Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiyas next 1/16 tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Having worked in the hobby industry many years ago, I have seen several hobby shops close their doors the few that remain around me have adapted and now do a fair amount of repair work on those RTR vehicles that they sell and probably some that are purchased on-line.

Unfortunately that is where the internet purchasing falls down. Many purchasers cannot or will not be able to fix their RTR Tank without help. Even this forum is limited to the amount of help that can be provided, compared to a hands on approach. Most on-line sellers (Amazon, Ebay, etc.) generally do not provide any support or help because they do not want devote the time and money required to provide it.

There are a few exceptions to be sure, Taigen comes to mind, but there is only so much that can be done remotely, repairs still rely on the end user to be able to fix the problems themselves.
A simple problem that would be recognized easily by someone who has some experience in a matter of minutes, may never be diagnosed by a newbie that does not even know what he is looking at.

Everyone who reads posts on this forum has seen some new member asking how to disassemble their particular tank to fix something or the other. Those are the few that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and have some mechanical/electrical ability, those that don't are stuck. I am sure many of those nearly $500.00 RTR tanks end up sitting on a shelf, unless their is a local hobby shop where they can take it to get it fixed.
I know many experienced forum member that are near those less capable tankers generally offer to help them if they bring their tank over and help them fix their tank.
I have seen this many times at Danville and in Texas when I was at their battlefield.

I believe the RC Tank industry is in the same place the RC aircraft industry is albeit on a smaller scale.
On one hand you have the RTR buyers who will come to conclusion that if they cannot fix it themselves it may never get fixed, unless there is someone local to them to help.
On the other hand the RC Tank purchasers that would rather build it themselves, to learn how everything goes together. I think the RTR buyers are less likely to stay with the hobby when something goes wrong with their RTR model, where the latter is more likely to just fix it and continue on.
I applaud the RTR buyers who come on the forums to learn how to repair things themselves, it is not always easy to ask for help, especially when you are new.

I work in computers and whenever someone ask me (a stupid question, in their view) about a computer problem my axiom is, no one was born knowing about computers, the same is true for RC tanks or anything else for that matter. So don't be afraid to ask for help, eveyone has been in that same situation at some point.

As far as the Modern Tanks VS WWII tanks, in my opinion I think WWII tanks offer a much more potentially varied selection, just compare the amount of different tank/assault gun models the Germans produced between 1935 and 1945 not to mention the paper panzers or British or American armor.
If you compare that to the variation of models of tanks produced around the world in the last fifty-five years, there is no comparison. The only variation seems to be between the Eastern Bloc and the West as far as tank design.
I have to agree about the general physical look of Western modern tanks, they are all of similar design parameters so it not surprising they look very similar to each other.

After looking at Tamiya's 1/35 scale RC tanks the only models in that line, that is not in the 1/16th scale line is the T-34 85 and the Sherman M4A3 with the 75mm gun. So if they release a WWII design I predict it would likely be either one of those tanks.

Just my two cents worth.
Steve
Old 05-06-2018, 02:20 AM
wsn123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most wanted for me would be Soviet IS-3 tank (with original engine sound). WWII T-34 is not so good option, because Taigen already released very nice model with metal turret, tracks and wheels.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:42 AM
regsbyg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Isu-152

I could see them do a quick new R.C. In a ISU-152. This would be in line with their Panther/ jadgpanther, Panzer IV/ Jagdpanzer, therefore JS-2/ISU-152. Lower hull, running gear in all three cases already exists. I would love a WW1 Mk. IV. Thought it might happen after the 1/35th release but probably no large market for it. I also thought it might appear as a 1/35th rc kit because, if you have built it, the design has space and interior features for a second gearbox.
cheers
Dave