Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Newbie here.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with BennyB. Tamiya tanks are the standard for battling. You can throw and ElMod board into the Taigen to make it comparable to Tamiya for IR battling and to make it run realistically, but for the cost, buy the Tamiya.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scaleman3: Been looking at Taigen tanks before I joined this forum. I know I need to do some modifications electronics to the Taigen tanks or swap them out. I think I can do that myself or with some local assistance. As for customizing the paint and appearance I would require a lot of help and most likely someone who could do the repaint and add accessories for me. I do not have a garage or access to a workspace since I live in an apartment.

I had intended of joining the two groups out here in LA and San Diego, which would require making the tank or tanks Tamiya battle ready. Have done lots of reading online and looking around at those options over the last few months. It looks like I would need to get the Tamiya Battle system because that is the way to go from recommendations and reading.

Have read about Clark Boards and seen some reviews and they have their issues it sounds like? I would prefer to have all the tanks I eventually own have the same electronics under the hood to make things consistent and easier to maintain.

Rich Johnson I think found that RC group on Facebook last week, It appears most of the people on there are in the UK. Did not see any shermans for sale but I only found the group last week.,

Hope this all makes sense?
Old 07-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Scaleman3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on what your saying sounds like a USED Tamiya Tank is in order since you don't have the space to paint and want to be consistent with all your tanks that you plan to have. If you meet someone at the clubs that would paint for you then you could get the Tamiya tank kit and put it together on your kitchen table once you have the major parts painted. You have options so that is good and just keep educating yourself and you'll find the best way to go for yourself.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 PM
RichJohnson

Received 373 Likes on 237 Posts

By the way, im the fearless leader of the san deigo group. We all help each other out with tank builds. Ive got pretty much a whole shop. We can help you do anything you really want. Tamiya build, taigen conversion to IBU or CLARK, we he experts in all the areas.
We havent scheduled our august meet yet but I look forward to meeting you.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 AM
Scaleman3

Default Newbie

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Scaleman3: Been looking at Taigen tanks before I joined this forum. I know I need to do some modifications electronics to the Taigen tanks or swap them out. I think I can do that myself or with some local assistance. As for customizing the paint and appearance I would require a lot of help and most likely someone who could do the repaint and add accessories for me. I do not have a garage or access to a workspace since I live in an apartment.

I had intended of joining the two groups out here in LA and San Diego, which would require making the tank or tanks Tamiya battle ready. Have done lots of reading online and looking around at those options over the last few months. It looks like I would need to get the Tamiya Battle system because that is the way to go from recommendations and reading.

Have read about Clark Boards and seen some reviews and they have their issues it sounds like? I would prefer to have all the tanks I eventually own have the same electronics under the hood to make things consistent and easier to maintain.

Rich Johnson I think found that RC group on Facebook last week, It appears most of the people on there are in the UK. Did not see any shermans for sale but I only found the group last week.,

Hope this all makes sense?
Hey Eric,

Did you land on a tank or make it to any of the tank meets?
Old 08-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scaleman3
Hey Eric,

Did you land on a tank or make it to any of the tank meets?
hi Scaleman and Rich,

Made it to El Monte and going to San Diego in a few weeks.

I did land on a tank, actually 2 tanks. Got a tip fro Jeff here on the site yesterday about some for local pickup. Ended up getting a Tamiya Pershing and Sherman. Both full option kits.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Scaleman3

Thanks, sounds great Eric, Jeff is a good guy and will help you, let us know how it goes with the build and pics.

Last edited by Scaleman3; 08-16-2017 at 06:46 AM.