Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New member saying hello, and a question.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New member saying hello, and a question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:12 AM
gp100

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member saying hello, and a question.

Greetings,

Just a new member to the tank community wanting to say hello. I've been involved in different RC hobbies for years.
However, this is my first foray into tanks. I recently purchased a brand new Mid Version Tiger 1 with all the upgrades you can get, from Taigen.

A few days ago, I kind of "fat-fingered" the antenna I suppose, and broke the antenna holder at the joint where it folds down.. Now, I see where they sell the antenna holder, but according to the e-mail Erik sent me, the wire antenna just slides out of the holder so you can put it in a brand new holder.. This is not the case on my transmitter.. The original T5 Transmitter that came with the tank.. The wire is stuck in the holder. Now, knowing electronics as I do, and how finicky they can be. You don't really want to be pulling hard on these wires. Breakage is not desirable, as it can affect the signal since there isn't much wire to begin with on this radio.. And it is soldered to the board mind you..

Any suggestions as to get this wire out in one piece so I can replace the antenna holder? Or am I pretty much screwed here? Not really interested in purchasing another $40 radio for an antenna that most people can buy for $5-$6..

I can buy a Traxxas antenna holder that looks almost identical with the wire for $5. But the Traxxas plugs in.. The Taigen doesn't..

Any help would be appreciated.. Especially if anyone has had this issue in the past.. Thanks in advance..

Last edited by gp100; 01-05-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:24 PM
gp100

120 views and no comments to a new member? Not even a hi, welcome aboard? We're glad to have you here.. Nothing? Alrighty then.. Sorry to bother you guys.. Have a good one..

Last edited by gp100; 01-05-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:50 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Hello.

And welcome, now i dont want to come off as an ass but it has only been 5 hours since your first post. People here do have jobs and might not have had the opportunity to get on here and say hello, or answer your question. And coming off sarcastic isnt going to help you. Now with that being said these people who are on here are a great group of people as I know first hand how helpful they can be.
I unfortunately do not have an answer for you, except to possibly to glue the holder, i have broke the holder on a bunch of my transmitters by being careless and have glued them in place and they have worked fine.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 01-05-2018, 07:26 PM
gp100

Hi Wade,

Sorry.. Wasn't trying to come off sarcastic. Just thought that after 120 views, at least someone could say Hi there. Can't help you, but welcome aboard.. If people can view a post, they have time to say one word.. Hello.. Make a person feel welcome.. You did it.. And I appreciate that. Thanks. Not meant to be rude.. I'm just used to people greeting you and saying hi there dude! We sure are glad to have more people in the hobby. I've also been on a few boards where they are not to welcoming to new people on the board.. So, I know nothing about this place. And didn't know if this was like that..

Anyway, I did the same thing for now.. Not a big deal really. Just thought maybe someone had a technique on how to get these things out.. I'm not going to waste any cash on it. What's the point in buying a holder when you can't get the antenna out of it? I'll just buy an i10 radio or an Q7 and never look back.

I miss my old Q7.. Was a pretty decent radio. But there are some better options in my opinion.. Still, an i10 is a bit of overkill for a tank in my opinion.. To much radio for the job honestly.. But a great rig.. I won't be buying another tank, so it's not like I need a bunch of slots to put other ones in.. But I could get an i10 for about $135 with receiver if I want to.. Not a bad price actually for all it can do.. I've seen this radio in the field and used it.. Impressive to say the least..

Anyway, again. Wasn't trying to be rude. Apologies. Thank you for the greetings Sir. And no. You were not coming off as an ass. Not at all.. I didn't take it that way at all.

Glad to be here. Perhaps I can help others with my knowledge of electronics. I dabble here and there you could say.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Rjag

Smile Hi

I'll issue a welcome and ask where you are from?
BTW, we don't have a moderator here and many may feel it's not their place to do greetings.
Number of oldtimers with lots of expertise and they do share regularly.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:23 PM
gp100

Originally Posted by Rjag
I'll issue a welcome and ask where you are from?
BTW, we don't have a moderator here and many may feel it's not their place to do greetings.
Number of oldtimers with lots of expertise and they do share regularly.
Well hi there Rjag,

Thank you for the welcome.. Ahh, well I didn't realize there was no moderation here.. That explains it a bit.. Usually moderators are the first to come out and greet. I'm a moderator myself on a few boards. I'm from Idaho actually.. And not any hobby shops here to be honest. And no clubs really either. We don't have much where I live currently. I want to move to be honest.

