Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Which radio for tamiya leopard ?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Which radio for tamiya leopard ?

Old 02-13-2017, 02:44 AM
kultakala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio for tamiya leopard ?

Hi,

A friend of mine has a tamiya leopard which is just standard as it came out of the box.
He uses a very old 4 channel graupner radio from the eighties (27 MHz).
The tamiya needs fiddling around with the trim of all channels to get the special functions like firing the cannon, etc.

A few weeks ago he was not able to use some of the special functions anymore... i tried to find the fault and it seems that the trimming of the graupner radio is not centered anymore.
So, to get the normal driving functions you have to trim a little bit in one direction, for example "up". You can still use the special function which needs trimming down but for up there is not enough range.
As this is on multiple channels i assume that some of the electronic parts in the radio have aged too much and can not give the full output anymore, could that be possible ?

He dont want to fix the radio but wants to get a new one.

Of course with 2,4 GHz, also it should have already both sticks self centering. Most radios will not have that, right ?
What about the turnigy i6 or i6s ? According to the manual there it is not mentioned to swap the sticks when changing the mode, so they have self centering sticks on both sides ?

And i found a manual from carson about setting up their touch 10 channel radio for the tamiya.
You can set up a switch to change the channel ranges, so you dont have to use trimming for the special functions.
Would that be possible with the i6s ?

The carson is a re-labeled turnigy i10 i guess, or vice versa.
But its a little bit too expensive.

So, what would be the cheapest radio with 2 self centering sticks and with/without chance to use a switch instead of the trims ?

Would be great if someone would have a suggestion.

Thanks!

Regards,
Olaf
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 AM
rescue119

Look at this thread I posted last week. Lots of good suggestions

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-use-ibu2.html
Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this for the leo 1A4 or 2A6? Just wondering as the 1A4 doesn't have special funcitons unless modified and different electonics and such put in. If this is for the 2a6 it may be as simple as recalibrating the DMD/MF to the transmitter making sure all trims are in the neutral position.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 AM
kultakala

Originally Posted by rescue119
Look at this thread I posted last week. Lots of good suggestions

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-use-ibu2.html
Thanks, but this is for the IBU2 where you can defince functions for additional channels, i am not sure about the trim functions needed for the tamiya DMD.

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Is this for the leo 1A4 or 2A6? Just wondering as the 1A4 doesn't have special funcitons unless modified and different electonics and such put in. If this is for the 2a6 it may be as simple as recalibrating the DMD/MF to the transmitter making sure all trims are in the neutral position.
Its a 2A6... and i could not find something in the manual about recalibrating. There is a poti on the DMD for trimming the gun elevation function but this does not effect the trimming in general.
Have to look at the guide again...
Old 02-13-2017, 08:24 AM
TheBennyB

Look at step 46 on page 30 of manual at the initial setup. This sometimes needs to be done again over time.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kultakala
Thanks, but this is for the IBU2 where you can defince functions for additional channels, i am not sure about the trim functions needed for the tamiya DMD.

Its a 2A6... and i could not find something in the manual about recalibrating. There is a poti on the DMD for trimming the gun elevation function but this does not effect the trimming in general.
Have to look at the guide again...

I was going to say the same, recalibrate the tamiya DMD and done.

If he really wants another radio, any digital programable radio will be better than an analogic one. You could asign any switch to the functions instead of using the trims.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be aware that Graupner when bankrupt in 2012 and was bought out by SJ Incorporated, which is a South Korean company. Graupner Radios are Graupner in name only these days...
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 AM
kultakala

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Look at step 46 on page 30 of manual at the initial setup. This sometimes needs to be done again over time.
Thanks, i will try that out!

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
I was going to say the same, recalibrate the tamiya DMD and done.

If he really wants another radio, any digital programable radio will be better than an analogic one. You could asign any switch to the functions instead of using the trims.
So what would be one with a good value for price ? I am not sure if the i6s could do that.

Originally Posted by Jeff489
Be aware that Graupner when bankrupt in 2012 and was bought out by SJ Incorporated, which is a South Korean company. Graupner Radios are Graupner in name only these days...
Yes, i know.. was a good german company when i was young... still have a graupner charger...
Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM
kultakala

Okay, i tried to recalibrate/reset the DMD, but without success!

So my friend is needing a new radio... With 2 self centering sticks and preferable chance to program the trim function onto a switch.

I found a description that the fs-i6s also only has one self-centereing stick.
What about a Fly Sky FS-T6 ? I can get it from a local dealer with both sticks already set to centering.
Would it work to program a switch for setting the trim function of the DMD ?
Old 02-13-2017, 03:10 PM
LukeZ

I don't have a FlySky T6 but I do have an i6 with upgraded firmware (same as i6x) and I'm pretty sure it can't assign trim adjustments to a switch. It has the ability to create mixes that would probably work, but not to turn them on/off with a switch. Maybe you could fool it by having different rates on a flight mode switch but that seems unlikely. I don't think the T6 is going to have any capabilities the i6 doesn't.

