Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Taigen V2 Electronics issue. Help?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Taigen V2 Electronics issue. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM
gp100

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Taigen V2 Electronics issue. Help?

Hi guys,

I just bought a brand new Taigen Tiger 1 with the new V2 Electronics package in it.. But, there seems to be an issue that I believe to be the motherboard..

The smoke unit is wired into the new board via a plug.. This setup allows you to turn on/off the smoke unit via the remote.. However, this morning, the smoke unit is stuck on, and is no longer proportionate.. It's getting full power as if the it's running straight off the battery.. The remote will not turn off the smoke unit.. Tried to rebind the tank 4 times, with no success in the smoke unit changing.. Stuck to on setting.. Pulled the battery and let it sit for a while thinking the system would reset.. Nope.. Same thing..

Doesn't matter if the remote is on/off, from the minute you turn the tank power on, the smoke unit is running full power, even if you don't turn on the tank with the remote..

The minute you flip the tank power switch, the smoke unit comes on full bore.. This has lead me to believe, that the board itself has fried the electronic switch on the motherboard and is now locked open.. With full power to the smoke unit as if you had the throttle wide open..

Note, everything else appears to work fine.. I have disconnected the smoke unit for now.. But I'm not impressed with this, given the $500+ price tag on a tank that is less than a month old.. Are there any better electronics packages out there for this? Or do I just have to suck it up and buy a new V2 board?

Taigen doesn't do phone calls I was told by them.. They prefer you to go the e-mail route.. I'm not a fan of that..

If there is a more reliable electronics package out there that I can buy, that's fine.. I realize I'll have to buy a different radio to boot I figure.. But what's the best package out there for this?

Thanks for your help in advance.. I appreciate you all..

Last edited by gp100; 01-12-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:20 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Call Erik at Imex in Florida. 1-800-458-5785
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 AM
gp100

Crius,

I've tried that.. The girl told me they don't do phone calls.. They want you to e-mail them.. I've done that in the past, and it can be two, three days before you get a response..

It took Erik almost a week to get back to me on an antenna issue.. Then he said when I put in another order for something, he would toss in a free antenna holder..

I'm not going to spend more of my money to order anything, just to get a free part..

Between the tank at $550, + a new Charger, and 2 batteries from them, plus a new hand remote.. And new smoke units because they fail.. I'm into this tank for over $700

Not trying to come across as slamming them.. I love the tank. But the last thing a customer needs to hear on the phone after spending that much hard earned cash, is, "Send us an e-mail.." When you buy a high dollar piece of equipment, you, as a customer deserve to be able to speak to someone on a phone when you have an issue..

Is there a better control board out there that you can use to run the tank? I went on Taigens website, but they are sold out of the V2 boards.. So, no go on that idea..

Just got this thing for Christmas.. It's brand new..

If possible, I want to stick to the 7.2 volt batteries due to me just buying them.. Don't want to throw out brand new stuff..

However, I will yet again, attempt to call them tomorrow..

Last edited by gp100; 01-12-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:20 AM
Crius

There are several boards you can use, and I think my favorite is the IBU2. The clark TK22, the Asp, and the TCB are also good boards, but as you said earlier, they do require a better transmitter.

I'm going to look into the problems at Imex with phone calls. This is the first time I've heard this and Erik has always been known for his excellent customer service, so we'll see what he says.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 AM
gp100

Hi Crius,

Yes, when Erik responds in e-mail, he is great.. I have talked with him in e-mail a few times.. Very nice person to speak with.. But the young girl there told me, they don't do phone calls because Erik is busy in the warehouse or working on tanks.. And they want you to do e-mail because other companies do that, and they are doing the same thing..

The numbers I used were: 800-458-5785 And the other number I called was: 352-754-8522

Please don't get me wrong.. I fully understand that she said they don't have a lot of people there to man the phones.. And evidently Erik is the only Technician..

But it's frustrating to say the least, when you have to go through three e-mails, to accomplish what can be done in a ten minute phone call..

I bought this thing on Amazon.. And was considering buying the Russian T34 Amazon has as well.. But I've decided not to purchase another tank, after what the girl told me about e-mails.. I'm not spending another $469 on a tank, then have to write an e-mail if anything goes wrong..

As to the IBU2 board, Hmm. I'll take a look at that.. If I have to get a new radio, oh well.. So long as it's reliable, that's fine.. I figure I'm into this tank for 7 bills now.. What difference does it make at this point? In for a penny, in for a pound I guess..

These smoke units have an issue where the rubber piece comes off the piston.. Guess I'll have to find a better alternative to the stock Smoke unit.. Can't expect much for $8 I guess..

