Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Introducing the all new IBU2 Ultimate (IBU2U)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:42 AM
Tankbear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Introducing the all new IBU2 Ultimate (IBU2U)

Some of you will have noticed IBU2’s have been hard to obtain from retailers, this is because production had stopped at the end of 2016. The IBU2 Ultimate is its replacement.

It is a totally redesigned board with revised firmware and enhanced features. The base version will still have 4 channel inputs, the pro is been renamed Full Option (FO) and now has 8 channel inputs.

Features

IBU2U Base contains all the features of the existing IBU2 base plus
· Digitally mixed sound (multiple sounds can be played at once)
· 16bit sounds & 8bit sounds can be used and inter mixed
. Every sound file can have its volume adjusted independently to all other sounds.
· 5 Pin plug support for xenon flash unit, with airsoft micro-switch input
· Taigen airsoft recoil support
· Dual smoker ports (1 proportional for fan, 1 switched for heater)
· Improved driver controls, supports up to 20A continuous motor output
· 10W sound amplifier, with user defined limiter so can use stock 3w speaker
· Support for up to 16Gb capacity microSD cards (yes you can have days’ worth of sounds)
· MicroSD card now easier access on top of IBU2
· Expansion port for future modules
· Brake light works even with momentum turned off
· Improved servo recoil action (fast return, slowing to a stop)
. 3 Engine cold and warm start and stop sounds (randomly played)
· 3 Machine gun sounds (randomly played)
· 3 Main guns sounds (randomly played)
· Engine revving without tank moving
. Easy to setup, following recorded guiding voice instructions
. User can update firmware themselves

IBU2U FO contains all the features of the existing IBU2 Pro plus

· All the above base features
· Volume control via radio channel
· 4 user sound effects of unlimited file size (must fit microSD size)
· 8 channel inputs
· Supports clutch style gearboxes
. Exclusive sound tank sets will be available
. Choice of 6 inertia curves

Some of the major improvements

User can update the firmware, by simply adding the file to the microSD card and turning on the IBU2U.
User can upgrade a base to a FO by simply buying a license key from the manufacturer and updating the same way as a firmware update.
Easy radio to IBU2U calibration with auto detection of channels and reverse

SIze comparison pictures

Connection details

Manual

[ATTACH]2213205[/IMG]

Videos

Here’s a quick video of the IBU2U FO in a heavy T90 chassis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8UjWugXKdk
Here’s a video of the simplified calibration process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPA1guTrUs8
Here’s a video of the duel smoker output giving better smoke output
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTnRmrgsM8Q
Here’s a video playing with different speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mDUXKelH-c
Attached Thumbnails 5-ibu2_ultimate_manual_english_v1.pdf   5-ibu2_ultimate_manual_english_v1.pdf  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:03 AM
phordman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hum interesting, I wonder what Ill be getting as replacements, Ian said he's been out for a while and expects shipment end of next week.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Looks cool. Ok whos going to be the beta testers?
i like the ibu2. I have 6 but I have also encountered a good hand full of faulty boards with various issues that were not all the same retailer.
I hope those issues are gone now with the new board design.
looking forward to seeing this on the field and will probably be getting them once my tank projects catch up to my electronics supply.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Cruiser133

Needless to say I will be watching others first before I pull the trigger to buy....
Old 05-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Cruiser, what happened to you has me scared to even test the two IBU Pros I got from the same place you got yours. I have two projects for them (one will go in the PzIII and the other in the Panther G with the laser sight system), but the Hetzer has been hoggin' up all my modeling time lately.

That reminds me, does the IBU2 Pro have a 5 volt power output anywhere? Hopefully filtered? I'll have to look, unless someone knows, because that would be a good thing for the transmitter for the laser sight FPV in the Panther G. That's all I'm waiting on, so maybe soon. The screen attached to the 9X is completely self contained, charges the built in battery with any phone charger, scans at the touch of a button and picks up any 5.8 GHz signal from whatever TX you're using in the tank, and I already know it works great with the Mobius in the docking station. Anybody else got the FPV bug? Sorry to get off topic like that, and if there's interest I'll start a separate thread.

