Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ACE/AAF Battle Weekend Danville VA March 17-19 2017

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ACE/AAF Battle Weekend Danville VA March 17-19 2017

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACE/AAF Battle Weekend Danville VA March 17-19 2017

It's that time tankers! First tank event of the year at the worlds largest indoor r/c battlefield. Book your hotel rooms now if need be and start going through your tanks for maintenance. This will be a Rolling Thunder event with planned scenarios and chains of command as well as logistics, arty, minefields, etc. This is a stock apple configuration event with the exception that fixed guns can run TFA if you wish. We will be doing brief inspections to make sure we're all on the up and up. This will cover:

Tank taking hits and dying according to class.
Emitter tube depth and width. (no greater than 6mm ID and no less than 9mm from the front of the tube to the front of the bulb)
No blockage of the IR reciever and proper configuration.
On road speeds with a +2 allowance.
Visible flash in the barrel.

We will also be running more casual battles in the mornings as well as Rolling Thunder orientations and briefings. If you don't have an IR tank ready still come check out the action and with such a great bunch of people there are usually participants more than willing to loan out a tank to check out and possibly battle with. At this event we are also going to start briefings and demo's on 2 person operated tanks for battles. I've included the schedule and Rolling Thunder "cheat sheet." Post up if you are thinking of attending or have any questions. Looking forward to seeing everyone and hopefully seeing some new faces as well.

https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
Attached Thumbnails ACE-AAF Event Mar 2017 Schedule.pdf  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RollingThunderBattles7.pdf (1.28 MB, 33 views)
Old 02-14-2017, 08:01 AM
skip2a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am almost positive that my son and I will be down late on Friday night. We are attending the HMGS (Historical Miniatures Gaming Society) convention in Lancaster on Friday and will probably leave there around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. MapQuest says it is about a 6.5 hour drive down.

I would love to see some of these vehicles close up, get a feel for the electronics and suspension: reading about it is great but I am more of a hands on type of guy. Unfortunately I doubt I will have one to bring down with me by then. I'm also hoping to meet some of the different club people and see who is in my general area. Being able to try one would be a great experience.

Skip
Old 02-14-2017, 08:16 AM
TheBennyB

Cool Skip. You guys going to grab a hotel room for friday night and show up first thing saturday? I'll keep an eye out for ya.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 AM
skip2a

The Days Inn says it is only 6 or 8 miles from the Museum. I guess we will arrive down there between 9 and 10 Friday night. Will stay Friday and Saturday night and head home on Sunday.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:34 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by skip2a
The Days Inn says it is only 6 or 8 miles from the Museum. I guess we will arrive down there between 9 and 10 Friday night. Will stay Friday and Saturday night and head home on Sunday.
Awesome. Check out the Comfort inn. It's a little more pricey but also only a couple minutes from the museum and where most of us stay since it has a restaurant and nice pool area for after parties when the weather cooperates. If weather is crumby we usually just convert someones room into a tankers lounge for a couple beverages and talking shop.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 02-14-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:54 PM
991tanker

I am going to try and make it but my son may have basketball playoffs on the 18th,will there be battles on the 19th also.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:10 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by 991tanker
I am going to try and make it but my son may have basketball playoffs on the 18th,will there be battles on the 19th also.
Yes, battles are on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
TheBennyB

Some past battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpW8yVAzPMk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0NEYg0VOY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoVypcNH3-g&t=2s
Old 02-16-2017, 06:31 AM
DaveBcool

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Awesome. Check out the Comfort inn. It's a little more pricey but also only a couple minutes from the museum and where most of us stay since it has a restaurant and nice pool area for after parties when the weather cooperates. If weather is crumby we usually just convert someones room into a tankers lounge for a couple beverages and talking shop.
If you call the comfort Inn, make sure to say that you are there for the Tank Museum and they will give you a discounted price.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:19 AM
manchu9inf

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I will be attending with Wyatt!
Old 03-05-2017, 12:07 AM
CustomRCmodels

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
It's that time tankers! First tank event of the year at the worlds largest indoor r/c battlefield. Book your hotel rooms now if need be and start going through your tanks for maintenance. This will be a Rolling Thunder event with planned scenarios and chains of command as well as logistics, arty, minefields, etc. This is a stock apple configuration event with the exception that fixed guns can run TFA if you wish. We will be doing brief inspections to make sure we're all on the up and up. This will cover:

Tank taking hits and dying according to class.
Emitter tube depth and width. (no greater than 6mm ID and no less than 9mm from the front of the tube to the front of the bulb)
No blockage of the IR reciever and proper configuration.
On road speeds with a +2 allowance.
Visible flash in the barrel.

