Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

thinking about buying a armortek tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

thinking about buying a armortek tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 04:44 PM
crxsidan85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about buying a armortek tank

the more I see of these large tanks the more I want one,the only problem is any tank I want is currently unavailable (gives me time to decide on the one tank I can afford I suppose), what made you guys buy one and is it a decision you are happy to have made? a german tank either a panther or tiger is what I most would want.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:37 PM
crxsidan85

update I just put down a down payment on the new elephant tank. I always wanted a large scale tank and I only live once right? ha.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!
would love one. The elephant is a great looking kit.

Last edited by Markocaster; 07-02-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good Morning!

One sixth scale is EXTREMELY addicting and once you get 'Just one because I'm curious'... (I definately know how THAT goes...)

There's SO MANY 1/6 accessories and soldier figures available so detailing an AFV seems never ending. Everything from tools, canteens, mess gear, backpacks, Jerry cans, helmets, uniforms, just look at the 1/6 US and German stuff on ebay (let alone the 'not on ebay' 1/6 stores ya run on to). And the excellent 6th Scale Icons (Field of Armor) detail parts.

Even 'welds' are somewhat easier but MORE visible so are 'practically' required. And I LOVE the 1/6 paint masks and the Peddinghaus decals!

I look forward to watching your Elefant and Jarlaths' Panther A future builds, as well as presently: Scratchwerks' Tiger 1, Garys' Hertzer, and EVERYTHING Rivetcounter does! And there's always Armorguys' excellent detailing!

Mike in Kentucky

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-03-2017 at 02:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PapaD (10-17-2023)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I think the Panther G in Philly is still for sale.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM
armornut

Mad jealous. I've wanted an elephant forever in 1/6. I wish they had a longer time frame so I could raise the money. As it is, I'll just have to wait and hope one pops up for sale as a kit when I get the funds. As usual, wrong time wrong place for it. But, can't wait to see all the projects go up here, at least I can live through you guys...lol
Old 07-03-2017, 03:10 PM
crxsidan85

thanks all for the replies. old msgt is partly to blame haha due to his fantastic youtube channel. I learned a lot thanks for that. I don't have a garage and will have to build most of it in the house , I'm a bachelor so I gave myself permission lol. should I build a wooden platform to make building easier? I wonder if armortek will have a special motion pack or one already on the website ? not too clear on that .
Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 PM
armornut

Originally Posted by crxsidan85
thanks all for the replies. old msgt is partly to blame haha due to his fantastic youtube channel. I learned a lot thanks for that. I don't have a garage and will have to build most of it in the house , I'm a bachelor so I gave myself permission lol. should I build a wooden platform to make building easier? I wonder if armortek will have a special motion pack or one already on the website ? not too clear on that .
Armortek has motion packs for it, for sure by the time you get it. Platform sounds cool, but you have to consider if you're going to have to take it off and on the platform for things, it could make more work if you do. Though I agree with the posts i saw somewhere about a cart to wheel it around when complete. I had a 1/8 scale jagedpanther, I had a cart and it save me from many a headache. Tanks that large with metal tracks will do a number on carpet, tile, wood or any kind of flooring.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:09 PM
crxsidan85

https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS...-terrain+wagon
maybe this and make a wooden platform on top?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:14 PM
armornut

Originally Posted by crxsidan85
https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS...-terrain+wagon
maybe this and make a wooden platform on top?
That's a nice one. If add ramps and that's about it. The cart i has used casters insted of wheels, so it was low enough I could drive or push it on to it. That one may need ramps since that elephant is gonna way a bunch.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:47 AM
Old MSgt

Good Morning! Great way to wake up with a chuckle!

Are you referring to the youtube video Gary (Crius) made, 'Mike's Big Tanks'? When I repainted the Panther I took some pics of it and Gary did an outstanding job putting them together in to a 'music video'.

Armornut sure is right about being careful with metal tracks and the damage they can do to floors, furniture, hands, arms, legs.

And, since you're going to build it inside, check out those motorcycle lift tables Harbor Freight has. They're not too expensive (and easy to sell when you don't need it anymore. They're perfect for a build platform with drive on/drive off of a HEAVY METAL tank.

(..gotta git my coffee!!!) Mike
Old 07-04-2017, 03:47 AM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

My 1/6 Vantex sherman is about 70-80 pounds but I prefer not to lift it. I built a wooden platform with casters that works OK on my concrete basement floor. I can drive the tank up on it and wheel it around like a shopping cart. It does not work so well if I need to retrieve the tank outside, wheels are too small for any surface that's not flat and hard. Larger wheels are needed and that cart would be a nice option with a ramp (maybe modified to be a little closer to the ground).

The next issue is working on the tank and the motorcycle lift or something similar is a great idea. I hate bending down to work on it and having it up at body height is more comfortable and easier on the joints. I do have an industrial type lift I picked up used but it weights a lot and I need to replace the battery. Still in the barn, it hasn't made it to the basement yet. I may try and just make a 12 volt supply since I would only use it in one area to work.