[ATTACH]2213243[/IMG]

[ATTACH]2213244[/IMG]

[ATTACH]2213245[/IMG]

What do you guys think? Would it make shootin' at the squirrels more fun? I wouldn't count on it much for accuracy, after all, it's still an airsoft tank and they shoot maybe 75 feet on a good day with a tailwind.

I've been whinin' about the new software and large photos but that worked well. I wonder if it's been updated or if I was just doin' it wrong before, but til now I haven't been able to get photos to post like this. EDIT: and didn't this time, see edit below

I don't know why it posts the photos again at the bottom (if it does when I click submit) but I'm not crazy about that. No biggie, though. I still don't like the little faces (smilies, imoges (sp?), whatever you call them).

EDIT: Ok, this looks nothing like it did in the preview when I was writing it. The photos there were large and easy to see. I really don't like the new software and probably won't try to post photos again. This is really bummin' me out.

And that purple sad face looks gay. There, I said it. So sue me. To say I'm not a happy camper with the recent changes would be an understatement of truly epic proportion.

I'll give a nice prize to the guy who can tell me where I stole that line in red.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_144815_zpsmbhbwokl.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	2213243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_145006_zpset1y7ziw.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	2213244   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170501_185232%201_zpsclsl2mpr.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	2213245  

Last edited by Crius; 05-05-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: screwed up new software
Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Rustytrax

I have 2 of the IBU Pro units from that place and they work fine.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Tankbear

Hi guys,

Im Ian from RC Tank Electronics the UK distributor of IBU products. I've been selling the IBU products since 2013 when the IBU2 became available. I'm aware of the issues of the last US vender products and would like to say the level of failure is very rare.

moving forward the manufacturer has reappointed me as US distributor. So I'm here to help cover products bought from previous vender as well all new products I sell.

Some of you will already know me, and know I try my best to support the products and hobby.

ian.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
I have 2 of the IBU Pro units from that place and they work fine.

Very good news.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by Tankbear
Hi guys,

Im Ian from RC Tank Electronics the UK distributor of IBU products. I've been selling the IBU products since 2013 when the IBU2 became available. I'm aware of the issues of the last US vender products and would like to say the level of failure is very rare.

moving forward the manufacturer has reappointed me as US distributor. So I'm here to help cover products bought from previous vender as well all new products I sell.

Some of you will already know me, and know I try my best to support the products and hobby.

ian.
For what my humble opinion might be worth, I'll vouch for this guy 110%. I've been dealing with Ian for several years now and he's been an absolute gem. No problems at all and lots of good info and advice. And some good deals, too, if you buy packages. And I do believe Ian offers a small discount for forum members so ask him about that. I also get the "because I'm such a fine lookin' Dude and wonderful human being" discount, but you guys are on your own for that one.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:52 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree completely with Cruis, I have been purchasing from
www.rctankelectronics.com
for some years,
my latest buy was a "Remote Volume Control" (RVC), Some of you will be Familier with the similar unit that RC Australia offered but it has been far to long since they were available so this unit is a godsend allowing me to control the sound from my Transmitter instead of having to adjust a Potentiometer on the Tank.
Its an easy Plug in fit you just need a spare channel.
Ian is in the true sense of the word a gentleman and will look after you long after you have bought one of the IBU products he sells.
I recommend a visit to his on-line shop.
Shaun

Last edited by jarndice; 05-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:37 AM
Cruiser133

The ONLY reason I would buy another is due to vendors like Jerry and Ian. I trust those folks 100%, I just am a little leery of the product at the moment due to my run of bad luck. I don't think it is fair to blame the previous US distributor for the failure rate. I think it was more likely a bad production run or some other outside forces at work, not necessary anybody's fault.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Rustytrax

I just finished configuration on both of my IBU3 boards. The one was a a bit stubborn. It seems that the Septrum radio configurations I have were the most trouble. The input to the RX on those is all mixed up. This gives you the impression thinngs are broken when they aren't The Boards just neeed proper setup.

