RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya King Tiger Build

Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 PM
tpallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart View Post
I want to install a gearbox brace too, but Im a bit scared of drilling the holes wrong and having misalignement. Hope somebody makes a gearbox brace that does not need to enlarge the holes.

I want to replace the idler tensioner too (No idea which one to install) and replace the tracks with a metal ones. Does anybody know if the mato tracks are compatible with the tamiya sprochets? I have heard mixed opinions.
To pile onto Robert's response to your first comment, the hull brace installation is pretty much idiot proof. All you need to do is use the existing 4 holes as a guide to enlarge.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:05 PM
tpallas

On to installing the upgrade idler system kit. This portion is more complicated than the hull brace so I've been taking my time to read through the directions multiple times. Maybe Robert can chime in as I work through it. I want to make sure I take my time to get this installed correctly.

Here's the kit as arrived from ETO Armor:

The included instructions are for replacing the stock system in a built tank but the differences seem pretty minimal.

I started by replacing the long screws on the reinforcing plates with the included short screws. I then trial fitted everything into place:

So far, so good, I believe. One question is, do I install the springs now, or after the track is installed?

Here is the current placement of the idler arm - is this approximately correct?

Next up is to prime the idler arm and wheels and hopefully get this thing permanently installed.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:32 PM
tpallas

Made some progress today on the idler system install. I permanently installed the bar and wheels, being sure to apply grease in the areas indicated. Next I installed the four longer screws with nuts, two on each side, that are the spring anchors.

Next I cut out both springs to 1.25 and 1.5 inches per the instructions and put a loop on each end.

Installed the primed idler arm:

And lastly, installed the main springs.

I then installed the rear plate sans accessories as I plan on painting these separately and installing once complete.

I did end up with a minor gap on these two side pieces which I hope is OK. They do wobble around slightly if you move them (the instructions did not indicate to glue them to the main rear panel).

Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 AM
tpallas

Next up is to give the lower hull one last coat of primer to cover the screws, scratches, and rear plate in preparation for the base coat of dunkelgelb. As you can see there is a bit still needing primer:

And all masked up:

I have a can of Tamiya spray dunkelgelb coming in the mail, so the plan is to paint the lower hull as you can see it, and paint the sprocket, idler assembly and road wheels seperately, and then install on the tank.

In the meantime I received a nice order from rctank.de. First is an exhaust kit so I can add a smoker:

Metal accessories pack, which I pretty much bought for the functioning light, but the pieces are great as well:

And an antenna:

Last edited by tpallas; 04-20-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Embedding pictures is now a hot dumpster fire
Old 04-21-2017, 05:38 AM
fury69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

looks great!....that's a big tank!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:48 AM
Panther F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Thumbs up

Nice, clean work done here.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM
tpallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fury69 View Post
looks great!....that's a big tank!
Thanks! I like the size, a lot to work with and easier to fix mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Nice, clean work done here.
Thanks!! So far so good but the painting is where I'll really need help.

I do have the Tamiya TS-3 spray dunkelgelb coming in the mail. I gave the lower hull one last shot in preparation to spray it as soon as it arrives:

While I wait I've cut out and cleaned up the road wheel plastic parts, and primed the metal inner wheels.

Question...my plan of action was to prime the plastic parts with Tamiya grey primer, spray all individual parts dunkelgelb, and then assemble. Or should I assemble the primed parts and spray the completed wheel as one piece? The directions show as:

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 PM
novaris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting
I've just completed my kt build.

As for the wheels, do a test fit without the screws and you can see how much it overlaps and what areas do not require paint.

The metal road wheels do not require paint in the centre on the inside surface as the plastic discs will cover that area. So you will need to paint the perimeter walls of the inside and all exterior surfaces even though it may be hard to see once the wheels are installed.

I must say the manual is a little confusing esp on the on off switch position

Good luck finding a suitable carrying case. I'm having troubles with it
Old 04-22-2017, 08:29 PM
TheBennyB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd assemble the wheels then spay with dunkel. Avoids any issues of paint getting in the assemblies. For a carrying case, keep an eye out for tool boxes on sale the local hardware and grab some foam to put in. Just make sure to take measurements of the KT with you, especially height and length with that barrel.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 AM
tpallas

Thanks guys, that is very helpful advice. Do I spray the camo pattern on the sprocket, road wheels and idler after they have been installed?

In the meantime the Tamiya TS-3 arrived so I've sprayed the lower hull:

Next on to the sprockets and idler assembly, and then the road wheels.

Couple of random questions -

What is the best way to clean/prep the surface prior to painting? I noticed I had some small hairs, fibers, etc.

Also, any thoughts on this airbrush set for the beginner:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXSL6&P=SM

Thanks!

Last edited by tpallas; 04-23-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
tpallas

Getting cracking on the road wheels!

Primed inner metal pieces, 2 per wheel:

Primed (with Tamiya grey primer) inner and outer wheels with caps on:

Been using this glue and the applicator tip is really incredible:

Grease up the axle:

Inserting bearings:

And screw on the rear plate:

Masked off the axles and ready for dunkelgelb:

Old Today, 06:17 AM
Panther F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update, and the inspiration too. I need to get back on my Jagdpanther.

These are nice and clear images too.

Search this Thread