Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Turnigy 9x battery pack that actually fits!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Turnigy 9x battery pack that actually fits!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy 9x battery pack that actually fits!

I found this nimh battery pack, ordered one to see if it actually fit. The battery cover actually fit properly over the pack without any problems, unlike the battery pack that comes with the radio and causes problems with the cover. The battery drops right in and the cover slid in place so easily I just ordered a few more for my other radios.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1817729...&ul_noapp=true
Old 03-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, thanks for the find, but I recommend you to use this one: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...tter-pack.html
Old 03-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Dusty Steppes

Those do cost less but they are 1500 mAh. I'm not familiar with Life batteries.

What are their charging requirements?
What type storage do they require?
Is a low voltage alarm required?
Do they pose a fire risk similar to LiPos?
Etc...
Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Rad_Schuhart

They might be 1.500 mah, but they last me for months in my turnigy 9x. And my Radio is so modded that plays sounds, music and has lights on screen....
I have one charger for all kind of batteries (Ni CD, nihm, lipo, life, even I charge my car auto with it) is the Imax b6 and costed me something around 25 euros.

So I charge my battery with that charger and no problem.
I dont do any type of special storage. I fully charge them once, and recharge when they are low (My radio software tells me when it has low battery) I dont use any low voltage alarm. They have no memory effect so you can recharge when you like, and thats a great advantage.

Im not an expert but it seems that the lifepo are similar to lipo, BUT way safer to operate. I've been using them for years with no care, and never had a problem.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys using 9 volt batteries? I use a 3S lipo in my 9X and 9XR Pro, and get them here

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...tter-pack.html

This fits the 9xR Pro perfectly and also fits the 9X, but it is a tight fit. These are the only bats I've ever used in 9X series radios and they've never given me any trouble.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Originally Posted by Crius
Just out of curiosity, why are you guys using 9 volt batteries? I use a 3S lipo in my 9X and 9XR Pro, and get them here

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...tter-pack.html

This fits the 9xR Pro perfectly and also fits the 9X, but it is a tight fit. These are the only bats I've ever used in 9X series radios and they've never given me any trouble.

I have one of those ones in my 9xr pro. But I use the LIFEpo because are more stable. I've read a lot of times that the lipo batteries should never be charged and stored at full charge. The radios draw so low amperage that after hours playing you store your radio with the battery almost fully charged. Better to prevent than to cure...

So that's why I choose the lifepo ones.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Dusty Steppes

The NiMh pack is an 8 cell pack with 1.2 v per cell. I'm using them because I don't trust Lipo batteries.

The more I look into these Life batteries the more interested I get. They look like they have less of a voltage drop off than NiMh, are more compact and hold a charge longer and aren't a fire hazard like LiPos.

I bet a 3s Life would perform well in a tank if a voltage regulator was used to reduce the voltage to 7.2 volts prior to applying it the mfu.