Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Quick Panther ID

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Panther ID

I found this today while looking or differences in Panthers.
Thought it might be a good quick reference chart. https://forum.warthunder.com/index.p...n-for-dummies/

This is good for me since i bought a Panther F kit from Taigen thinking it's and F. Ah nope! I already added the bonnet over the mantlet but i need to add the muzzel brake.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

No muzzle brake was to be fitted even though the second prototype turret is shown with one, the recoil of 18 metric tons on the modified Kw.K.42 instead of 12 was why they were not installed.

So a production Panther F would have had no muzzle brake.

But it is modeling and a different look for sure!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Rustytrax

Cool, that's one less thing on the to-do list.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:49 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It took just 10 seconds to notice all the faults on their descriptions which started with the A model, the very first A models produced by M.A.N still had the drum cupola and the letterbox MG flap they only way to spot this A variant is by the addition of the loader periscope in the turret roof which was not fitted to D model after that the rest of the early A models still retained the letterbox MG flap along with the cast cupola these are not a mixture of D hull and A turret, later A variants had the Kugleblende fitted, the description of the G is also wrong the Chin mantle was in fact the third gun mantle designed and not all G models had the chin mantle including the latter variants all through the G production the standard mantle was produced this never went out of production the G with A turret is completely wrong as both turrets were the same design.

As the feature was so poorly researched I didn’t bother with the F variant or the Panther II, the writer clearly doesn’t understand the differences between the variants, sorry if this sounds somewhat condescending but people new to Panther variants will read that article and repeat the same errors.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Rustytrax

I believe the point of this article was a simplified easy ID and not a comprehensive break down of the evolution of the tank. Just the same as PC operation for DUMMIES type articles.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The article is incorrect this leads as you so elecantly put it DUMMIES to incorrectly ID various Panther if you want a comprehensive breakdown then we can discuss the 4 different types of jack brackets for the D model or the 4 different types of tool stowage brackets for the D model hitherto I didn’t give a comprehensive breakdown of Panther, by the way PC operation for DUMMIES type articles still has to rely on facts hence your argument is invalid.