Last edited by gp100; 01-12-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:34 AM
Crius

I've had good luck using super glue to put that rubber piece back on the piston in the Smoke unit.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:35 AM
gp100

Hi Crius,

Just looked at the IBU2 board.. Found a video on YouTube of Erik installing it.. Looks like a nice board.. I'll see if Taigen will send me a new board to replace this bad one with.. Then I'll send him the old one back.. But I'll also take serious look at the board you suggested.. I like that you can do the sound files of your choice.. And the fact that it has dual fuses on the board.. Nice feature.. Now, if it can be used with Windows XP, I'll be set.

Only question I got is, Can you still fit the 7.2 Nimh battery in the Tiger 1 after this IBU2 install? Looks kinda tight in there..
Old 01-12-2018, 05:45 AM
gp100

Originally Posted by Crius
I've had good luck using super glue to put that rubber piece back on the piston in the Smoke unit.
Funny you should say that..... I just did the same thing, and it worked.. I put some crazy glue into the hole in the rubber piece, then let the piston sit in it for a while before putting it back together.. Seems to work.. But the smoke unit is stuck "on", and cannot be shut off via the motherboard.. It turns on as soon as you flip the power switch to the tank on.. It comes on with the motherboard fan.. Stays on after I flip the toggle switch to start up the tank.. Flip the switch on the remote to shut off the tank, and the LED blinks after the tank shuts down.. But you can see the smoke unit running at full bore.. Smoking like a banshee.. I unplugged it..

The board is acting funny this morning.. Starting to get worse..
Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes unfortunately call support is very limited at this time. However if you use the section online here: https://www.taigentanks.com/support/ and leave your phone number with that entry we will eventually give you a call back. We hired another tech recently and I have been training him as well as another on top of a bunch of new duties I have acquired recently. With email we can answer x10 as many questions as phone and as we actually distribute globally this can generate a bunch of support, questions, and most time consuming: pre-checking tanks. We check every single tank that leaves here by hand and this can make some delays. There is a physical limit to the amount of tanks one person can correctly check tanks in an 8 hour day and that was exceeded by orders this year. I'm slowly catching up, but the best way to reach me is by email as I am checking that at home too. I believe I should be caught up by possibly Monday/Tuesday at this rate. If you have an email already sent to me chances are it will be answered soon.

Now for the board, that definitely sounds like something is defective there. You should have proportional functions on that guy no matter what. It will idle low, but should increase at full throttle. Due to the noise of the gearboxes you might not actually hear it speed up, what I do is look at the smoke unit output to see if it changes from idle to full speed. Either way I got you covered Also please be aware there have been some unauthorized third party sellers on Amazon lately. Have you tried to contact them yet about this issue? If they are an authorized dealer they would contact us and we would just send out the part/contact you directly.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 AM
gp100

Hi Erik,

No, I purchased it through Amazon, But you were the seller.. I called you guys on the phone, and asked about that.. The company I purchased it from was " Phoenix Model Company, Inc. The girl on the phone, said it was you guy's in Florida.. My order number was 113-2888477-9707461 And it was purchased on December 13th..

Price was $539.48.. That included the $39 for Shipping..

Now, as to the board.. It was working fine originally.. Suddenly, it developed a glitch and hasn't worked right since with the smoke unit.. Now, I'm also having to rebind the tank at random.. It's getting worse..

It will be running, then suddenly the LED will blink, and I'll have to reset and rebind the tank, then it will work fine for a little bit.. It does this at random.. All batteries are charged.. The smoke unit will still run at full speed though.. No proportional.. Always on.. I took the top off and watched the smoke unit.. It's at full power even at idle.. doesn't change at all.. I use my tank a lot, as it's the only enjoyment I have left at this time.. Having it go down, is a bit of a hardship on me.. That might sound stupid, but I'm the guy that has been talking to you in e-mail that is in the wheelchair.. Not much i can do anymore for pleasure.. So this tank is about the only darn thing I can really enjoy..

So, I would like to know, if you can do me a favor.. Do you have another V2 board you can let me have? I tried to purchase the board this morning, but it says "sold out."

I don't care if you even have a "used one" sitting around somewhere brother.. I will happily pay you for shipping it to me the fastest way possible.. Even if I have to pay for overnight shipping, On my dime.. I don't care.. Worth it to me..

I will also pay shipping back to you, to send you the defective board, when I get the new one..

Even a used board will get me through, till I can buy a IBU2 board and radio.. Crius suggested that board, and after looking at it, I find wisdom in his words in buying it..

He sold me on it.. Now, all i have to do is find someone here in the states to sell it to me.. And maybe a decent radio.. I was thinking maybe the i10 or something similar.. Something easy to program.. I don't want a radio that has to be trimmed on my computer.. The radio has to have dual self centering sticks, and a trim pot on it..

