Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

new heng long sherman plastic or metal tracks ???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

new heng long sherman plastic or metal tracks ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:57 PM
luv2flywarbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new heng long sherman plastic or metal tracks ???

hello need advice on heng long...i have heng long tiger plastic track and i liked it so i am getting another heng long and i want sherman.
my budget allows me tanks under $300
whats you advice? any problem wirh heng long sherman metal tracks?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:15 PM
armourguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to go for the metal track, from what I have seen you will need to upgrade your gearbox with steel gears. The plastic ones will eventually wear out after not a whole lot of driving and the zinc "metal Upgraded" gearboxes wear quicker.

The HL Red gearboxes are ok, but you will need to swap out the motors with the current ones as the blue motors that come with them are way too fast, also there is a small grub screw that secures the final drive gear to the sprocket axle. There is no lock tight on this and will loosen when driving causing slippage. It's fixable... before I mount the gearbox I add some liquid thin CA into the cavity locking the tightened fastener permanently in place preventing it from getting loose.

The Taigen V2 gearboxes are also a great option. They mount to the HL hull with no mods needed, and they don't need the extra prepwork that the HL gearboxes get. The only thing that is noteworthy on the Taigen Gearbox is that taigen uses a larger fastener for securing the sprocket in place and depending on which metal track / sprocket you use you may have to enlarge the mounting fastener hole in the sprocket
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM
luv2flywarbird

thank you for great info sir
maybe i should save money and get a tagen sherman...
Old 03-23-2018, 01:42 AM
CaptainB

I have the HL Sherman and love the plastic tracks and gearboxes. It drives lovely and is quiet and has plenty of oomph for my backyard running so I don't plan on upgrading the drive system.
I have put metal wheels and sprockets on it though just for a better scale look and am converting the airsoft system to include the Taigen barrel recoil system.

So, I guess it depends on what you want really - for me, upgrading to metal gearboxes and tracks causes more headaches that it's worth.

Cheers

CaptB
Old 03-23-2018, 04:06 AM
luv2flywarbird

yea... i am satisfied with my heng long plastic tiger
i think i will get plastic sherman as well
Old 03-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The only reason to get shut of the plastic HL tracks is the looks, IMHO - the guide horns are moulded into the track pads, where as they should be part of the end connectors. Its a minor detail tho, and a set of Taigen tracks, sprockets, idlers and the necessary HL steel upgrade gearboxes isn't really worth the extra cost if you just want 'something that works'.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:10 AM
luv2flywarbird

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
The only reason to get shut of the plastic HL tracks is the looks, IMHO - the guide horns are moulded into the track pads, where as they should be part of the end connectors. Its a minor detail tho, and a set of Taigen tracks, sprockets, idlers and the necessary HL steel upgrade gearboxes isn't really worth the extra cost if you just want 'something that works'.
thank you for info...thats what i was thinking...