Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya USA on Facebook: 1/16 R/C M1A2 Abrams Full-Option IR RC Kit Announcement.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya USA on Facebook: 1/16 R/C M1A2 Abrams Full-Option IR RC Kit Announcement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 04:21 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

[QUOTE=Cruiser133;12419147]
Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
Cruiser133, "I use the old FM and newer 2.4 Attack radios and while super easy to set up and a marriage made in heaven with my Tamiya electronic...I have become pretty adept at setting up my Spektrum DX6i and the receivers are less than half the cost."

Hi,

Sorry, but your past experience means not much, RC Setting up the Tamiya Abrams, (things have changed from previous modern tank kits).

Unless you have actually RC Setup your Tamiya Abrams and it works well and is NOT prone to shut down failure using a Spektrum DX6i and its receiver, this is just a theory and a bad one at that."

I should have been more clear, I am not suggesting anybody use the Spektrum for the Abrams as I have no experience with that particular model but I do have a Leopard 2 and after frustration I ended up buying a Futaba 204GF RX to use with my Tamiya 2.4 Attack and it worked flawlessly. I guess my prior statement was more a complaint that these newer modern Tamiya tanks seem to require one system to get the full experience and easiest setup which leads to higher hidden costs.
Totally agree. A ninety buck up charge for a Tamiya branded Futaba radio is rotten, anyway way one smells it.

Bad Tamiya.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-08-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:55 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

It's funny John how you take everything comment as a personal attack on you. I said, "*I* would be pissed". I said nothing about your habits, your spending, or in general anything about you besides you may have had some issues with the Tamiya Abrams. I use words like "seem" and "may" because I have no concrete proof of the issues since I haven't seen it with my own eyes. That isn't a comment implying you are lier. It simply means I have no tangible proof except your word since I don't know you I have no way to judge your character as to how truthful a person you are. From your reaction to my comment, I can pretty much say that I would more than likely steer clear of you if we ever met in person.

I supposed I should've made my comment a little more clear. *I* would be pissed at Tamiya if *I* spent that much money on a tank and it didn't work the way it should or was that finicky out of the box. If you didn't want comments on this post when you started it, then you should've locked it from anyone posting. And if you really want to get into it, I didn't ask you what you were going to use the tank for. Frankly I didn't ask because I don't care what your purposes are. As far as your attack on me and your opinion of me, I don't care about either one. I would actually have to care about you to actually care about your opinion and I simply don't. You don't know me. If you actually read my sig line as closely as you may think you did, it lists 1/6 scale Sturmtiger and a 1/6 KV-2 - not 1/16. Where do you suppose I got them from? There isn't any seller I know that sells either of those two tanks in 1/6th scale. They were built from scratch by me, with my own two hands in my garage. So as far as my experience with tanks goes, I've volunteered at a tank museum fixing real tanks, built my own R/C tanks from scratch, actually driven several real tanks/APCs, and modified all of my worthless RTR tanks.

I'm happy for you that you have all the issues worked out. I just personally think Tamiya dropped the ball on this particular model. That does happen to be my opinion and this is a country that encourages free speech. I'm pretty sure I earned the right to my opinion since I spent years of my life defending this country and it's ideals.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Pcomm1.v2

BS, OK. Virtually every newly released rc Tamiya tank has had a major issue for the last decade. The Type 10 would not work well with the Tamiya branded radio that comes with the Asian market kit using a TBU etc; the funniest problem (I had one). Anyway, never pissed off, stay calm and model on. As they say, that is the way of the Tamiya. Enjoy your hobby.

John
Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Mission Success:

Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Pcomm1.v2

The Save the Tamiya Abrams M1A2 Rebuild, Repaint, RC Setup Project Cost List.

The eBay Tamiya Abrams Tank. $970.00
Tamiya Attack RC System. $180.00
TBU. $83.00
Paint & Model Supplies. $50.00
Value Gear Storage. $25.00
Spec Ops Gear. $25.00
Total. $1333.00

Not to bad for a Tamiya RC Tank Build and yes the wife knows!