I did find Lielde crashes my setup. It might be my file and it pushes the memory over cap. no biggie since I really don't need music playing from my tank.

My Futaba IBUpro and 3 configurations setup on the first go. So now I have 2 IBU3s in boxes with radios, flashes, power plugs and volume dials waiting for other Tamyia electronics to fail.

If IBU made a Tamiya flash adapter plug these would be quick replacements and I wouldn't be tossing aside that $40.00 flash.

Last edited by Rustytrax; 05-06-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Springman65

Default IBU2U for Sturmtiger Build

Well, after looking at all the choices, I decided to go with the IBU2U for my Sturmtiger build. I placed an order for one this morning with RCTE. And, I have to tell you that not more than 1/2 an hour after placing my order, Ian sent me an email for follow-up on that order....THAT IS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

So, I have a Torro Sturmtiger.....just converted to all-metal running gear.....did that yesterday.
I have a Radiolink AT9S transmitter and R9DS receiver (9 channels).
I just ordered the IBU2U
and on order are:
spare kit of 2, 3, 4, and 5 pin, JST-XH plugs – male and female
32Gb Scandisk micro SDcard and USB reader for my PC

Soon as I get all that in, I will be ready to start.....

Springman
Old 05-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Rustytrax

I had a problem with 8gb so make sure the new board can address the large storage card.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Springman65

I had a problem with 8gb so make sure the new board can address the large storage card.
YES! Good question! I just sent Ian an email inquiry on the SD card specs. I definitely want to have a backup card for when I make changes as it gives me an easy way back.....

Springman
Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Springman65

YES! Good question! I just sent Ian an email inquiry on the SD card specs. I definitely want to have a backup card for when I make changes as it gives me an easy way back.....

Springman
Old 05-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Rustytrax

You can just save the TXT file to your PC.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:27 AM
Tankbear

Hi guys,

It’s the formatting of the microSD which gives the IBU2 & IBU2U issues.

IBU2 required to be formatted FAT which only allowed a maximum of 4GB, you could use the 8GB card but formatting it would down grade it’s capacity.

IBU2U can use FAT or FAT32 which allows use of 16GB microSD card.

Next important aspect of the formatting is the microSD card must be set to primary NOT logical.

Windows OS will struggle to format to the above because it now sees FAT as old hat, also when copying files to the microSD card will warn you your loosing properties etc but ignore it and carry on.

I created a this guide, which mentions a free software package which neatly does the above and works.

[ATTACH]2213988[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails how_to_format_microsd_card_for_ibu2_use..pdf  
Old 05-08-2017, 11:51 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Oooh, now that might point to a direction on why the boards have been glitchy with issues. The several ibu2 pro boards I tried to help install all would not start the tank up, or not do other things, as iff the ibu was not receiving an input, however servos worked fine in each channel of the rx, and several stick set up attempts were made on the ibu for the xmtr. My firend had two corrupt sd cards with his lot, that formatting issue maybe the cause there even though he copied files from the working sd card to the others.

any way, I am glad to hear we have a rep with backup now. What is Ian's website?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson

. What is Ian's website?
RC Tank Electronics - Home
Shaun.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Oooh, now that might point to a direction on why the boards have been glitchy with issues. The several ibu2 pro boards I tried to help install all would not start the tank up, or not do other things, as iff the ibu was not receiving an input, however servos worked fine in each channel of the rx, and several stick set up attempts were made on the ibu for the xmtr. My firend had two corrupt sd cards with his lot, that formatting issue maybe the cause there even though he copied files from the working sd card to the others.

any way, I am glad to hear we have a rep with backup now. What is Ian's website?
If that person who had trouble with the SD cards is the same person I'm thinking of they went through 4 IBU2 boards from me ALL of which
were identified as defective, that was unprecedented even based on prior experience. I hadn't been told that the first 2 also had SD card issues.
Until these I'd never even heard of an SD card issue. I still have the first two IBU2s he returned and when I get a chance I'll examine the SD
card integrity. There should be small chance of an SD card going south unless as Ian stated above someone accidentally changed the format
of their card. I personally made backups, copied files on my own cards without issue. I don't recall offhand what the IBU handbook said regarding the SD cards and partition / file structure format but if anyone doesn't understand it they should either ask questions or leave it alone.

