Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya M1A2 DMD/MFU

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 04:33 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tamiya M1A2 DMD/MFU

Does anyone know if Tamiya will be selling the units for this new model separately or will the kit be the only way to get them?
I have the HL M1A2 with a BARC/Bennedini system and sadly I have had some problems with it that dont appear to be repairable.
I want to maintain the Benedinni and I know you can slave it to Tamiya electronics and since that was always my go to type of system i would really like to pursue this possibility. Can anyone add some input into this equation for me. Possible? Not? Tips , pointers?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:31 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see why they wouldn't. I may be thinking of something else but isn't there an issue with hooking modern tammy tank DMD's to standard gearboxes? Something with the modern system having a turning motor and drive motor? All in that fancy pants gearbox. Been years since I messed with my Leo. PM Eric Scott (heavyaslead on here) he's quite the guru on the modern tammy drivetrain/electronics.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 11-14-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

To get your tank to operate properly on Tamiya electronics, you would need a Tamiya Leopard 2/Type 10/Abrams gearbox, or purchase DKLMRC's PDSGB:

https://www.dklmrc.com/product/pdsgb
Old 11-15-2017, 06:35 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther G
Does anyone know if Tamiya will be selling the units for this new model separately or will the kit be the only way to get them?
I have the HL M1A2 with a BARC/Bennedini system and sadly I have had some problems with it that dont appear to be repairable.
I want to maintain the Benedinni and I know you can slave it to Tamiya electronics and since that was always my go to type of system i would really like to pursue this possibility. Can anyone add some input into this equation for me. Possible? Not? Tips , pointers?
If it's a Barc problem david will be able to fix it, if benedini Thomas should be able to
Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 PM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The electronics for the Type 10 or Leo2 is set for a full differential gearbox. By that I mean one ESC is the drive motor and the other ESC is the steer motor (both built into the same unit)

The Leo2 gearbox should fit in the M1A1/2 if you would like a really nice performance upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7597543_orig.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	2245190  
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Might be quite involved, as you could end up needing new sprockets, driveshaft support housings, etc.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:52 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The dklm gearbox is a much better option if you want to do this, no faffing with new sprockets etc.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah The LEO style gear boxes and config occurred to me after i wrote thw post. Dan did such a nice job on geting everything set up for me and i dont want to scrap the BARC but really wasnt sure what to do. I plan on eventually gettting the Tamiya kit but i would stilll like to get my HL based one back up and running. I just am not very familiar with the boards on the BARC and DBC systems. Im sure it must just be the gun trigger section of that board but not sure which board other than that would also need to be dealt with. Then there is the Bennedinni which is another can of worms. I didnt see it build so i dont know which components are which.