Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

How Do I Get Started?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Skip, I've been thinking more about your question about batteries and chargers, and I've tried to find the charger I have (the HK B6) but I don't know if they even sell them anymore. I can't find them if they do. If I had to buy a new charger today I'd probably ask Erik what to buy. That dude knows more about batteries and chargers than the average bear by a long shot, and it wouldn't be the first time I just bought whatever he told me to and found it to be a home run. I originally bought an Onyx 240 dual charger (still using it) for about $90 at the LHS but it won't charge lipos so when I went to those I picked up two single chargers that can do either nimh or lipo (and li-ion) for $20 each and I've never looked back.

Thanks again, Cronus (The Father of Zeus, for those that don't habla) .
Old 02-09-2017, 01:52 PM
maillemaker

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only skimmed over everyone else's replies, and I didn't follow anyone else's links.

I was only throwing out some quick links to give a idea of the prices.

Your $90 link is a great deal for an all-plastic Tiger with smoke, sound, and 2.4 GHz.

Steve
Old 02-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

To be honest with the low amount of current our tanks pull most NIMH batteries will do plenty fine and are a ton safer than Lithium batteries. However, if you are already familiar with lithium batteries they are a great upgrade. For those who aren't interested in learning how to charge, discharge, and store these batteries then stick with a nice NIMH battery and you should be just fine. I personally only use Lithium batteries as I have at least a few hundred lying around I am constantly testing chargers and lipos are great for rapid charging and discharging (which helps put cycles and hours on the chargers).
Oh, I'm Erik btw. I'm with IMEX/Taigen so I won't be getting into X vs Y, I just wanted to offer my opinion here. I will say however to watch where you get your charger, most known brands are plenty fine but I've seen hobby shops burn down from incorrect settings (2 big name stores since I've been working at IMEX actually!). You would be surprised at just how often you mess up when inputting charge settings, especially when you are doing multiple batteries like I do. I'm super glad I get a cell check before starting a Lithium charge! In all honesty a NIMH will probably be more than you need and is simpler to maintain for most. Hope this helps!

Edit: One battery suggestion I highly suggest is to change the connectors. I am not fond of the Tamiya (aka Molex) connectors, they are hard to connect reliably and melt at around 250W or so. Nothing our tanks can accomplish stock, but a Deans connector or a XT60 is a nice upgrade IMO for reliability and finger comfort.

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 02-09-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:50 PM
maillemaker

To jump in on the charger thing, one of the chargers that came with my Heng Long Jagdpanther fried, and the other is melted and on the way to frying. The stock chargers will work for a while, but I would not trust those suckers unattended. I had left mine charging on a book shelf and I'm lucky I didn't burn my house down.

I now have a Venom PR2 charger that charges all kinds of batteries.

Steve
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 AM
skip2a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching videos, reading forum posts and reviewing what was posted here and I am still at a loss (on some aspects).

Just to clarify if I buy a HL with all plastic (the $90 version) it will shoot Airsoft BB's and would be ok for a 12 year old to run around the yard and learn with? Upgrading to metal parts after the purchase price seems to be expensive; is it worth investing in it?

I really like the idea of the IR battles and will be bringing my son down to the March event: we should be there around 11 on Friday night (historical miniatures society has a show in Lancaster that weekend; we will hit it on Friday then head down to VA).

For this event will there be club representatives from the local areas that I can meet with and learn about their clubs and membership?

Is there a way to rent/try a tank to make sure I like it before spending the $600 to $800 for a combat ready one?

If I buy a Tamiya or a Taigen I am assuming I am ahead of the game. The Tamiya come ready for battle but the Taigen I need to add a IR system?

It looks like metal tracks are about $150 and up to buy after the fact: I assume it is worth buying the tank with this already included?

Do the tanks use 3 or 4 channel radio control units? I have a friend that has some used airplane controls and boards that he does not use anymore. Are these compatible with the tanks?

My son has decided his favorite tank is a Tiger (he does not care about the version); I need to find one for him before his birthday on the 27th. I know I am pushing it but I am trying to make an informed purchase and not regret it later on. The linked Tiger on Ebay looks like shiny plastic and very much like a toy. Is this to be expected from the HL tanks? I have no problem repainting them and adding details; I just want to be comfortable with the purchase.

I am leaning toward a Jagdtiger if I can find one that I can afford or something other than the standard heavy German armor that people seem attracted to. Maybe a DAK PZIII or PZIV? Are there any affordable US dealers that I should be looking at? Am I better looking on Ebay? Do I want to buy from Europe for a better variety?

I know I am missing a lot of information and rambling on here but I am trying to get everything together in my mind.

