RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

A Noobs First Battle

Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 AM
skip2a

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default A Noobs First Battle

Hello all. I took my 12 year old son and drove down to the AAF Museumin Danville Va this past weekend to give RC combat a try. We both agreed thatit was the best weekend we have had in a very long time and unfortunately formy bank account we are both hooked on this. I see much more money being spentin the near future on tanks.
If you havenít met the guys from ACE or visited the AAFMuseum you are really missing out. The museum is incredible and huge; not big,HUGE. We took about an hour and a half at lunch time and looked through thevehicles/guns. That was all that we saw, there are uniforms, patches, rifles, toysand untold other treasures there waiting to be discovered. I would say a fulltwo days would be a good amount of time to try to see everything that is thereand truly enjoy and understand what you are seeing.
The ACE guys are great. We had no clue what we were doingand by mid-day on Saturday both of us were running on the field. They helped mefigure out problems with my tank, loaned my son one to run with, taught us botha lot in a very short period of time. We made friends, learned things and had ablast (pun intended) on the battle field.
My experience with my tank wasnít so much fun but it was alearning process and I felt a lot better afterwards. I bought it used a fewweeks ago and only ran it for about a half an hour. I had planned on spendingmore time with it but work and life got in the way so I was unprepared for someof it. Like a true noob I didnít have a tool kit or any spare parts or my ownreal charger: all things that will be corrected for the next trip.
Check in started out ok; my 4.1 gear boxes and the weight ofthe all metal Tiagen Tiger did great at the proper speed. My IR system workedproperly and I could hit other vehicles and receive hits. We found a problemduring the check in with it being blocked. My commanders hatch would not fold down so it blocked theright side of the IR receiver; that needed fixed. Trying to remove the hatch resultedin the accidental removal of the commanderís copula and a wire or two from theIR receiver base. I didnít realize this until after the first battle. I took hits;the tank shook but I did not light up. It did shut down after 9 hits. Betweenbattles an ACE guy tore it apart, soldered and reinstalled the socket for me.
My IR bulb was also not properly installed in the mantle soI had to make sure that I was in front of teammates so that I would not causefriendly fire issues.
Halfway through the first battle I lost turret movement. Themain drive gear in the traverse gearbox had a chunk out of it and it would lockup. I spent the entire weekend trying to figure out how to get it to work. Iwent from being afraid of breaking something while changing a battery to tearingthat gearbox apart a dozen or so times over the weekend. The museum had spareparts for Tamiyaís but nothing for my Tiagen.
My transmitter does not have a return spring on the rightstick so I had a Tiger running around on its own on occasion or going where Ididnít really want or need it to go. Without the auto center return I wasovercompensating on returning the stick and it made for some interestingmovements on the field. Unfortunately I was able to flip it over on its side; I didnít thinkthat it would, lol.
I was not used to the Clark board settings soelevation/depression of the barrel often resulted in firing the main gun at themost inopportune of times. Once again a good learning experience. I have a post up now on how to address that issue.
Thanks for the knowledge of the ACE guys I had my beastback on the field by late afternoon Saturday. I used it as a TD Tiger and pivotedthe tank to compensate for turret movement. It was doable and fun. I actuallyhad a few kills and survived a few battles.
Sunday brought about some more creative turret repairs and Ihad about 30 degrees movement on the front for the morning; it was a lot morefun.
Lessons learned, mental notes taken and new friends made. Myson is usually very quiet and to see him out there on his own interacting withpeople was great; it made the 6.5 hour drive well worth it. We werenítí on theroad home for five minutes when he asked when we are going to return.

Thanks to our list members, ACE guys and museum staff for a great weekend!

Skip

Skip

Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM
TheBennyB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was a pleasure to meet you Pat and Colin. Hope to see you again at the museum.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:29 AM
sevoblast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Skip, you will always find a great group of lads at Museum. I used to go, we had a good club in Jax and we used to go up in a small convoy. Long drive but we did it from '03 through '05. Danville Meets are one of the few things I miss since I moved east, comradery is grand, everyone helping everyone and Choir Practice after hours is a cast iron ball.

You will learn with time what spare parts and what tools to bring with you and you will learn very quickly how to do almost anything on the tank in minutes. Your son will totally enjoy the experience as he did this time from your description. Am I a to presume you will be obtaining a tank for the lad next?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM
phordman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know your feelng, I was a NOOB about a year ago, now I have 4 tanks...
Old 03-21-2017, 02:27 AM
skip2a

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevoblast View Post
Skip, you will always find a great group of lads at Museum. I used to go, we had a good club in Jax and we used to go up in a small convoy. Long drive but we did it from '03 through '05. Danville Meets are one of the few things I miss since I moved east, comradery is grand, everyone helping everyone and Choir Practice after hours is a cast iron ball.