I use to be a Hollywood stuntman that is now retired with over 100 films to my credit over the years. Including Star Trek, Stargate SG-1 and many others..
Over the years, I've been a klingon, a Romulan, a Borq, and even a few other characters on the Tv series.. I've been in everything from The next generation, to Voyager, and Deep Space Nine.. You name it, I've done it.. Even played a Jaffa warrior in SG-1, and did the voice over for Anubis a few times in the show.. Can still do it after all these years..

Just a bit of background on me..

I'm disabled now, living in a wheelchair.. But I still enjoy my hobbies. And love to share my knowledge freely.. I'm 50 by the way..
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi welcome aboard. A Stuntman! That’s awesome, I bet you have some great stories.
This forum can move slowly, and it can take a while for folks to post. I am guilty of reading more than I
write , but I view on a phone and hate typing w my thumbs lol.
The folks here are great and have an amazing amount of knowledge.
cheers
Mark
Old 01-06-2018, 12:16 AM
gp100

Originally Posted by Markocaster
Hi welcome aboard. A Stuntman! That’s awesome, I bet you have some great stories.
This forum can move slowly, and it can take a while for folks to post. I am guilty of reading more than I
write , but I view on a phone and hate typing w my thumbs lol.
The folks here are great and have an amazing amount of knowledge.
cheers
Mark
Hi Mark,

Yeah, I've got a few stories over the years.. Did it since 1986. So I've been at it a while.. Seen a lot of things over the years.. Been blown up, knocked down. You name it.
It's a rough life at times. But fun. Hopefully, I can contribute some of my knowledge here to others and help out.

Cheers back to you Mark.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:04 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to be a stuntman too, well not really...but i have done some really stupid boneheaded stuff at my house that would classify as being a stuntman. Most of the time it included either the tractor or a chainsaw. Anyway welcome again. I pop up on here occasionally not as much as I would like to though. My 7yr old son has me involved in rc crawlers or should I say I have him involved in them, so that kind of takes up a lot of our rc time together.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:37 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gp100, Hi and welcome,
I dont visit here too much anymore as I had to sell off all but one of my 1/16 tanks.
What radio do you have? Is it the new V2 Electronics or the V1? I have some parts for
the V1 electronics, if thats what you have, I may be able to help you.

Thanks,
Shad
Old 01-06-2018, 02:50 PM
gp100

Originally Posted by Shorty54
gp100, Hi and welcome,
I dont visit here too much anymore as I had to sell off all but one of my 1/16 tanks.
What radio do you have? Is it the new V2 Electronics or the V1? I have some parts for
the V1 electronics, if thats what you have, I may be able to help you.

Thanks,
Shad
Hi Shorty,

I have all the upgrades you can possibly get for the Tank. It has the V2 Electronics package in it. And a 4:1 Steel Gearbox with 390 motors installed. Steel Tracks. All metal version of the tank. Airsoft version. This tank weighs about 20 pounds all by itself. Drop this thing on your foot and your in trouble.. It's off to the hospital for you..

The radio, is the standard T5 the tank comes with from Taigen. Has a button on it for the mg. Toggle switch for the smoke unit. Not a bad little radio. It does what it should. I like the "trim on the fly" function. Pretty solid radio for $40. Not bad at all.

It came with a standard 2000mah battery. But I ditched that right off and bought 2 5000mah batts. I figure go big, or go home.. Just for the tank itself, it cost me $500 + shipping. Then you add in 2 batteries at $30 a pop. Plus new charger, I've got $600+ invested into it.. But I figure what the hell? I'm not going to live forever.. Might as well enjoy my hobby now while I still can.. I live my life in a motorized wheelchair now.. So my enjoyment factor isn't much anymore.. I might as well enjoy this tank and have some fun in my life.. To me, it's worth the money.

I didn't have them put an apple on it because nobody out here has tanks as a hobby.. Nobody to compete with.. So I figured I would get more play value out of the Airsoft version.. At least I can hit targets with it..

Only thing I dislike about it, is the anemic smoke unit.. Otherwise, this tank is a beast..
Old 01-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spare V1 T5 Radio, but if you have the V2, its probably not much use for you.

Shad
Old 01-07-2018, 03:28 AM
gp100

Hi Shorty,

Thanks for the offer. But I jut bought a new radio for it.. So I'm okay..

I just found out you can only post 5 times in a 24 hour period? What's that about if I can ask? Do you have to buy a membership or something to be able to post more?

Anybody know about this that can tell me?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:45 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome abroad gp100. Hope to see photos of your Tank!!!