Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Are they all about the same speed?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Are they all about the same speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:08 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are they all about the same speed?

I've just gotten my Tamiya Pz IV working. It's my first one and was very enjoyable. Been running it around in the cul de sac and looking all over for some place to practice driving. (My yard is deep grass in the front and steep hill in the back.)

Not a big surprise, but I'm already trying to decide on my next one. It's between the Sherman and KV-1, both Tamy's as I'm sticking with something that won't require re-working. Between those two, the puzzle that bothers me may surprise you.

I've only been to one battle day at the museum in Danville so have only seen a few in action. I didn't pay enough attention to know the answer to the puzzle. The KV-1 in real life was slow. Is the Tamy model going to be significantly slower than my Pz IV. I'm sure I'd want the Sherman if the KV is slower than the Pz IV. I figure the Sherman ought to be about as fast as my Pz IV. But got no idea.

Someone said that most of the models are about the same speed, RL or not. I got no clue if that's true or not.

Sooooooo if the Tamy Pz IV, KV-1, and Sherman were running along one of those lanes @ Danville, would they be neck-and-neck? It looks a bit like all 3 have the same motors and use the same batteries.

tia

Last edited by da Rock; 02-01-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:36 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Most tamiya tanks are close to the same speed save the modern tanks and the ones that have geardown hubs.
one way to tell is go download the manual for the tank you are thinking of amd see if it has the same gear boxes as the sherman. Those are standard and probably the same as your p4.
The sherman is quite fast at a scale 22 mph which is top speed on a flat raod for that tank any way. Combat would be unter 10 most of the time. At a field like danville you probably dont want fast any way. MAny people gear down with after market trannys to get lower speeds ao they can keep crawling on those last few hits rather than get bogged down.
on our huge open field in san diego speed is a benefit but after a few hits, your barely moving.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:53 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

The Tamiya tanks use the same transmission gearing for all but the Leopard, Abrams and Type10 which are using an actual differential. Speed is virtually the same. Drive sprocket size does have some impact I suppose. most guys opt to change the pinion for more torque and better scale speed, as well as adding gear downs or going to best route which is ETO Armor's Transmissions. Best fix as far as scale speed, power and durability, as in bulletproof.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM
ausf

I'm assuming the KVs are the same as the JS-2 which moves just a swiftly as the Tiger I and Pz IV I have. It's a nice running tank, my only complaint is the telephone pole barrel takes a while to swing on target. KVs don't have that issue and should be as nimble as the Sherman in battle.

The M4 is a bit smaller, I assume lighter so it may have more scoot, I've never raced them side by side, but it gets into tighter spots, etc so it may just seem a little quick.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:45 PM
da Rock

Good deal.... I appreciate the almost instant info. It's doubly good when it's what you hoped for.

I figure to go for the KV-1.

thanks again
Old 02-01-2018, 06:00 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tammy king tiger is fast out of the box. It is the only one I tell people they'll have to think about regearing or changing a pinion when they are thinking of buying it. At Danville we allow max on road speeds for inspection. For the most part we do reductions to get more torque while your on your last hit and lower voltages are heading to the motors. Sucks having a hit or 2 left and you can't maneuver or climb a hill. Rather be a bit slower than allowed and be able to still be in the battle on my last hit.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:26 PM
da Rock

Thanks for the tip on the King Tiger. I'd like to have a nice, quick Stuart, but never wanted a King Tiger, so I'm safe there.

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
........ At Danville we allow max on road speeds for inspection. ......................
What does Danville do?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by da Rock
Thanks for the tip on the King Tiger. I'd like to have a nice, quick Stuart, but never wanted a King Tiger, so I'm safe there.

What does Danville do?
Sorry, that is how we run inspections at ACE events at Danville.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:24 PM
da Rock

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Sorry, that is how we run inspections at ACE events at Danville.
I'm trying to understand what you're saying, so will simply ask a few more questions.

I've never seen ACE run inspections. Are you saying they include max speed checking? Is there a chart of permissible top speeds?

Thanks for your patience.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 PM
TheBennyB

Yea, no sweat. A.C.E runs 2 event's a year at the museum. It's up to the hosting group for a weekend to decide if they want to run inspections and at what degree if at all. Here's a basic speed chart from another club years back but gives you the idea. Other host's of weekend events may not even run inspections and just self police. Like I said, depends on the host for the weekend. So as you see on the top of this chart this is over a 25 foot straight course. Once you have your tank ready to roll find yourself a flat 25' area and see what your time is. Remember to hit the start line at top speed.
Attached Thumbnails TANK SCALE SPEEDS Apndx_B.pdf  

Last edited by TheBennyB; 02-04-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

At San Diego and LA, we look past the race cars. Never the less, we do get irritated with the stug that does doughnuts and runs circles around a Sherman, and the jagpanzer that does about 45 scale MPH. Its annoying but we are there to have fun and we try not to have too many rules. If you want a fast tank, well, its your prerogative