You will learn with time what spare parts and what tools to bring with you and you will learn very quickly how to do almost anything on the tank in minutes. Your son will totally enjoy the experience as he did this time from your description. Am I a to presume you will be obtaining a tank for the lad next?
I believe he will inherit my Tiger. The Tiger is his favorite tank out of all of the ones he has seen.

I have been looking for an affordable kit to buy for myself but haven't had any luck yet.

Skip
Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 AM
sevoblast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buy a Tamiya kit from AAF Museum. Kits come with everything including the 'plug and play' electronics but the radio, batteries and battle system but battle system is 'plug and play' also. AAF has the best prices around.

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/search...s.asp?cat=1838
Old 03-21-2017, 02:53 AM
skip2a

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevoblast View Post
Buy a Tamiya kit from AAF Museum. Kits come with everything including the 'plug and play' electronics but the radio, batteries and battle system but battle system is 'plug and play' also. AAF has the best prices around.

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/search...s.asp?cat=1838
I looked quickly in the PX on Saturday but didn't have enough cash on me to buy one. I also torn as to what to get; I like the KT but also the PZIV. I am worried about a medium tank: I tried a Sherman while there and it was too fast for me/ Maybe once I got used to it I would have less trouble. I would love a StuG but I don't know about converting everything to a Tamiya electrical set up; I'm still not comfortable with it all.

Skip
Old 03-21-2017, 04:44 AM
Panther F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's great to see another recruit get hooked on battling tanks... and Danville is the place to do it right.

The Tamiya Sherman (in it's basic kit form) is about the most affordable to start with but sounds like you tried out a tank that was just a bit more responsive than your own, but the speed and throttle is something you will get used to fast. There are many ways to slow that response and even the speed down through gearing, motors and even servo speed which is what the Turnigy chip can do. There are many here that can help you with what works best at Danville on a Sherman.

Converting a HL Stug to other electronics isn't that difficult but using a turretless tank at Danville is a tiny handicap. Again, so many here can help you build it IF that's what you want.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Rustytrax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hands down the best heavy fighters are the panther and pershing. I think the Panther is better since you can work on it more esily than the pershing.

Both will benifit from a metal elevation arm. A set of 480s in the panther makes it move once damaged. The pershing is very solid but the heavy barrel takes is toll on the elevation unit.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:08 AM
sevoblast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2a View Post
I looked quickly in the PX on Saturday but didn't have enough cash on me to buy one. I also torn as to what to get; I like the KT but also the PZIV. I am worried about a medium tank: I tried a Sherman while there and it was too fast for me/ Maybe once I got used to it I would have less trouble. I would love a StuG but I don't know about converting everything to a Tamiya electrical set up; I'm still not comfortable with it all.

Skip

King Tiger is the easier to build of the two by far and it's a good fighter with lots of room inside. We will all help you with the build and with what little to do to him to get him bullet proof. Sherman is an excellent medium and very easy to build. For his size there's lots of room in him, too, and if you want to come to the dark side with us just make him a captured unit, 'Beute Panzer'. It's not unusual, at least for us. My wife has of course a T34 and a Beute Panther in winter white. My lass is a vicious fighter, too.

I did the Sherm before we had P4's and such, back on '04. All you really have to do is give him a German paint job with the crosses and have at him. I added T34 scraps of armor and a P4 7.5 cm main gun. He's a pretty good fighter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016zzz.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2206396  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 AM
Martellus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Stug is a really fun tank to use, I love mine. If you are playing with TFA rules, you can be really mobile, aggressive or defensive. Its a lot of fun.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Green Amphibian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want a StuG III, I have one for sale all set up for battle. PM me for details if you are interested.

Herman
Old 03-23-2017, 04:05 AM
skip2a

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Amphibian View Post
If you want a StuG III, I have one for sale all set up for battle. PM me for details if you are interested.

Herman
Herman:

Thanks for posting. I looked at your StuG several times on Saturday and love it (you showed me how to trim the turret noise on my Tiger with the Clark board).

If I was going to buy another finished tank yours would be the one!

I believe I want to build one with my son. It will help us both understand how to fix and maintain it better.

Skip
Old 03-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Green Amphibian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Building your own is a great way to learn how everything works and will make trouble shooting much easier too. The two of you will enjoy working on it together also.

Herman
Old 03-24-2017, 04:30 AM
Panther F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2a View Post

I believe I want to build one with my son. It will help us both understand how to fix and maintain it better.

Skip

That's a great attitude to take, building it to understand it.

Too many buy brand new in the box RTR's and then later haven't a clue how to or what to do to repair it. While it's great to buy someone else's built tank, it's also great to have built at least one to understand it from the ground up.

I've seen Hermans StuG and it would be a nice one to have.

Search this Thread