Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

IR receivers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:55 AM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IR receivers?

I'm not a fan of the apple. I have been looking into what it would take to hide ir receivers on my tanks. The plan is to mount five of them, one in each hull side, one in the hull front, one in the hull rear, and one in the turret facing the front. This would make it possible to use hull down positions that offer added protection except for the direction the main gun is aimed.

Is this IR receiver compatible to the Tamiya specs?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10266
Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's easily done, I have with multiple tanks from the T-34 with them hidden in the engine grills for the side, the driver's visor in front and the exhaust in the rear. It works flawlessly, but no club will let you fight with it. If you're just fighting with your own tanks amongst friends, go for it. You only need to solder up a wiring harness with 4 sensors and a resistor, easy peasy.

I also did the same with a StuG, using the periscopes in the cupola to deflect the signal down to sensors in the hull and in the cupola vision slits of the Tiger I. But again, this was just to fight amongst my sons, no club will allow it.

In the Tiger, the LED is next to the sensor, in the Stug, the y use different periscope openings. The video shows that you can still have the 45 degree defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2uR9KtTJZg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpSZzFiF6I

Last edited by ausf; 02-18-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:21 AM
ausf

If you want sensors, I have a pile of them. The one you linked isn't correct.

I have the Sharp ones with the right specs. I'm not using them (I have emitters too) so I'll sell them to you for cost, however many you want. just PM me.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Dusty Steppes

I came across your videos while I was doing some research and that's what inspired me. I'm thinking of using four in the hull and one in the turret facing forward.

Unfortunately there are no clubs close to me so this would used for backyard bashing. If I ever make it to Danville it would be easy to mount an apple in the turret. I have come up with a method that allows me to temporarily mount an apple and it would be just a matter of swapping the connection to the MFU.

What receivers did you use?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just grab a vampire system.
http://www.rctankelectronics.com/sto...Receiver_.html
Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Component costs are less then $5 would be my guess.However time is money and the vampire system is all wired and ready to go. So if you value your time at more then $25/hrs then this is a good option.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 AM
ausf

Digikey won't let me access my sales history and there is way too many options to sort through. I put in the numbers that are on the sensors, but they don't get any hits on their website.

They are the same ones used by Tamiya, sorry I can't be more help. They are not the same as the ones shown in the Vampire system.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Dusty Steppes

Time is no concern, this is a hobby that allows me tinker.

Ausf, do you know what the specs are on the Tamiya receivers?

The specs listed in the pdf for the TSOP3848 are 38KHz with a typical range of 45 meters at the center frequency of 950nm.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:15 AM
ausf

Tamiya uses (or at least used to) Sharp receivers. Those specs sound about right, but there area few different types, i.e. solid molded, metal incased, etc. I don't know the difference in terms of reliability and performance, I just copied everything Tamiya did, even using theatrical filters to eliminate all other bands of light not in Infrared. I researched and amassed all of this to build apples that were TCs.

I had the pyramid mirror, the sensor, the belt was the opaque light filter and it even had fins in the design so it allowed slope defense. Problem was the slope defense wasn't as severe forward to back since a scale figure isn't that thick at the waist (unless I made him obese). The whole piece had the same base as a TBU, so it just plugged in, but instead of a mushroom, you had a TC or the same quality as my sculpts.

Then I came up against the reality of RC IR battlers: they are an immoveable force when it comes to change. So there was no reason to go into production with such a small market, I just did all of this just for fun in my back yard, which my sons outgrew. The last project was FPV, I bought the cameras and all but we never even got around to it.

So, the offer stands if you're interested, I'm not using the sensors, I have probably about 40 of them on hand, if you want them, I'll grab the invoices and get the price (it wasn't much) and send them your way. I'll even cut off a piece of the filter scrim sheet that'll get you to eliminate the sunlight interference. Better in your tank than taking up space in my shop. You don't need to buy all of them, just what you want.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Dusty Steppes

PM sent.