Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What to build next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What to build next?

Just about done tweaking my Abrams, T90 and Challenger 2 as all have now reached a point of "if it ain't broke..." I like modern tanks but love the earlier cold war NATO tanks like the M60, Leopard 1, Chieftain and AMX30. But there is no one mass marketed versions of these and I am not into "one offs" with no product support. Have too many of those T-shirts.

So I was thinking of an M41 Bulldog and giving it a modern "twist" with an upgraded 105 gun, some ERA, commanders independent sighting system, smoke launchers, Abrams/Leopard 2/T90 sprockets & tracks and a "CROW" type mounted weapon system. Kind of in the line of what has been done to keep the M60 and Leo 1 relatively effective in modern combat and since there are still countries using the M41.

I also thought about kit bashing a few modern tank together and doing some mix and matching of parts to make a completely new tank. I did this not long ago with a T90 and ZTZ 99A were I installed the turret of the ZTZ onto the T90 added a 120 NATO gun and then ERA to the side skirts. It was a interesting tank that I felt took the best elements of each an made a better balanced looking tank compared to the ZTZ rear hull being to long for its turret and the T90 with its super small turret. The shorter T90 hull mated to the larger ZTZ turret were a good balance. To bad it was stolen before I could ever get it out to run and photograph. It was a pain to get the turret working so I did not want build another.

What are your thoughts? Do the M41 modernization or kit bash something together like a Leopard 2 and Challenger 2, or a Challenger 2 and Abrams, or a Leopard 2 Abrams maybe a M41 and M26 mix?

P.S. I can see and hear the "purest" now, screaming pulling hair out and pounding on their desk as the read this. I get it guys, but its all about having some fun and putting a twist to the hobby.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-13-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The Bulldog is a great little tank, even if HL produced something closer to 1/14th than 1/16th. I turned mine into a dual purpose tank, with two separate hull tops, one accurate and one a "paper panzer" with AA guns. It's on a TK22 and it's one of the best running tanks I own.

Guess you know that means I vote for the M-41, right?

Here's mine in the stock configuration

and here with the AA hull top.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:59 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Maybe considder an Leapord 2 a6 or find a static L1 kit and adapt a chassis to it.
just some thoughts that might fit your theme
Old 04-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Crius
The Bulldog is a great little tank, even if HL produced something closer to 1/14th than 1/16th. I turned mine into a dual purpose tank, with two separate hull tops, one accurate and one a "paper panzer" with AA guns. It's on a TK22 and it's one of the best running tanks I own.

Guess you know that means I vote for the M-41, right?

Here's mine in the stock configuration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-H_hqIVYbQ

and here with the AA hull top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r9bhTFPygY&t=58s
I like the "AA 41". Out of the box thinking and a lot of fun!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Maccrage

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
I like the "AA 41". Out of the box thinking and a lot of fun!
Mini Duster. I like it.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Spitvalve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there are some South American countries that have M-41s with some crazy side skirts and really cool camouflage schemes. Do it...Do it...Do it!

Mike.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your digging the early cold war era and want a bit of a challenge go for the Hooben T-54/55.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
If your digging the early cold war era and want a bit of a challenge go for the Hooben T-54/55.
A T55 (cool as they are) would be a bit limiting for my wants in this project. For this one I think the HL Western designs will work best. They are CHEAP to purchase with more parts compatibility than most folks realize. This makes for easier mix and matching of parts plus the availability of spare parts should the end product be something I want to keep around a play hard with.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:42 AM
Cruiser133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the idea of RCing a Tamiya Leopard 1A4 or a Gepard. Daryl Turner is the man to see if you want to go down that road. I am just about done on my Leo and I have a Gepard patiently waiting...
Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

There you go some modern South American up grades
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM
bowlman

I kind of like the World of Tanks M41 90mm myself

Old 04-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Fsttanks

Well the new project tank is going to be an "upgraded/modernized" M41. I have a new M41 and some additional accent parts on order and those should start showing up in a week or two. In the mean time I have be using my wrecked M41 (as seen being driven over in recent comparison testing threads) to work up some "rough" ideas and approaches to the modernized design. I am focusing on the turret mostly as the hull is pretty straight forward and is not going to see much in the way of significant add-ons except to the forward hull slops which will match those of the turret.

There are two types of "protection" EAA (Enhanced Applique Armor) upgrades I am considering doing. The first would looks similar to that used on some U.S. Marine AAV-7A1 kind of triangular shaped wedges running mostly longitudinally along the hull (turret in my case, see first set of photos). The second would be more of a "contoured / conformal" ceramic plate design (see photos).