Enjoy, John
Old 04-10-2018, 04:26 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I have used variously a Spektrum DX6, DX8 and a JR DSX9 on my Tamiya Abrams with no funny electronic business.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Pcomm1.v2

OK, good.

You also wrote at the FB Groups, 1/16 static & rc tanks and military vehicles, concerning this topic, that you were getting a one in twenty firing failure!!!

It was your post and several others, plus the guy I bought this tank from that alerted me to the MFU issue plus Tamiya USA.

Anyway, the problem is gone for this Abrams, things work good now, per TAMIYA USA's recommendation.

A side note, my Abrams MFU is allergic to strong wifi and near proximity to my 2017 iMac. This Abrams does not survive the electromagnetic spectrum or directed energy from the spectrum, seems EW at work.

Pretty sure it is either caused by Putin, Trump or MoonBeam the Stoned Governor.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:48 PM
cleong

I don’t recall saying there was a 1 in 20 failure to fire, although the tank (along with the Type 10) is known to have problems landing hits on other tanks. This however happens just the same to tanks with Tamiya-issued radios and aftermarket radios. We have two Type 10 and 4 Abrams in the club so the experience is fairly broad and similar.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Pcomm1.v2

OK, but it was someone on your side of the planet writing.

Currently, Tamiya USA asked me to send them my Abrams electronics package plus the radio system to resolve the failure, after all else failed at my end. One set is erratic and fires for a bit, then fails and my new tested set simply does not fire the main gun without a complete shut down.

My sets were purchased in early Nov 2017. A cross town FB friend dropped his Abrams gear off (purchased in Feb 2018) at Tamiya USA for the same reason this past Wednesday. Per both the Abrams manuals a flashing red LED 1 or 2 means a turret control unit failure and return to Tamiya USA for repair; if the reset does not resolve the failure. Via email, the Tamiya USA guys said they had the same problem with their inhouse build. How they will resolve the firing failure issue for the three sets just delivered to them, I do not know yet. I am aware of the same failures, both erratic in nature or a complete failure with the Abrams turret control unit amongst other builder/operators.

As for the Tamiya Type 10, I resolved the TBU issue of taking and giving reliable hits by using a Futaba Skysport FM Ground Radio, for sure, that model was allergic to my Futaba Skysport 2.4 radio system.

As for the Tamiya Abrams with the cannon fire failure issue, what radio one uses will not matter if the turret operation unit (mfu) is bad. That is my hunch with my two sets, at this point, after repeated, precise testing, including dissassembling the built model, so all the electronics would set on my work bench, outside of the hull, for precise testing, a small pain.

It is noted all other transmitter, trim tab functions work perfectly: lights, volume adjustment, turbine shut down - restart, flashing mg, turret rotation, main gun elevation - depression and all driving functions; for both my Abrams electronic sets and the SoCal FB friends Abrams electronics.

So, your probably right, the radio selection may not be a factor for the cannon firing shut down issue.

Tamiya USA may have given me an inaccurate rc radio recommendation.

Stay tuned.

Enjoy, John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-14-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Ignore, Tamiya USA recommended rc radio did not help.

[LEFT][QUOTE=Pcomm1.v2;12414566][LEFT]

Update Correction for Abrams Best Radio Choice:

For the rebuild Abrams I am using a Tamiya Attack 4YDW 2.4G Four Channel Radio + the receiver is the R204GF-T (IMPORTANT Abrams Part Number) and all functions work.

Sourced at Tower Hobbies USA: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEDMK&P=ML

As recommended by Tamiya USA's
Gary Demory 1-949-732-3417 or email: [email protected]

FYI: Tamiya USA is well aware of the Abrams RC Setup issues.

You can see more Abrams rebuild photos of this tank on my FB Page.

NEXT:

[QUOTE=kona_dog;12387018]

I'm having a few issues with the Abrams.