Can you do this for me? I would be forever grateful Sir.. If so, lets get hooked up on the phone, and make it happen Captain.

Last edited by gp100; 01-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok so if you purchased a tank through us or a dealer then there is no way I would SELL you a board if yours was defective. That just isn't how I run Taigen USA and it isn't how IMEX runs either. I do have spares and I will send you out a replacement once I see the email ok? If you haven't sent it yet just include your Amazon order number in the contact form. I would however like to recall that item back, I have had little issues with them and would like to keep it that way. You will not be charged to send it back either, I will take care of that. Usually I would tell you to just keep a small item like that but as a newly released part I want to check it over just to make sure. I am actually heading to the factory in a few months so it will take the ride along with me most likely.

Yes I do need to update the site too, that is on my list but atm I'm working on support I'm actually typing this while on a phone call.... I'll be working tomorrow as well so keep watch lol. No sleep for the tanknician! Also my direct email is [email protected] if you guys ever need as well. Sometimes (most of the time as us RCU guys know) the PM system doesn't work here too so you have that alternative way to get in contact. I'm slowly catching up, I was not expecting at all the orders we got this year. I will happily say the tank hobby is growing and at a pretty nice pace.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gp100
Hi Erik,

Even a used board will get me through, till I can buy a IBU2 board and radio.. Crius suggested that board, and after looking at it, I find wisdom in his words in buying it..

He sold me on it.. Now, all i have to do is find someone here in the states to sell it to me.. And maybe a decent radio.. I was thinking maybe the i10 or something similar.. Something easy to program.. I don't want a radio that has to be trimmed on my computer.. The radio has to have dual self centering sticks, and a trim pot on it..""

Hi, The official "IBU" Dealer for the United States and Canada is ---
www.rctankelectronics.com
The main man is Ian and he is based in Manchester, England, He has a very good reputation on both sides of the Atlantic he can sell you an IBU 2 plus a TARR Smoker, these are vastly superior to the Taigen/Heng Long smokers as well as a Transmitter and Receiver as a package.
Ian is a member of RCU as well as RCTW under the name of "TANKBEAR".
I am just one of many happy customers.
Shaun.

Last edited by jarndice; 01-12-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:09 AM
gp100

Hi Erik,

THANK YOU!

By the way, I meant no disrespect by saying I was trying to buy one.. but I figured it might be faster for my needs..

I truly appreciate you helping me on this... And yes, I understand you would want the bad board back.. Hence why I was willing to pay to ship it to you.. You need to evaluate the board and see where it went wrong.. To avoid future issues..

I realize you are willing to send me a replacement.. However, I'm still willing to pay for fedex overnight, or whatever I can.. For two reasons.. First, my tank is important to me.. It's all i have left to enjoy.. I don't want to be without my Tiger 1 for 7-10 days waiting on a part.. And second, I don't expect any company to front the cost of an overnight item that might cost more than the part is worth.. That isn't fair to Imex/Taigen.. I'm a fair person.. I believe in being an honest person, and doing what's right..

That said my friend, I'll split the difference with you if your willing.. Your willing to give me the part, I'll be thrilled to pay the overnight shipping..

This way, everybody wins.. And Taigen doesn't have to lose anything.. I like you Erik.. And I respect you.. So I mean no disrespect to you, or Taigen by that offer.. I mean well..

Sincerely,

Mike P.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM
gp100

Originally Posted by jarndice
Hi, The official "IBU" Dealer for the United States and Canada is ---
www.rctankelectronics.com
The main man is Ian and he is based in Manchester, England, He has a very good reputation on both sides of the Atlantic he can sell you an IBU 2 plus a TARR Smoker, these are vastly superior to the Taigen/Heng Long smokers as well as a Transmitter and Receiver as a package.
Ian is a member of RCU as well as RCTW under the name of "TANKBEAR".
I am just one of many happy customers.
Shaun.
Jarndice,

THANK YOU! That will help me tremendously.. I will see if I can call him if he has a number on that site.. If he can do it all for me, then I'm all in..

I would love a TARR unit.. I was thinking on that this morning.. You read my mind.. I want it ALL.. The whole package you just described..

Thank you so much jarndice..

Sincerely,

Mike P.

P.S: For some reason, I can only make 5 posts within a 24 hour period here the board says.. Hmm.

Rats.. They don't have a phone number.. Was hoping to get a hold of them on the phone, to ask questions and describe what I was interested in.. Since I'm not sure of all the options..

Last edited by gp100; 01-12-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Crius

I see Shaun beat me to the IBU info, but he's absolutely correct, Ian is top notch. Here's his email

[email protected]

He can hook you up, but with him being in the UK it might not be possible to contact him by phone. But Ian's great about prompt replies (remember that he's five hours ahead of us) and every person I've ever sent to him has been happy and most are now repeat customers. So be sure to tell him Gary in Detroit sent you.