The sort of mix required is probably a slightly advanced option so you're probably looking at something more expensive.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kultakala
Hi,

A friend of mine has a tamiya leopard which is just standard as it came out of the box.
He uses a very old 4 channel graupner radio from the eighties (27 MHz).
The tamiya needs fiddling around with the trim of all channels to get the special functions like firing the cannon, etc.

A few weeks ago he was not able to use some of the special functions anymore... i tried to find the fault and it seems that the trimming of the graupner radio is not centered anymore.
So, to get the normal driving functions you have to trim a little bit in one direction, for example "up". You can still use the special function which needs trimming down but for up there is not enough range.
As this is on multiple channels i assume that some of the electronic parts in the radio have aged too much and can not give the full output anymore, could that be possible ?

He dont want to fix the radio but wants to get a new one.

Of course with 2,4 GHz, also it should have already both sticks self centering. Most radios will not have that, right ?
What about the turnigy i6 or i6s ? According to the manual there it is not mentioned to swap the sticks when changing the mode, so they have self centering sticks on both sides ?

And i found a manual from carson about setting up their touch 10 channel radio for the tamiya.
You can set up a switch to change the channel ranges, so you dont have to use trimming for the special functions.
Would that be possible with the i6s ?

The carson is a re-labeled turnigy i10 i guess, or vice versa.
But its a little bit too expensive.

So, what would be the cheapest radio with 2 self centering sticks and with/without chance to use a switch instead of the trims ?

Would be great if someone would have a suggestion.

Thanks!

Regards,
Olaf

Hello,

The Futaba Skysport 2.4 is a proven basic, good value system. If you are NOT using the Tamiya Stabilization Unit, this radio will work and access all the other Tamiya Leo 2A6 features with minimal to no setup; a plug and play installation usually.

Get the Futaba Skysport 2.4 four channel system here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FZCLaQoduosMQA

Get a simple to install left stick spring centering kit for the radio here.

Parts required:
a. Qty one, Item HSP78901, Description 1M10A10401, ST-53 Swing Arm
b. Qty one, Item HSP67450, Description 8M00F01001, ST-411 Spring

To Order the Left Stick Centering Kit Contact:
Hobby Services
3002 N Apollo Drive
Suite 1
Champaign, IL 61822
1-217-398-0007

Again, If your using a Tamiya Main Gun Stabilization Unit in your Leo 2 this radio will not work to access that feature.

John
Old 02-13-2017, 11:17 PM
kultakala

Originally Posted by LukeZ
I don't have a FlySky T6 but I do have an i6 with upgraded firmware (same as i6x) and I'm pretty sure it can't assign trim adjustments to a switch. It has the ability to create mixes that would probably work, but not to turn them on/off with a switch. Maybe you could fool it by having different rates on a flight mode switch but that seems unlikely. I don't think the T6 is going to have any capabilities the i6 doesn't.

The sort of mix required is probably a slightly advanced option so you're probably looking at something more expensive.
I found this setup guide for the carson reflex stick ultimate touch.
http://www.carson-modelsport.com/Com...timate_eng.pdf

Shouldnt that work also for the FS-T6, using a dual rate setup ?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM
LukeZ

Ok, I've played around with my i6 a bit more. You can do the equivalent of what that Carson document recommends on the i6/T6 using dual rates assigned to a switch, but they only allow you to set dual rates on rudder, elevator and aileron - not the throttle channel.

For throttle there is an idle-up function that can be assigned to a switch and using the throttle curve settings you might be able to accomplish the same effect, but now you might have to flip two switches and of course I haven't tested this on an actual Tamiya.

Also note of course the i6/T6 don't come with both self-centering sticks. You can get a lever as discussed in the thread rescue linked to but now you are adding to the total cost, and you might start getting close to i10 / QX7 money.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:09 PM
kultakala

Thanks... i can get the T6 from a local dealer with both sticks self-centering.
But i was not sure if the switch programming would work.
The main functions needed are not on the throttle stick so this would be okay if assigment only works for 3 channels.

The i10 is hardly available in germany and then its the same price level as the carson (which is the same hardware, isnt it ?).
For the same money i can get a taranis x9d.
And the QX7 is not vailable at all, at least i could not find any.

So maybe i will give it a try with the T6.
Or my friend will
Old 02-14-2017, 04:11 PM
LukeZ

You did mention being able to get one with both sticks self-centered, I'd forgotten. Yes it sounds like the T6 may be a good solution then. It seemed like I remembered something to do with the throttle channel on the Tamiya but I see now that's just for the revving effect, and doesn't matter for driving. And I think even that could probably be programmed using the idle up function.

Let us know if it works!