1.) Does anyone have problems with the tracks hitting the front of the side skirts? I double checked all the assemblies and it all looks correct. It hits on the right side, and is very close (

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-14-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the update from Tamiya. Just checked my Attack receiver, and it's the correct one.

Hopefully they will find a fix so other radios can be used reliably.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Thank you, it cost me ninety bucks more for that rc system over the Futaba Skysport 2.4 (I needed a new radio though) and a couple of weeks of trouble shooting research, but it helped me to know the model rc setup steps a lot better.

From various Facebook RC Tank Groups, discovered there are other modelers out there, with the same exact Abrams’ issue. Which lead to determining that I am 99.9% sure that the kit’s turret control unit is faulty.

Not my build error, which is generally the first place I go too.

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-14-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:43 PM
Pcomm1.v2

FYI, not holding my breath for a fast answer...

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-14-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:54 AM
Super18

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have been and will be following you on this...So far so good with the "Attack" radio. Started painting yesterday...So far it the Attack is the only one out of all the radios I have that work?
Keep updating your progress with this...Please.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Pcomm1.v2

For sure.

The Tamiya Attack Radio system change over worked well right up to the point it did not.

The turret control unit, main gun firing shut down, from the transmitter, glitch returned, permanently, so the electronics packages went to Tamiya USA for resolution.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-15-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:03 PM
cleong

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Digging up a bit of an old thread but can anyone tell me if the battle characteristics of the Abrams are that of the Leo? No functions drive/turret for 1 second after taking a hit?
Not sure if anyone has answered you yet, Bret, but I’m on a smartphone and haven’t scrolled the entire thread.

The Abrams does not freeze upon firing, or taking a hit. It’s characteristics are similar to the Type 10. It also has momentum, which I do not like, but some other tankers are okay with that.

It is is frustrating to play in the traditional WW2 tank way, but it is not impossible. Best results are achieved playing against other Abrams ranks. We recently had a 2 v. 2 all-Abrams battle, and it took a fairly long time to resolve.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 PM
fury69

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any more updates on this issues>?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Pcomm1.v2

I will post something, when I learn something.

My Attack radio, turret control unit etc is with Tamiya USA and I have not heard back, Tuesday will be day 7. I have received messages from six modelers with the same issue, 3 being in the USA, so I do not think it is a huge problem. The other modelers are in Europe and Asia. FYI, a working Abrams electronic package does work with radios other than the Tamiya Attack System.

Tamiya USA Abram's build seems to have suffered from the same fault during their in-house build. Perhaps that experience was the cause of the premature and incorrect info and recommendation their tech people emailed to me. As stated, their first recommend did not solve the problem for my two Abrams' builds.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:07 PM
regsbyg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed that some of the kits set for Japanese market have new transmitter that comes with it. I wonder if they have any issues or is tamiya now going for their own system? Transmitter has tamiya logo on it and a whole bunch of buttons. Cost is a lot more. I did get my JS-2 from Banzai and it was Japanese market only and came with Futaba Attack 4. Just wonder if Abrams is set up to work with this new Tamiya system and that is why it may have issues with other systems.
Dave
Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default ​​​​​​​Tamiya Abrams RC System Selection?

Originally Posted by regsbyg
I have noticed that some of the kits set for Japanese market have new transmitter that comes with it. I wonder if they have any issues or is tamiya now going for their own system? Transmitter has tamiya logo on it and a whole bunch of buttons. Cost is a lot more. I did get my JS-2 from Banzai and it was Japanese market only and came with Futaba Attack 4. Just wonder if Abrams is set up to work with this new Tamiya system and that is why it may have issues with other systems.
Dave
Maybe or Probably NOT, though that is what Tamiiya USA told me via email, but that info proved wrong. They recommended this transmitter and receiver and it did fix the gun fire, shut down problem.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEDMK&P=ML

There are several You Tube videos showing other radio systems operating the Tamiya Abrams just fine.

The problem with my kits is the MFU is faulty, now called a Turret Control Unit, 99.9% sure that is the issue.

Of course, other kits could have other issues that I am unaware of, including rc system compatibility issues, as Tamiiya USA first emailed me, stated and claimed.