You can check out all his stuff right here

https://www.rctankelectronics.com/st..._Products.html

It seems Erik has things well in hand here so I'll let you two work out the details, and I hope it all works out for you. I can completely understand why they've had to cut back on phone calls, too. I'll bet he gets lots of guys that buy a Heng Long tank and then call Imex to ask how to install a Clark board. Not cool. In your case, Mike, you bought your tank from them so I'm sure Erik will see you happy before he's done, but I can really understand why they've had to cut down on the phone calls. But rest assured that you're in the best of hands, and the people at Imex really do care about their customers. I was one of Erik's first customers and since then we really have become friends. I drove down to Toledo to meet Erik and Bill and it was time well spent. A pair of truly great guys, and I'm glad they're in this hobby.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM
gp100

I see Shaun beat me to the IBU info, but he's absolutely correct, Ian is top notch. Here's his email

[email protected]

He can hook you up, but with him being in the UK it might not be possible to contact him by phone. But Ian's great about prompt replies (remember that he's five hours ahead of us) and every person I've ever sent to him has been happy and most are now repeat customers. So be sure to tell him Gary in Detroit sent you.

You can check out all his stuff right here

https://www.rctankelectronics.com/st..._Products.html

It seems Erik has things well in hand here so I'll let you two work out the details, and I hope it all works out for you. I can completely understand why they've had to cut back on phone calls, too. I'll bet he gets lots of guys that buy a Heng Long tank and then call Imex to ask how to install a Clark board. Not cool. In your case, Mike, you bought your tank from them so I'm sure Erik will see you happy before he's done, but I can really understand why they've had to cut down on the phone calls. But rest assured that you're in the best of hands, and the people at Imex really do care about their customers. I was one of Erik's first customers and since then we really have become friends. I drove down to Toledo to meet Erik and Bill and it was time well spent. A pair of truly great guys, and I'm glad they're in this hobby.
Hi Crius,

First, please let me say how much i appreciate you telling me about the IBU2 board.. I'm going with that option.. That board seems to have everything you can want in a board and more.. Hard to go wrong with that board it seems.. I like the fact that it has dual fuses on it.. Protects everything.. Smart design by someone who was actually thinking about things.. Excellent engineering..

I'm going to send Ian an e-mail this afternoon.. As soon as I get back from the hospital for my cancer treatment.. I'm going to purchase the whole deal from Ian..

The IBU2 Board, Plus a TARR Smoker for it, and a transmitter and receiver.. Hopefully, he can set it all up for me.. Then, all I have to do is install it and go..

I don't look at it as money spent.. I see it as an investment into my enjoyment.. Everybody needs a hobby in life to enjoy.. And mine is this tank.. So, if I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it right.. Or why bother? You only live once.. You might as well enjoy it..

Yeah, I agree it's not cool to buy a different product, then ask Taigen how to install a Clark board.. However, it seems Erik has a video on that to.. lol. He must get a lot of requests for that one..

I was thinking about a nice i10 radio to go with it.. A friend of mine has that radio, and it really is the easiest radio to program I've ever seen.. But, I do think it's a bit overkill for a tank.. To much radio, not enough tank.. lol..

Any radio I get will have to have dual centering sticks, and a wiper on it.. I hate the idea of having to do a trim on my computer.. I like the Taigen T5 TX for that reason.. The trim pot.. Makes it so much easier.. Anyway, I look forward to dealing with Ian.. And yes, I'll be happy to tell him you sent me..

I'll talk to you all later.. Gotta get going.. The medical service is here to pick me up.. Oh joy.. I hate these treatments.. Today, they are drilling holes in my bones..

This sucks..
Old 01-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Crius

The i10 is my favorite TX. That's what runs my 1/6 Hetzer and my 1/16 Jagdtiger and it's absolutely the easiest radio to use that I've found so far. If you do go with the i10 you'll need a self centering lever for the left stick, but as it happens Ian also has those at a good price and I have a video at my youtube channel on how to install them.

Good luck with the treatments. It sucks for us, too, knowing a fellow RC Tanker is going through that.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The i10 is my favorite TX. That's what runs my 1/6 Hetzer and my 1/16 Jagdtiger and it's absolutely the easiest radio to use that I've found so far. If you do go with the i10 you'll need a self centering lever for the left stick, but as it happens Ian also has those at a good price and I have a video at my youtube channel on how to install them.

Good luck with the treatments. It sucks for us, too, knowing a fellow RC Tanker is going through that.
I used your vid to install mine.

Good luck. My wife is going through some serious health problems too. Having a hobby helps.