Both have their plus and minuses. The triangular wedges look very aggressive in person (plus), but do take away from the smooth lines of the turret resulting in a dramatic change in the turret's silhouette (minus). The contoured ceramic looks less aggressive (minus), but maintains the classic M41 turret silhouette (plus). Your thoughts on which one?

The CITS is also shown (center) on the turret, but I am "on the fence" if I should keep the one shown (Challenger 2) or use one from a Leopard 2. The Leopard 2 sight is a little smaller with slightly cleaner lines. Also shown is the Rheinmetall 105mm smooth bore gun upgrade. It looks long in the photos, but is actually the same length as the stock HL 76mm gun.

The green paint scheme shown is NOT the final and was something I slapped on to see how everything "messes" up when painted. All except the 105mm gun will be redone on the new M41 tank/turret that is inbound.

Your constructive thoughts and comments are welcome. Please keep in mind these are the "rough" design mock ups.

"contoured ceramic" armor

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 PM
bowlman

Yes that will work here is some more .

Old 04-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Fsttanks

Update 4/26/18: Modern NATO track modification.

Still waiting on my "accessory" parts and new M41 to arrive, but that has not stopped me from moving forward with fit testing on my old wrecked HL M41. Yesterday was a bucket list check off day for this build. The day was used to see if I could mate up a more modern NATO track and sprocket. Well I am pleased to say that I was able to mate up both Abrams/Leoprad plastic track using a plastic Abrams sprocket and reducing the number of links accordingly to match the M41 factory track length. I was also able to do the same with the a set of Challenger 2 plastic sprockets and tracks. Seems the "backspacing" on both the Abrams and Challenger 2 sprocket place them inboard within 1 to 1.5mm of being centered in the trackway. Given the loose tolerances of the HL models this is close enough to work and/or close enough to adjust easily with shims if needed.

As the my wreaked M41 no longer has motors I was only able to test the track under hand powered rolling. Yes I was like a 10 year old on my hands and knees pushing the M41 around in the dirt, I may have even made engine noises and track squeaking sounds, LOL. Don't lie to yourself, you know you have too. This modification still needs to be tested "under power" to verify it works reliably. If it does, this opened the door to running the outstanding aftermarket metal/rubber padded tracks I am using currently on my both Abrams. With those tracks the M41 might prove be an almost unstoppable off road beast.

Below are photos of the test fitting.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-27-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Fsttanks

Photos of plastic Abrams and Challenger 2 sprocket / track fit on HL M41 Walker Bulldog . Your constructive thoughts and input are welcome.

Challenger 2 sprocket and track

Challenger 2 track

Challenger 2 track

Abrams sprocket and track

Abrams track

Abrams track

Abrams track

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-27-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Fsttanks

Well the new M41 showed up today so now the work on the hull and turret begin for real. Should have the hull done Mon or Tues and ready for paint. The turret is still awaiting some parts from overseas so will not be ready for another week or so but I will be moving forward with applying the appliqué armor and main gun. I decided to go with the “formed” ceramic armor look on both the turret and hull.

First up is to rip the guts out and making room inside for a larger battery which should be easy once I ditch the smoke unit, move the speaker to the rear between the gearboxes and cut the batter box out. Let the fun begin!!!

Check back soon for photos.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:15 AM
bowlman

Well I guess they did test a 105 on the M41 Hull with a Stingray Turrent

Last edited by bowlman; 04-29-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by bowlman
Well I guess they did test a 105 on the M41 Hull with a Stingray Turrent

Yes they did. It never entered service as the need for light tanks was beginning to be phased out in the U.S. and the M41 was/is very old. Though the Stingray turret went onto into service with the Thai army. There were a number of counters that did "up gun" the M41 to 90mm if my memory serves. The main gun my "modernized" version would be using is the Rheinmetall 105mm smooth bore. It is lighter and far more lethal than the L7 shown in your photos. According to Rheinmatall it matches the lethality of the original 120mm gun that was mounted on the M1A1 Abrams and with DP rounds can defeat up to T-72 armor. This is way it was chosen for the Striker mobile gun platform.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 04-29-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:30 AM
Fsttanks

Going to be moving this project over to an official "build thread" starting now, look for it under the title "Heng Long M41 modernization build" if you wish to see more.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:57 PM
bowlman

Rogue Nation M41 what if tank
Rogue Nation M41
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 05-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by bowlman
Rogue Nation M41 what if tank
Rogue Nation M41
Thanks
Jimmy
Fun and good looking tank. I looked and some of these ideas too but decided not to go to extreme as I did not want to loose the clean lines of the M41. I wanted it to be easily recognized as an M41.

I have the separate build thread up and running now. Most of what I am going to do is ready but until it is on the tank anything can be changed.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-01-2018 at 06:43 PM.