centering sticks for throttle as I want all my systems to support all my models and a self centering stick on a gas model
won't cut it. All my systems are set to use left stick y-axis for throttle; x -axis for turning; right stick y- axis for maingun and x-axis for turret. other functions are spread over other controls as available.

Jerry
Hey Jerry,
Here is one of the initial reports of it, I'll have to look later but there was a post on the OpenTX University site about them as well. Pretty much you can't flash it if it is fake so if you have it flashed already you should be good.
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/3668
Old 02-14-2017, 10:47 AM
rescue119

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my ibu2 pro showed up today. I didn't order a radio yet but will tomorrow. If I wanted to hook the ibu2 up to the stock wiring can I use the stock radio for now? I think I can but want to clarify
Old 02-14-2017, 11:16 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rescue119
So my ibu2 pro showed up today. I didn't order a radio yet but will tomorrow. If I wanted to hook the ibu2 up to the stock wiring can I use the stock radio for now? I think I can but want to clarify
I don't remember if you told us the Tank or not BUT if it is a Heng Long, Taigen or Torro then once you fit an after market board such as an IBU2 then the supplied Transmitter is no use and you will need a new Transmitter and receiver,
There was a gizmo from www.rctanksAustralia.com which allowed your plan to work but I havn't seen it for some time..
Shaun.

Last edited by jarndice; 02-14-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 AM
rescue119

Am I going to need a volume control switch? My HL has it built into the transmitter. Or will the flysky i6 be able to do it from the transmitter?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 AM
Crius

You're going to need a potentiometer for volume. I'm sure Eric can set you up with one for a couple dollars. If you can find a Viper you can get volume control from the TX but Kevin quit making the Vipers about a year ago and I haven't been able to find any ever since. I wish someone else would start making a receiver controlled potentiometer because I really like volume control on the transmitter.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Crius

The good news is that you can just use a stock volumeknob and it will plug right into the IBU2. If Eric doesn't have any let me know and maybe I can send you one.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 AM
rescue119

I pmed Eric about sending me one. Just waiting for the bill.

So with the i6 I ordered am I going to need a self centeking kit for it? Where do I grab those from?
Old 02-19-2017, 02:10 PM
LukeZ

Originally Posted by rescue119
So with the i6 I ordered am I going to need a self centeking kit for it? Where do I grab those from?
Yes. Crius posted the link just a few posts back.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:15 PM
rescue119

That's in the works.

Any progress?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Crius

I sent the self Center lever to my 3D printer guy and now I just have to wait for him. If I were you, I would go ahead and order one from Ian, since I have no idea how long it will take him to get back to me. Send Ian an email and tell him that you are in the United States and I think he can do better for you on the postage.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:28 AM
rescue119

I sent the self Center lever to my 3D printer guy and now I just have to wait for him. If I were you, I would go ahead and order one from Ian, since I have no idea how long it will take him to get back to me. Send Ian an email and tell him that you are in the United States and I think he can do better for you on the postage.
To bad im Canadian ��. I'll see. So do i need 2 of them or is it a pair per package?
Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Crius

Sorry 'bout dat, Cory. I didn't remember that you're in the Great White North.

You only need one lever. One gimbal is already self centered on both axis. But you also need the spring, the two little metal pins and the perch thingie for one end of the spring. Fortunately, Ian has all that stuff in his kit. Didn't I do a video on the kit? Hold on. I thought I made one, here it is, shows all the parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwKf9PMyxM
Old 02-20-2017, 06:02 PM
rescue119

All ready emailed Ian. Its all good ill be ordering from him soon.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM
LukeZ

The FlySky self-center lever kits appear to be back in stock at Banggood. I placed an order again a few days ago and they've given me an actual shipping notice.

$2.50 shipped, or $2.24 if you buy three or more.

http://www.banggood.com/Flysky-i6S-F...p-1078595.html
Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 AM
rescue119

Alreayd ordered from Ian in the UK. Along with some other goodies
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM
phordman

so Im using a hobby king t6a v2 and an IBU2 Pro. had to switch a few channels from the tx to ibu, and flip them in the remote and in the IBU to make it all work correctly. Thanks a ton for the help Richard!