We will also be running more casual battles in the mornings as well as Rolling Thunder orientations and briefings. If you don't have an IR tank ready still come check out the action and with such a great bunch of people there are usually participants more than willing to loan out a tank to check out and possibly battle with. At this event we are also going to start briefings and demo's on 2 person operated tanks for battles. I've included the schedule and Rolling Thunder "cheat sheet." Post up if you are thinking of attending or have any questions. Looking forward to seeing everyone and hopefully seeing some new faces as well.

https://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
http://www.customrcmodels.com/ace/ac...ember_2017.htm
Old 03-06-2017, 06:12 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Hey Bret, apparently you didn't get the memo, but they've added a disclaimer and now it's supposed to read, "The world's largest indoor RC tank battlefield, UNTIL GARY WINS THE LOTTERY!"
Old 03-06-2017, 09:19 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Crius
Hey Bret, apparently you didn't get the memo, but they've added a disclaimer and now it's supposed to read, "The world's largest indoor RC tank battlefield, UNTIL GARY WINS THE LOTTERY!"
He he! I'd be all for it. Regional battles leading up to a national championship.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:26 PM
TheBennyB

Just a couple days till the event tankers!! Looking forward to getting in some trigger time and seeing everyone. Hopefully the snow gets cleared out by Thurs/Fri for everyone to travel safely. If anyone has any questions on anything post up or PM me.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:54 AM
CustomRCmodels

This is a last minute announcement for the upcoming Rolli’n Thunder R/C tank battle event this weekend at the AAF tank museum in Danville , VA
https://www.facebook.com/events/881905495245181/?active_tab=discussion
“ 2 man tank battles “
Later on this year we are planning an R/C tank battle event with 2 man tanks –
Which means we will have 2 people operating one tank –
One is the driver – the other is the gunner –

We have done that already a few times in the past and it is a blast !
During our this weekends Rolli’n Thunder event we want to get a head start on this –

How is this done ? –
fairly simple :
2x receivers in one tank –
to one receiver we connect the driving channels = throttle and turning = channels 1+2
and the second receiver will be connected to the turret / gun functions = channels 3+4

I would like to ask any of you are coming this weekend ,
if you have it , bring a second R/C system with you
= transmitter and a matching receiver
preferable Tamiya DMD/MFU compatible 2.4 ghz systems , since with them we don’t have a interference issues inside the tanks –
no need for computerized fancy R/C systems , just 2x ordinary 4 channel stick radios will work fine
like the Futaba 4YF , the Museums shop has them in stock :
https://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/ProductDetails.asp…
( as well the parts needed for the spring-loaded throttle setup )
this Futaba 4YF has a very small receiver , easy to install 2x of them in one tank
you don’t have to use 2x of the same brand / model R/C systems , you can mix /match here ,
as long that system will work with the Tank DMD/MF units ( there are some exceptions , some 2.4Ghz systems don’t work very well or not at all with the DMD/MF units )
any older 2.4 ghz systems , like that old first 6 channel DSM Spektrum park-flyer system ,
the DX6 works good too ( I still use a lot of them for my trucks and tanks )
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx…
the cheap FlySky systems , like the simple CT6 will work too –
just for the driving functions you could even use a 2 channel pistol grip transmitter , which is actually fun for the driving ( though not a good choice for a Pershing or any other tank on which you have to engage the driving function via the trims , but still can be done )
there are several options how this can be done , but I am not covering everything now , that would get to long –
if you are interested in this 2 man tank action , just bring whatever you have as spare R/C system and we will see how we get it to work
again, this is mend as an introduction to the upcoming 2 man tank battle event later on this year

when we did it first , years ago , I furnished a bunch of 75mhz synthesized 5 channel Novak receivers ,
which worked fairly well – but with other 75 mhz systems , like the ones have full range receivers with the long antennas created some issues – can be done too , but requires a little more work –
therefore Tamiya DMD/MFU compatible 2.4 ghz systems are recommend / preferred

if anybody is interested in more reading about R/C systems / stick-modes / DMD-MF functions / setups / simple trick for the gun-firing without having to have a firing button installed on your transmitter , read these write ups I did several years ago :
How to convert your Transmitter for independent control of the machine gun and main gun firing
http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id79.htm

Transmitter stick modes
http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id92.htm

Tamiya DMD/MF setup and functions
http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id77.htm

Willy
CustomRCmodels / TankACE
http://www.customrcmodels.com
http://www.TankACE.org
Old 03-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up RE: ACE/AAF Battle Weekend Danville VA March 17-19 2017

Oh man the 2 member tank crew battle, I gotta try this sometime and the museum is the only place that will do it!

