Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

How to treat the commander's windows on a Sherman?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

How to treat the commander's windows on a Sherman?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:45 AM
maillemaker

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to treat the commander's windows on a Sherman?

So what do you all recommend for treating the commander's windows on the Sherman?

I'm tempted to dremel out the windows and install acrylic windows from behind, but that's a lot of work.
What about painting the inset black and then applying some kind of liquid glass on top of it?

Steve
Old 06-26-2018, 11:17 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Use a dirty silver (metallic combined with black) Then when that is absolutely dry use Tamiya clear green. Once that is dry I use a little bit of clear epoxy to create the glass block
Old 06-26-2018, 12:13 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

If you dremmel them out there is a product made by microscale for gluing windows and it will actually make windows about this size. I used it on all my sherman windows. You dab some on a toothpick and run it around the edge till the whole perimeter is coated, then get a new glob on the toothpick and start in a corner and pull it across to the other side. This makes a white film cover the hole. It then dries clear and looks awesome.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Desertrat99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just paint them with transparent blue paint.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:21 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm a fan of having actual clear pieces - means more work, but I think it looks better. I got Chris Ludwig to CNC cut vision blocks for me - both for my M41 & M26 - different sizes - M41 Post, Reply 111 - Project 2 - M41A1 AVRNZE Cont'd - the M26 Post, Reply 66 to Reply 70 - M26A1 - If you're doing a Tamiya cupola, the measurement is slightly larger, but don't recall the measurement, think it was 1mm larger.

Mal
Old 06-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Panzer222

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
If you dremmel them out there is a product made by microscale for gluing windows and it will actually make windows about this size. I used it on all my sherman windows. You dab some on a toothpick and run it around the edge till the whole perimeter is coated, then get a new glob on the toothpick and start in a corner and pull it across to the other side. This makes a white film cover the hole. It then dries clear and looks awesome.
yep’ Microscales Krystal Klear is a easy product to use and while not exactly perfectly clear sure beats trying to cut and fit windows that size,especially in multiple’s....
Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
maillemaker

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How strong is the Krystal Klear? Like if your finger presses against it when picking up the tank will it crush it inwards?

Steve
Old 06-27-2018, 03:10 PM
Panzer222

Yes it would be fairly delicate,just like all models you need to be careful how you handle them.remember their most likely plastic models not cinder blocks.lol
Old 06-29-2018, 07:39 PM
TheBennyB

Use to do it in the old days by just cutting up some old exposed film laying around to fit periscope housing. If you have some still, try it out.