Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need Motors and Zimmerit for KT

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need Motors and Zimmerit for KT

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM
skip2a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Motors and Zimmerit for KT

Hello all:

It would appear that I need to change my stock KT Tamiya motors out and put in 480's. I would like to do that now while I am building instead of later on. Where is a good source for these motors? I prefer a US distributor if possible.

I think I want to try my hand at making my own zimmerit. Does anyone know of a good US source for Milliput (think that is how its spelled) or recommendation for another type of putty. I do not like the look of the ones that come in the kit and I really don't think I want to buy the premade type.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Milliput works like a charm. You can try on ebay.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

For putty try squadron.com or scalehobbyist.com.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I get my motors from here: Promax Motors and Ferrite Motors

They ARE fast and reliable.

Good luck on the self applied zimm!! I was lazy and just bought those resin sheets which I found are not too thick at all!!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 AM
skip2a

I searched the Promax site and can't find a 480 motor. To be honest I am not sure of what the designation means? Is it rmp/watts? Basically the KT is too fast out of the box and I need to slow it down by changing the motors. I found some brushless ones but they do not look like anything I have seen in any of the rc tanks so far.

Thanks,

Pat
Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by skip2a
I searched the Promax site and can't find a 480 motor. To be honest I am not sure of what the designation means? Is it rmp/watts? Basically the KT is too fast out of the box and I need to slow it down by changing the motors. I found some brushless ones but they do not look like anything I have seen in any of the rc tanks so far.

Thanks,

Pat
The number means the size. If I remember right the stock ones are 390, so if you put a 480 your tank will drive way, way faster. But you can change the gears too and achieve a nice scale speed and climbing capabilities.

Stay away from the brushless motors, you wont be able to use them with most (and I think all) of the tank electronics.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:17 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Zim can be a real pain to do and you will need to practice, practice and practice some more on scrap to get it correct. Attached is a photo of my Kind with hand done Zim but it was a bear to do. Here's a link to Etoarmor sight for the Atak zim kit for your tank. Use a rubber contact cement for installation. Kit works good.
AT1607 King Tiger zimmerit kit by Atak ? ETO armor

You will also want to do a little something with the stock idler system. Here's the link for the HennTec idler setup. Works grand. Before you install your tracks, if you stay with the stock Tamiya tracks, take the time to remove each and every track pin and insert them from the outside, not the inside. Pins tend to walk out and inserted from the inside they will catch on the hull and break the track. From the outside you just shove them back in.
HT017 HennTec idler system for the Tamiya King Tiger ? ETO armor

For motors, if you want to really slow the beast down there's two options. 1, find Krick motors which will give you scale off road speed, aka about 12 mph. Or you can go with the Schumo ZUH19 gear down which is a bolt on to the Tamiya transmission. Your stock motors will handle the load for years. Do figure on replacing your motor to DMD contacts with Deans plugs. Stock plugs are aluminum and resistance is significant. Deans Plugs are gold plated and resistance is minimal.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:36 PM
1sgt

I also used the Atak zim kit from ETO armor for my HL Porsche KT. They have a kit cut for the Tamy KT. They actually had a kit specifically for the Porsche HL KT. too. Anyway it went on like a breeze. I couldn't recommend it enough for ease of installation and great results.

Jim
Old 09-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by skip2a

Thanks,

Pat

Huh... you're right. Sorry 'bout that Pat! I would have thought they had it all.

I never use anything bigger than a 400. Matter of fact, the long cans are what I put in but to each on his own recommendation and what works best.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:23 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sevoblast
Zim can be a real pain to do and you will need to practice, practice and practice some more on scrap to get it correct. Attached is a photo of my Kind with hand done Zim but it was a bear to do. Here's a link to Etoarmor sight for the Atak zim kit for your tank. Use a rubber contact cement for installation. Kit works good.
AT1607 King Tiger zimmerit kit by Atak ? ETO armor

You will also want to do a little something with the stock idler system. Here's the link for the HennTec idler setup. Works grand. Before you install your tracks, if you stay with the stock Tamiya tracks, take the time to remove each and every track pin and insert them from the outside, not the inside. Pins tend to walk out and inserted from the inside they will catch on the hull and break the track. From the outside you just shove them back in.
HT017 HennTec idler system for the Tamiya King Tiger ? ETO armor

For motors, if you want to really slow the beast down there's two options. 1, find Krick motors which will give you scale off road speed, aka about 12 mph. Or you can go with the Schumo ZUH19 gear down which is a bolt on to the Tamiya transmission. Your stock motors will handle the load for years. Do figure on replacing your motor to DMD contacts with Deans plugs. Stock plugs are aluminum and resistance is significant. Deans Plugs are gold plated and resistance is minimal.

Bob, with the Schumo reductions don't you basically get a 3:1 on the reduction which would put the output shaft in the 180:1 ballpark? Way too slow since we run road speeds at Danville. I was thinking a 480 with a 9 or 10 tooth would be in the ball park of speed and leave torque for that last hit.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Motors are kind of a science unto themselves. If you want the real deal, check this out

https://www.mabuchi-motor.com/produc...ignations.html

Mainly you're looking for rpm (stock 380s have 18,000 no load rpm) and torque in newton meters or g-cm.

go here and scroll down to electrical specs for a chart

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...221768194.html

Last edited by Crius; 09-20-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i use milliput all the time here is the latest one almost done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170917_00_26_21_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2232951   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170917_02_39_16_Pro[2].jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2232952   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170917_03_41_26_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2232953   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170917_03_42_05_Pro[2].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2232954  
Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i get my Milliput from here gets here quick all the time https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/...words=milliput
Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Bob, with the Schumo reductions don't you basically get a 3:1 on the reduction which would put the output shaft in the 180:1 ballpark? Way too slow since we run road speeds at Danville. I was thinking a 480 with a 9 or 10 tooth would be in the ball park of speed and leave torque for that last hit.
Depends on what he wants to do with the tank. By juggling motor and gear reduction pinions he can get a pretty fair spread of speeds but each combination of pinions needs to be checked for speed.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 AM
skip2a

Thank you for all of the replies!

I am going to give Milliput a try and I think for the KT a gear method may work. I will get a tube and try it on some foamcore board that I have. If its an epic fail I guess it becomes a late war KT with no zimmerite on it.

I am still in need of a source for the motors that I need and need to know if I am using my stock Tamiya pinions or if I am having to buy something different.

Thanks again!

Pat
Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Speed 480 motor

These guys show they have them in stock and in Florida. There is a contact phone number to verify they have them before you order. I have no experience with this seller so....no idea if they are legit.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone through my gearbox/motor stash and have come up with a bundle for ya Pat if your interested. Should have enough options to get your KT dialed in. Let me know if you want me to box it up and I'll let you know how much to send my way. if you don't end up using the reductions I'll just buy them back from you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2845.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2232994  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 AM
skip2a

Sent you a PM Bret.