Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/10 scale Hooben tanks??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/10 scale Hooben tanks??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 02:01 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

but , atleast they could have treaten the big boy with some thicker sidewalls in the gearbox.. paper thin stuff
Old 03-11-2018, 11:32 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sollie
but , atleast they could have treaten the big boy with some thicker sidewalls in the gearbox.. paper thin stuff
If the driveshaft have support bearings it won't be an issue
Old 03-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhugill
If the driveshaft have support bearings it won't be an issue
I don't know about that Tom I have to side with Sollie on this one. Looking at that gearbox, while it appears to have ball bearing supports
for all shafts it appears that there's too much metal unsupported where the output drive shaft is. This area can be subjected to stress if the
model is running in terrain that strains the track or worse if the track is jammed. I'd feel better if there was more support in this area. The quality
of the shaft rod, bearings and gears is unknown. Thin steel is ok but support, support, support.....

I still want a Sherman ( I have enough Tiger I models ). I must respond to Hooben's invoice!

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger I GB.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	2258833  
Old 03-11-2018, 08:27 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Never fear, if this thing comes to fruition I'm sure Daryl and I can whip up some of my stump pullers to do the job. According to Moscow Automotive Testing Institute, when used as a winch my units will lift minimum 17 kilos a meter off the floor. That should be enough power and strength to move these things around.

"Gearbox was installed on the test stand, load immediately was put 6 kg / cm, power to motor was provided at 7.2v. Motor working with this load was lukewarm while working 72 hours continuously.
Next, 9 kg / cm - while working 72 hours nonstop, the motor was 43 C.
Next, 12 kg / cm - 72 hours nonstop, the motor was 53 C.
Next 15 kg / cm - 72 hours nonstop, the motor was 58 C.
Next, 18 kg / cm - 48 hours nonstop, the motor was 75 C, temperature rose but not much, but tests had to be stopped because the beginning to smell overheated windings.
Then, on the shaft of the gearbox was installed strap (at the end of the shaft) and it was loaded slowly to 15 kg, in order to identify the amount of load to cause the shaft to break or bend, with the strap wound on the shaft lifting the load from the floor level to the level of 1 meter. The test was completed without breaking the any shafts (although doubts have been thought and a couple of shafts were on hand to replace broken shafts if needed), weight was taken and even more to 17 kg."
Old 04-23-2018, 01:40 PM
tiger rampage

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just saw the 1/10 Sherman for sale on eBay rtr for $1758 free shipping.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:50 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hooben-NEW-...MAAOSwAu5a3Ueq

1/10 Tiger also...
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

$1260 local cost in my neighborhood based on current exchange.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:57 PM
herrmill

Default Ft-17

Jerry, not a Hooben release but got the intel from their loaban, Bill Feng, earlier today.

Looks promising assuming it does come to fruition & isn't just another "possible model".

Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by herrmill
Jerry, not a Hooben release but got the intel from their loaban, Bill Feng, earlier today.

Looks promising assuming it does come to fruition & isn't just another "possible model".

Ahhhhhhh I just got a chill! THAT would be cool to have...

Many thanks for posting that.

I checked their website and it says their website is "coming soon" and it's late... bummer

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 04-30-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1/10 tiger is very interesting, I am in the market for a big tank, I was steering towards FOA 1/6 kit, hadn’t really considered 1/10 , how about 1/8 any thoughts I see rcarmory makes a kit.
Jerry 4 tigers wow
Old 04-30-2018, 11:53 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Markocaster
The 1/10 tiger is very interesting, I am in the market for a big tank, I was steering towards FOA 1/6 kit, hadn’t really considered 1/10 , how about 1/8 any thoughts I see rcarmory makes a kit.
Jerry 4 tigers wow
I wasn't sure RC Armory was still in business, good to hear he is. Although his models are composite plastic the
quality has always been top drawer. I say although plastic because since I've been always interested in tank models with
glow/ignition engines plastic was not pratical for me. But for electrics if you want 1/8 scale his are the best IMHO.