Jerry
Old 05-09-2017, 03:42 AM
Cruiser133

That is interesting and I would like to find out when you get to the bottom of it Jerry. I know I never formatted or even plugged the SD cards into my computer but I did swap out one IBU SD card from a working unit to the bad one to rule it out when I was trouble shooting and no joy in my case.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:00 AM
Tankbear

Regarding IBU2 microsd card format the manual, states do not format. At the time it required a degree of computer knowledge to format them correctly using c command (something even past my experience) so was simply easy to say don't format.

Then by accident my wife had issues with Samsung tablet corrupting the microsd card, I did some research and found a pda forum which had a great detail of information of microsd card not been read by device. Aimed with a few few words found said software tried it and have used ever since.

Ian.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:07 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Cruiser, what happened to you has me scared to even test the two IBU Pros I got from the same place you got yours. I have two projects for them (one will go in the PzIII and the other in the Panther G with the laser sight system), but the Hetzer has been hoggin' up all my modeling time lately.

That reminds me, does the IBU2 Pro have a 5 volt power output anywhere? Hopefully filtered? I'll have to look, unless someone knows, because that would be a good thing for the transmitter for the laser sight FPV in the Panther G. That's all I'm waiting on, so maybe soon. The screen attached to the 9X is completely self contained, charges the built in battery with any phone charger, scans at the touch of a button and picks up any 5.8 GHz signal from whatever TX you're using in the tank, and I already know it works great with the Mobius in the docking station. Anybody else got the FPV bug? Sorry to get off topic like that, and if there's interest I'll start a separate thread.

[ATTACH]2213243

[ATTACH]2213244

[ATTACH]2213245

What do you guys think? Would it make shootin' at the squirrels more fun? I wouldn't count on it much for accuracy, after all, it's still an airsoft tank and they shoot maybe 75 feet on a good day with a tailwind.

I've been whinin' about the new software and large photos but that worked well. I wonder if it's been updated or if I was just doin' it wrong before, but til now I haven't been able to get photos to post like this. EDIT: and didn't this time, see edit below

I don't know why it posts the photos again at the bottom (if it does when I click submit) but I'm not crazy about that. No biggie, though. I still don't like the little faces (smilies, imoges (sp?), whatever you call them).

EDIT: Ok, this looks nothing like it did in the preview when I was writing it. The photos there were large and easy to see. I really don't like the new software and probably won't try to post photos again. This is really bummin' me out.

And that purple sad face looks gay. There, I said it. So sue me. To say I'm not a happy camper with the recent changes would be an understatement of truly epic proportion.

I'll give a nice prize to the guy who can tell me where I stole that line in red.
Hey One way to get a photo larger is after you post it like you did you then click on the small photo and then copy the URL in the browser window and then go back and edit your post and and click the little photo Icon up top in the window and then past the URL you copied in it and it will then put a large photo in the message... Tip: good to open two web browsers with your post so you can use one to get the photo URLs and the other one to edit the post so you won't have to edit in one window open it will be much harder.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 AM
phordman

Jerry the first 2 did not have bad SD cards, only 2 in the 2nd shipment did.

I had 1 good SD card and 2 bad ones. I tried the 1 good sd card in both of the bad boards and did the same thing as the 2 sd cards. I reformatted in FAT and copied the data from the 1 good card.

I actually have an old school tech degree in computer tech (grad in 2000), and worked for a DOS based company for a while, correctly formatting stuff isn't an issue from a command line.

the 2 I have sent to the UK made it into the UK this am so hopfully we get some kind of info soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.