Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What scale do you prefer?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What scale do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What scale do you prefer?

Made a video showing the different scale RC tanks I have.

I didn't bother with a poll, I figure you can just post if have have input.

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2017, 03:09 AM
Afrikakorps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great video Tankhobby.
All the rc sizes are great, but the bigger the better.
However, because I like so many tanks the 1/6 scale is a bit impractical for me.
My vote goes to 1/16 scale.

Cheers
Afrikakorps
Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

The bigger you go the more detail is required. That's why a lot of 1/6 tanks are lacking so much.

I give it all to space though, for me it's 1/16 scale.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Springman65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets not lie.....we all really want to go 1:1.........

Springman
Old 08-28-2017, 09:58 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truthfully, 1/35.

I came from the static world where 1/35 reigns and there is so much more detail in them than almost all of the 1/16 I find including mine. Even my super detailed Stug would be a middling effort on a table of 1/35 tanks. I imagine most of it is availability of kits and AM, every single tank has been covered in full detail by now.

If Clark ever came out with the kits they promised (1/35, Tamiya compatible IR) I would have dropped all 1/16 in a second. Just imagine the table top battlefield you could build in 1/35, just with existing kits and detail. You could create any scenario, including Leopolds, Doras, etc.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Truthfully, 1/35.

I came from the static world where 1/35 reigns and there is so much more detail in them than almost all of the 1/16 I find including mine. Even my super detailed Stug would be a middling effort on a table of 1/35 tanks. I imagine most of it is availability of kits and AM, every single tank has been covered in full detail by now.

If Clark ever came out with the kits they promised (1/35, Tamiya compatible IR) I would have dropped all 1/16 in a second. Just imagine the table top battlefield you could build in 1/35, just with existing kits and detail. You could create any scenario, including Leopolds, Doras, etc.
Okkkkkeeeeyyyy it's time to trot out this fellow's website again!

‚Ђ̂«‚Ì–ÍŒ^H–[

It highlight's what's possible quite nicely. There are others also.

tip: best viewed with Chrome and a Japanese translator plugin.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 08-28-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I believe the 1/16 is popular because you can fit a lot of stuff inside and they are a nice size but a little big for indoors unless you have the room. I'm surprised the 1/24 hasn't gained more popularity but maybe it is popular with the VS tank line and I'm just not aware. I have a lot of the FOV tanks and of course they are discontinued. Didn't have the opportunity to pick up one of the Walterson's releases yet, I'm guessing the infrared is not compatible with FOV?

If a good 1/35 scale electronics conversion is made available that would be sweet! I grew up making every 1/35 scale model kit I could afford. The availability of models is endless, just making them runners I think is a big challenge (from a static kit).

I started with the 1/16 and had only that scale for several years. Then the 1/24 and built an indoor battlefield so I could run them in the winter. The smaller stuff is nice but not realistic. I'm spending time on the 1/6 stuff because I can run them outside while the weather permits and that size tank can handle the grass and weeds the smaller scales can't cope with.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:37 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I like 1/16, but like Ausf said, it is hard to find the same amount of After Market detail stuff for 1/16 that is in 1/35. A whole lot of scratch building of the detail on 1/16 and then it could get ripped off the model while running it.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:56 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I would prefer everything in 1/6th if I had the room and the money, but lately my focus has been more on 1/16th.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Truthfully, 1/35.

When the TCB runs again make sure and check that out. You can drive the main motors with the on board motor drivers for 1/35 and use the servo outputs for others if needed. Then you can use whatever IR system you want. I know they fit in a 1/24th scale just fine
Originally Posted by Tankhobby
I believe the 1/16 is popular because you can fit a lot of stuff inside and they are a nice size but a little big for indoors unless you have the room. I'm surprised the 1/24 hasn't gained more popularity but maybe it is popular with the VS tank line and I'm just not aware. I have a lot of the FOV tanks and of course they are discontinued. Didn't have the opportunity to pick up one of the Walterson's releases yet, I'm guessing the infrared is not compatible with FOV?