Thanks,

Skip
Old 02-13-2017, 08:13 AM
maillemaker

Hi Skip,

My feeling is that if you are going to go metal, then it's more cost effective to just buy the tank with the metal upgrades to begin with. If you go with metal tracks, you will want at least metal drive/idler wheels, and that extra weight will almost certainly require gearboxes with metal gears.

Especially with shipping, it's probably not a good deal money-wise to upgrade after the fact.

The only reason I've done it is to make the purchases over time at lower cost along and along. In other words you can get the wife to buy into a $80 tank now, $50 gearbox next month, $100 tracks the month after that, etc. etc.

Do the tanks use 3 or 4 channel radio control units? I have a friend that has some used airplane controls and boards that he does not use anymore. Are these compatible with the tanks?
I'm not sure. I think aircraft use different frequencies than ground stuff. But I don't know how things pan out with today's 2.4 GHz stuff.

But basically you can control backwards/forwards movement, super-spin turn, gradual turn, barrel elevation (it just cycles, no independent up/down), turret turn left/right (but not in a complete circle), gun fires, machine gun fires. On 2.4GHz system units you can turn the smoke on and off from the transmitter and adjust the volume from the transmitter.

The linked Tiger on Ebay looks like shiny plastic and very much like a toy. Is this to be expected from the HL tanks? I have no problem repainting them and adding details; I just want to be comfortable with the purchase.
The pictures on Ebay don't always do them justice; the Jagdpanther often looks lime green in the photos! I own a Heng Long Panzer III (grey), a HL Sherman, and two HL Jagdpanthers. I find the finish very good on all of them, though I repainted one of my Jagdpanthers because it came with metal wheels and tracks and they are bright metal unfinished.

The decals that come with the HL tanks are not always historically correct and they have a shiny finish to them, so if that bothers you you at least would want to hit them with some dull coat.

Here you can see my two Jagdpanthers. The one in the foreground is stock with stock decals, the one in the background is my own paint job with photo-etched vent covers and aftermarket decals:

Personally I think Crius' link for the $90 Tiger with 2.4 GHz with smoke and sound is a great deal for getting started.

I really like the saggy look of the metal tracks and even the sound is different. But it's basically another $100 and it means you have to some painting to make the drive/idler wheels match. You'll probably want to paint the tracks, too though they dirty up pretty quickly.

Also take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm new at this. Do whatever Crius says.

Steve

Last edited by maillemaker; 02-13-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:23 AM
maillemaker

Also be aware that, in my opinion, all of these tanks are "tinker toys" in that you will end up having to tinker with them a lot.

All 3 of my tanks that came with smokers quit smoking. The stock smokers are notoriously fickle and fragile.

2 of my tanks ended up with flaky airsoft guns. Seller replaced one of them. The other died too late.

My Sherman had a motor with a dead spot in it; seller replaced it.

Both my Jagdpanthers, metal and plastic, have a problem with the treads jumping the idler wheel. Heng Long tanks generally have no track tension adjustment so you have to do this by adding/removing links, which I have not bothered fiddling with - I just manually pull the tread teeth back into the groove in the wheel again when it jumps out.

Higher end tanks may not have these problems, I don't know. All I have are the "cheap" Heng Longs.

Honestly my best tank is my first one - a simple Heng Long Panzer III with no smoke and no sound. It's got first-generation electronics so it only has one speed, go fast and stop. But it's airsoft gun has never had a glitch and it will raise a welt if you shoot yourself with it. The problem with the P3 is it's road wheels are two-piece and it routinely sheds the outer hub. Tank keeps going find but you have to go hunt for your "hubcaps" in the grass. I just super-glued them on.

Steve
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 AM
pedzola

Hi Skip, i had a frustrating introduction to RC tanks. A couple things I found 1) It's great to have some service/support, and 2) you want a "4:1" gearbox in whatever tank you get.

I would start out with a plastic Imex Taigen Tiger. There are 4 models - early or late and airsoft or IR. The benefits of this model over the Heng Long:
- Support from Imex / Erik
- Metal chassis / suspension

Add a 4:1 gearbox and you have a great driving tank and excellent follow up service should anything go wrong. Tank is $240 I think and gearboxes $55 for the basic steel model last i checked.

The metal chassis and suspension components are worth $100 at least, not sure what it would cost to upgrade after but save yourself the frustration.

You can purchase direct from taigentanks.com and in the recent newsletter there was a coupon code for free shipping expiring tonight 2/13. FREESHIP75

Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM
pedzola

This is the tank I'm referring to: http://www.taigentanks.com/taigen/ti...lastic-early-g

Looks like the cheaper gearboxes are sold out. This is the newer better model for $70: http://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-ta...4010s?rq=4%3A1

Here is a youtube link to Erik showing off the Plastic model tiger: https://youtu.be/h8R3ZoBldsE