But you would need a good working Abrams MFU to discover and know that!

Anyway, waiting to hear back from Tamiya USA to learn what they have discovered and what the solution is, as they have had my electronics package and RC Radio for a couple of weeks now.

Two Photos:
This is what the Abrams MFU looks like and mine are faulty.
I tried these 3 radios below and all I learned is that they do NOT work with a BAD MFU, now called a Abrams turret control unit: LOL.

This is the Abrams turret control unit (MFU) and the 99.9% probable source of the gun fire shut down issue with my kits.

The 3 radios tested using a BAD turret control unit (MFU), LOL: Futaba Skysport FM Ground, Futaba Skysport 2.4, Tamiya Attack 2.4.
FYI, none work with a bad MFU.

Enjoy, John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-30-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Builder error per Tamiya USA!

The Tamiya USA email today, May 4, 2018, below.

The problem, I did not have the rear light harness hooked up to the “chassis control unit”. So, my fault, builder error, but no mention of that in the assembly and or ops instruction manual. Now we know though, LOL. Enjoy, John

Tamiya USA email:

Hi John,

OK, here's what we found, both your systems set and work as they should. Here's the big BUT, if you DO NOT have all the components hooked-up to the Chassis and turret control units the system will shut off when the main gun is fired, we believe this is a build-in safety feature. When we installed your systems into our runner tank and hooked up everything, both worked great. Once you complete the set-up in step 30 of the manual, I know it's tempting but do not fire the main gun. Both your systems are now set to your radio transmitter, all you need do is finish the kits, and do not fire the gun until everything is hooked up!

Thank you,

Gary
Tamiya America
Customer Service Supervisor

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 05-04-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default LED Clip On Device Change.

Almost there; this is an RC Infrared Tank build and I changed out the Tamiya Abrams Kit's LED Device (didn't like it) to the standard Tamiya LED Barrel Mount Clip On Device.
Sourced at the AAF Museum under Tamiya King Tiger Parts. I had to extend the LED Blub wires a few inches.

NOTE: In case. you missed the post above, the Abrams gun fire shut down problem is corrected.

The problem, I did not have the rear light harness hooked up to the “chassis control unit”. So, my fault, builder error, but no mention of that in the assembly and or ops instruction manual. Now we know though, LOL. Enjoy, John

Tamiya USA email:

Hi John,

OK, here's what we found, both your systems set and work as they should. Here's the big BUT, if you DO NOT have all the components hooked-up to the Chassis and turret control units the system will shut off when the main gun is fired, we believe this is a build-in safety feature. When we installed your systems into our runner tank and hooked up everything, both worked great. Once you complete the set-up in step 30 of the manual, I know it's tempting but do not fire the main gun. Both your systems are now set to your radio transmitter, all you need do is finish the kits, and do not fire the gun until everything is hooked up!

Thank you,

Gary
Tamiya America
Customer Service Supervisor

Using the standard Tamiya LED Clip On Device.

Deleted the Abrams Kit's LED Device.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 05-05-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:56 PM
cleong

Thanks for sharing what happened. The board appears to be designed as a closed system that only works correctly with everything plugged in it’s correct place. It also worked weird for me when I accidentally plugged the IR emitter cable into the wrong socket.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Thank you. The Abram's closed system requiring all functions to be plugged in correctly and importantly nothing left out on both control units is certainly new to me. I have left out the lights on some WWII RC IR tank builds without issue. Things have changed!

Why post this build adventure: There were several other USA modelers, a couple close by in my area, plus my pictured eBay found rebuild, with the exact same gun fire shut down problem. I decided to document and post "my build glitch error journey" and let the chips fall where they may.

Happy to learn there is nothing wrong with my Tamiiya Abrams kits' electronics and no need for others to set aside or give up on their Tamiya Abrams RC Tank build.

NOTE: My cross town friends Abrams electronic package is defective and Tamiya USA will replace it with new parts.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 05-06-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:35 AM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.