I think that garden cart modified to be closer to the ground and maybe a miniature come-a-long to pull the tank on if it can't run would be ideal. To improve on that would be the ability to lift it so one could easily inspect and work on it. You don't want to pick something that large and heavy up by yourself, you are just asking for a back injury.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Crius

You can get one of these and screw a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood on top for a deck. Works great, you can chock the wheels and drive the tank on and off, and it makes it easy to move around the house, even on carpet. Rated for 1,000 pounds so should handle any tank. Outside it's also good with a piece of rope attached to one end to pull it, but I haven't tried it for anything like retrieving a tank from a field. It does work fairly well going across grass, however.

https://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-39757.html

Old 07-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Crius

And was this the video you saw?

Old 07-04-2017, 04:33 AM
Old MSgt

I just looked on the Harbor Freight site and their table motorcycle lifts are $429. THEN there's that 25% discount coupon so that's make it roughly $300. If there's a HF near you that'd save on shipping costs. I've had a MC table lift since 1996 when I was pretty heavy in to building Harleys back then but now it's a tank table. Greatest 'tool' I ever bought because it sure comes in handy!

AND a few months ago when my 'old' Tiger 1 was on the lift, the left track suddenly wouldn't turn. Fearing the 'worst', levered and blocked up that side. Dropped the track, pulled the sprocket, and unbolted the final drive housing ('bell'). The BIG final drive gear would turn by the motor gear but NOT the shaft out to the sprocket. The shaft looks pressed in to the gear, but there was a small half hole in each (like a keyway but nothing in it). I cleaned all the grease off, lined up the shared hole, then screwed in a big grub screw TIGHT. Problem solved, runs fine.

THEN, three weeks ago, I'd pulled the tanks out so I could sweep out the garage. They're usually all up on the lift but they've been sitting on the floor while I'm building the Sherman. When I went to just drive the T1 back in the RIGHT sprocket wouldn't turn. Knew what THAT was... (..lots of bad, naughty, colorful words..)

When I first rebuilt this 2003 T1 four years ago I installed those nice looking POTMETAL U shackles but since had already replaced them with real STEEL U shackles (just for this kind of contingency). I went and got a tie down strap, hooked it to the right shackle, and with one hand on the radio, drove the tank in by the left track, BUSTING A GUT pulling the right side.

I was winded (AND sweat'in!) by the time I got this 400 pound T1 up the ramp on to the lift! Had to take a break and have a few BEE... 'ice cold refreshments'. Then pulled the right side, grease, grub screw, etc.

I LOVE this MC lift cause it's easier to 'wrench' on tanks when they're at table level.

AND, if a tank totally quit driving ('won't do NOTH'IN') way out, in an emergency, I'd pull both sprocket hubcaps, pull each sprockets' keys, then it COULD at least roll a lot 'easier' to get it in. It'd STILL be HUFF'IN, PUFF'IN, CUSS'IN, STROKE time though...

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-04-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Old MSgt

AND, to let me ADD and CLARIFY from my previous post (..that's the one right above...):

The two sprocket drive shafts coming loose and spinning separate from an EARLY, FIRST PRODUCTION 2003 Armortek Tiger 1 (FIRST Armortek Tiger 1 produced by the ORIGINAL owner at the beginning of Armortek!) is the ONE and ONLY drive line trouble I have EVER experienced with a Armortek model.

All the AFVs made by the second owners (now there's third owners) I have NEVER had any problem operating. Guess the second owners refined the manufacturing and 'worked any bugs out'.

Just wanted to clarify this because I LIKE 1/6 tanks!... (now back to watching my DVRed 'Game of Thrones' and drank'in BEE.. you know what..)

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-04-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:16 PM
crxsidan85

ha thanks for the replies guys . Its great to hear from people with experience with these large tanks. The weight of these beasts is both awe inspiring and nerve wracking. The motorcycle table seems like a good idea since I also have a bike as well. Perhaps I will get the cart and the motorcycle table since the cart would be good for storing and displaying in the house. Good food for thought.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 AM
Jarlath

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sooo many tanks.... Soo little time....

Congrats on the Armortek... Yeah, I took the plunge as well. Now I just need the space... This will likely become a winter project..
Old 07-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Crius

I keep hoping for someone to buy an armortek, decide they're in way over their head, and then sell it to me for about 10 cents on the dollar. Yeah, Right. Dream on, eh?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Despotes

Originally Posted by Crius
I keep hoping for someone to buy an armortek, decide they're in way over their head, and then sell it to me for about 10 cents on the dollar. Yeah, Right. Dream on, eh?
You'll have to get past me first. lol
Old 07-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Jarlath

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
Best I've seen is roughly 60 cents on the dollar... So yup dream on or get damned lucky!