If a good 1/35 scale electronics conversion is made available that would be sweet! I grew up making every 1/35 scale model kit I could afford. The availability of models is endless, just making them runners I think is a big challenge (from a static kit).

I started with the 1/16 and had only that scale for several years. Then the 1/24 and built an indoor battlefield so I could run them in the winter. The smaller stuff is nice but not realistic. I'm spending time on the 1/6 stuff because I can run them outside while the weather permits and that size tank can handle the grass and weeds the smaller scales can't cope with.
Don't worry about the 24th too much, Walterson's has a lot planned for that scale and many surprises coming. They are actually supposed to be making a visit here next month, I'll see what details he wants to leak, I know he has some big news but that is not mine to release. However I can say the 24th scale line will have a few big changes here soon. Sorry for the tease!

Oh and for me, I like the biggest scale tank I can get, but unfortunately anything past 1/16th is too much for my house and property. I also drive a car as well and anything over 1/16th is difficult to get in the trunk. As long as it has tracks though I can dig it

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 08-30-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:21 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

We have out buildings for other stuff and I have the garage as my 'tank workshop'. I have 12 Tamiya 1/16 tanks and 6 Armorteks and enjoy'em all. The 1/16 sit on two shelves on a rack.

The 1/6 AFVs take up a 'YUUGE' amount of space! They're like they're own 'This Is MY Domain' wherever they sit (i.e.: parked). When ya go to work on heavy metal 1/6 vehicles it's good to be able to drive/turn them in position under their OWN power. You CAN slide them some but to totally move them as 'dead weight'... they can be slid some (with work!). The Mark 1 or FOA AFBs may be a little lighter but (as their owners will confirm) are still a hand full to wrestle around.

Messing with them, it's about like if you want to work on your riding lawn mower that won't run. And transporting any of the 1/6 requires your pickup truck and they'ed be able to move in to on their own to load/unload. If I wanted to transport all of'em, I'd need my brothers' cargo trailer.

Luckily I (barely) have the room in the garage for what I got and I seriously couldn't fit another 1/6 vehicle in. I love 1/6 but they DO make a lot of space/handling problems.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 08-30-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
We have out buildings for other stuff and I have the garage as my 'tank workshop'. I have 12 Tamiya 1/16 tanks and 6 Armorteks and enjoy'em all. The 1/16 sit on two shelves on a rack.

The 1/6 AFVs take up a 'YUUGE' amount of space! They're like they're own 'This Is MY Domain' wherever they sit (i.e.: parked). When ya go to work on heavy metal 1/6 vehicles it's good to be able to drive/turn them in position under their OWN power. You CAN slide them some but to totally move them as 'dead weight'... they can be slid some (with work!). The Mark 1 or FOA AFBs may be a little lighter but (as their owners will confirm) are still a hand full to wrestle around.

Messing with them, it's about like if you want to work on your riding lawn mower that won't run. And transporting any of the 1/6 requires your pickup truck and they'ed be able to move in to on their own to load/unload. If I wanted to transport all of'em, I'd need my brothers' cargo trailer.

Luckily I (barely) have the room in the garage for what I got and I seriously couldn't fit another 1/6 vehicle in. I love 1/6 but they DO make a lot of space/handling problems.

Mike
6 armortek tanks WOW! Mike
& 12 tamiya , that's an awesome collection you have there sir !
Old 08-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

...me and my BIG YAP! I've been trying to keep it a SECRET as to how many Armorteks I have... DRAT! ...now I guess the word is out...

Mike (the IDIOT in Kentucky!)

Last edited by Old MSgt; 08-30-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I like the bigger scale because I like to drive them outside. I have ten 1/16 scale tanks and would love a 1/6 scale one, but storage space is my limiting factor so I will stick to 1/16.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, for me it's 1/16. The rest are kind of novelty with regards to day to day running. Have a 1/6 that doesn't see daylight and the smaller stuff is great on the kitchen floor but just doesn't cut it. Haven't ventured into the 1/10 though.