Yes 4, 5 actually if you include the SturmTiger.

Jerry
Old 06-30-2018, 09:25 AM
Alan123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I have received a 1/10 Tiger and it is fantastic!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Alan123
Hello,

Always a great day when someone gets a 1/10 scale tank!
Remember: 1/10 scale is THE best scale for a tank model- it's just that the rest of the world hasn't caught on yet...!

Then I'm biased.

Jerry
Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 PM
herrmill

Originally Posted by Alan123
Hello,

The build quality overall looks quite good from what I saw from close examination of the several at Hooben's recent event last month. I was tempted between but opted instead for the smaller 1/16 versions due to limited display space in our flat. That said, I was also told in no uncertain terms by my CFO that I was NOT to bring "one of those big tanks home!" ;-)
Old 06-30-2018, 03:50 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by herrmill
The build quality overall looks quite good from what I saw from close examination of the several at Hooben's recent event last month. I was tempted between but opted instead for the smaller 1/16 versions due to limited display space in our flat. That said, I was also told in no uncertain terms by my CFO that I was NOT to bring "one of those big tanks home!" ;-)
Aww! I know you love her dearly but in this regard she sounds like a big meanie....
Old 07-01-2018, 04:18 AM
Alan123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One problem I have is that the Clark control board that came with it will not turn the tank equally in both directions no matter how much I adjust the trimmers.

I just changed out the RC gear and it was a little better, however, the tank can barely turn left but can easily turn right.

Any idea how one can make the Clark control board "learn" the transmitter stick settings like one can with a Tamiya DMD and the setup button? Does Clark have a similar setup setting? And if so how? I have done a lot of internet surfing to find an answer and not found one.

When I get it all detailed, painted and weathered I will post a movie of it driving around.

It is as wide as a 1/16 tiger is long, and four 1/16th Tigers fit into it sideways.

The size is eye-catching.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited by Alan123; 07-01-2018 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:51 AM
SteelBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Specs of the Hooben 1/10 given by Hooben:

Chassis Metal
Gearbox(2x540) Metal
Barrel Plastic
Sprocket and Idler Nylon
Track Nylon
Suspension TorsionBar
Rubber tires Optional
Smoke generator N/A
Sound Universal
Turret 360degree rotation YES
Barrel real degree elevation YES
Barrel recoil YES
Chassis recoil YES
Real lights YES
FPV camera Optional
FPV Glasses Optional
IR Battle system YES
VCU YES
2.4G RC YES
Battery N/A
Charger N/A
Painting Basic
Old 11-12-2018, 01:21 AM
herrmill

Any further word on availability? Metal upgrade parts? Last time I was at Hooben I saw Feng's Tiger which looks sweet along with a few of his Tiger P and some other new items not in market. Overall their 1/10 offering is nice if you can get them.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:47 AM
SteelBird

I was quite excited when I saw the 1/10 Tiger and Sherman. I thought I would get at least one of them but when I saw the photo of the gearboxes in previous posts and read the specs of these tank, I started to hesitate. If you want all the good stuff for these tanks, I'm afraid the price may double or more.

Refer to the second photo, is there such a tank exist? Elephant chassis, Tiger 1's turret and PzIII's tool box!
Old 11-12-2018, 05:25 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelBird
I was quite excited when I saw the 1/10 Tiger and Sherman. I thought I would get at least one of them but when I saw the photo of the gearboxes in previous posts and read the specs of these tank, I started to hesitate. If you want all the good stuff for these tanks, I'm afraid the price may double or more.

Refer to the second photo, is there such a tank exist? Elephant chassis, Tiger 1's turret and PzIII's tool box!
Yes the Porsche entry to the tiger design requirement, they were converted to Ferdinand and then elefants with the exception of one (or three depending on source) which served on the eastern front
Old 11-12-2018, 05:30 AM
herrmill

I agree the gearboxes look a tad cheesy but after seeing both Tiger & M4 up close, have to say they are worth the money even if you care to upgrade some components yourself. I'm still tempted to get one but my son is lobbying hard for a 1/6 M4A3.