Too bad I can't make it this week... what a blast it will be.

Jeff
Old 03-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I still think the best way to do the two man battle is to give the turret operator a FPV system to use. FPV on a tank is a whole different ball game. I personally have got over 200m with my tank and a cheap 25mW VTX with my goggles with no breakup. Gotta love those patch antennas

Infrared FPV battles would be quite intense, if only we had a nice OSD to display hits and stats we would be set! I wish I could of made it down this spring, maybe later in the year!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170316_151222.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	2205546  
Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Panther F

I agree with you there, a birds eye view just isn't very real but...

... this will still be a riot!

Jeff
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Imex-Erik

I love anything FPV, whether it be tanks, cars, planes, or quads I'm down I spend so much money on FPV I claim it at the end of the year lol. Tanks are a completely different game though, using the turret to look around while looking for a trail is quite relaxing to me. I now have audio going too so I can hear most stuff around me as well. I suggest the experience for everyone that can afford it, exploring with a tank is very fun.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:33 PM
TheBennyB

yea, it's not real but still the best for battling. Done the fpv stuff and the loss of peripheral/overview just kills the flow of battle even if it's just the gunner/turret operator. Also makes it so the goggle operator has to stay put and can't walk around the battlefield which means your stuck in ear shot of the driver. Fun for a bit, just not practical.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Imex-Erik

Yea I understand there. It would definitely put you at a disadvantage when it came to scouting the field, but if you could get everyone to do it I think it would be much more fun. An FPV setup only runs ~$100 max if you know what you are looking for, I'll have to put something up sometime showing how to get into it the right way the first time. You can of course get cheap components, but it is best to get a good camera and VTX. I found a VTX with a dipole antenna that can be put on the tank and it doesn't look bad at all actually, just hard to source it and it gets VERY warm.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Martellus

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I still think the best way to do the two man battle is to give the turret operator a FPV system to use. FPV on a tank is a whole different ball game. I personally have got over 200m with my tank and a cheap 25mW VTX with my goggles with no breakup. Gotta love those patch antennas

Infrared FPV battles would be quite intense, if only we had a nice OSD to display hits and stats we would be set! I wish I could of made it down this spring, maybe later in the year!

I still want to do a multi man, multi turret tank some day.

Those goggles just take an analog signal right? I am curious how a vr headset (with actual depth perception) might be able to be setup with an fpv feed, but worried about signal conversion/delay among other things
Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Martellus
I still want to do a multi man, multi turret tank some day.

Those goggles just take an analog signal right? I am curious how a vr headset (with actual depth perception) might be able to be setup with an fpv feed, but worried about signal conversion/delay among other things
These are the Dominator V3 goggles, the module used is an open source diversity 5.8GHz receiver with a Pagoda omni + Patch antenna. It does however accept either the module input, AV analog in, or HDMI input. It also supports 3D as well since each eyepiece is separate and has very nice optics. I have yet to test 3D yet though.
There are plenty of FPV to phone adapters but most all are pretty crappy and have a pretty decent delay. For a piggyback set of goggles they wouldn't be too bad, but for the operator it would be difficult at best IMO. These goggles are not cheap ($380ish before the antennas & module) but there are cheaper alternatives that work almost just as well.
Since FPV is only 640x480 anyways (unless you run the Connex system @ $400!) getting a high resolution screen or even just a large one can actually make things worse. When the screen gets so big that it takes time for your eyes to travel from one side to another instead of seeing the whole screen at once you can start to get headaches for long durations. I have my goggles on for at least 10-15 hours a week and I need something comfortable and portable and splurged for these as an early bday present for myself.

Edit: as for the "actual depth perception" I think you would be very surprised at how you can judge distances even with a 2.5mm lens at 50+ mph The fps of the analog is very smooth and makes up for it IMO a lot. I have not moved over to the Connex system yet due to the price and the size, maybe in another year or so....

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 03-17-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Panther F

I hope to see some video action from Danville with the 2 man crew.

Someday I'd like to explore an on-board camera & screen system to play around with. But, it's just not high on my priorities right now as just $100.00 can keep me from finishing a tank.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Martellus

Is that resolution total or per eye?

I have been using 2160x1200 total resolution, but that is through some Fresnels so it doesn't entirely encompass my vision. Totally headache free though if adjusted properly. I just would like to setup a gimbal or 360 camera out of the cupola on a vehicle at some point, I think it would be a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.