Regarding the Tiger (P), that design certainly existed - this was Porsche's VK 4501 design that lost to Henschel who won the contract to produce what was to become the Tiger I. The 1/16 models you see represent 3X the number that actually saw service in that form as a command tank once the Ferdinands & Elefants were built.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VK_4501_(P)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Tanque

I interpreted Steelbird's question more as was the VK 4501 equipped with a Rommelkiste as the Pz III had..
It's possible I s'pose but most photos and drawings I've seen show no stowage bin of the turret rear. Hopefully
Hooben didn't do any funny business with the maingun elevation unit that requires that stowage bin protrusion
to house it...

Regarding the gearboxes, I believe their 1/10 scale models are lightweight and these gearboxes should be up to it.
A heavier model would need something a bit more substantial. The issue with lightweight is as it is with all larger scale
tank models- they'll float over rough terrain. Doesn't really look their best that way.

Charles I'm still waiting for the opportune time to spring for the Sherman but now seeing the Porsche VK 4501 I might just
have to wait even longer- that would be a must have or at least a should have...

Jerry
Old 11-12-2018, 01:46 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Jerry, I have waited for a decent kit of this tank for several years. I had one of Christian Ludwig's first kits, when he was making them out of that black foam rubber material. Trying to both reinforce and glue that flexible material was an exercise in frustration, and I ended up trashing it. Then, I almost bought the Asiatam all-metal one until I read the problems people were having with their metal Elefant. So, about this time last year, when I heard that Hooben was coming out with one, I jumped on it. I am 95% happy with it.

The stowage basket on the turret rear is a separate piece, and does not house the recoil unit in any way. I think that for the one VK45.01(p) vehicle that actually saw combat, they did a pretty great job of replicating it. They got the side turret vision ports at the right height, (41cm as opposed to 48cm on the later Henschel Tiger I turrets), and they give you the option of the turret escape hatch or another pistol port, (which actually takes a lot of filler to blend with the turret wall). They have improved the gearboxes and final drive from the earlier Elefant kits, too. My only real gripe with the design is that the upper deck fits into the side walls of the hull, so that it's flush. You use six screws to hold it down onto brass standoffs, (you can see two of the screw heads pretty well in the photo). What I did to counteract this was to cut down along the inside of the side walls, so that I was left with the bottom of the upper hull that sits atop the fenders. That let me glue the upper hull onto the side pieces, and I can remove the whole upper half and turret as one unit, (the upper hull now 'keys' onto the remnant mounted to the fenders, and I'm using magnets to hold it in place).

The only other complaint I have is with the fit of the turret onto the hull. On their first VK45.01 kit, it had a thin roller bearing that the turret pivoted on. They quickly changed this to a less expensive version, that was merely a thick plastic ring that sits a little higher than the hull top, and which I think was glued into the upper hull by the legendary glue monkeys. No matter how carefully I tried, I could NOT remove it. With this design, the ring makes the turret sit with a rather large gap under it, (which you can see on all three of them in the photo). I ended up having to cut out the bottom of the turret, and raise that higher into the turret sides - (what a pain!) - so that I could get the lower edge closer to the top of the hull. I am in the middle of purchasing a second kit to build as the earlier raised-roof type of turret, and have asked Hooben not to glue in the plastic ring so that I can set my own turret height.

I do like the kit, and would recommend it. -Mike
Old 11-12-2018, 01:58 PM
herrmill

Jerry, there's an ongoing build of Hooben's 1/16 Tiger (P) kit over at RCTW:

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=23&t=25192

I'd surmise they're now also offering as ARTR same as the Elefant.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Tanque

Hmmmm. I do have Asiatam's...I was actually hoping this was another 1/10 scale...THAT would have been something to see.

I should probably build at least some of the things I have before trying to buy more stuff. I'll be surprised one day when I
finish what I have only to find myself sleeping outside while my models are comfortably inside...

Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.