Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/16th RC Cheiftain Pre Production Prototype shots.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16th RC Cheiftain Pre Production Prototype shots.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:46 AM
Majordisastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/16th RC Cheiftain Pre Production Prototype shots.

A bit of news to share with you all.

Andrew Guo of Haya UK has been talking to members of RCTR among others about the possibility of launching a new model. He has been working on a 1/16th scale Chieftain MKIII, and has just reached the pre-production stage.
This model will have a correct shape lower hull and pro-typical suspension. An an accurate upper hull and turret. The running gear will be based on a Horstman style of suspension unit with opposed HL suspension arms with Challenger wheels.
Tracks will be Walker Bulldog but put on backwards to more accurately represent the Chieftian style track, surprisingly this looks "right" on the model. Even the Walker Bulldog drive wheels are not a million miles out either.
RCTR have asked Andrew if it's possible to include some sort of built in track tensioning system as this is a known weakness on a lot of the 1/16 scale model tanks out there. So feel free to post up any constructive comments or observations.

Please remember this model is only in the prototype/development stages even though it's on Andrews Site as a pre order. Depending on the level of interest we in the hobby show will play a major part of if this model ever goes into full production.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050569.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	941.1 KB
ID:	2261720   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050570.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1,012.0 KB
ID:	2261721   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050571.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2261722  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Majordisastor

Some more to share..

Name:	P1050574.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1,009.7 KB
ID:	2261723   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050575.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1,006.4 KB
ID:	2261724   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050527.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1,013.1 KB
ID:	2261725   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050563.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2261726  
Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Majordisastor

some more again

Name:	P1050513.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2261727   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050512.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2261728   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050510.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	942.6 KB
ID:	2261729   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050528.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	998.5 KB
ID:	2261730  
Old 08-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

What does RCTR stand for?
Old 08-24-2018, 01:48 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Believe its RC Tank Regiment. http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctankforum/index.php
Old 08-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Majordisastor

Thats correct thank you Derek .

My mistake.

Andy
Old 08-25-2018, 06:53 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Wow looks promising.
Is it going to be 3d printed, urethane cast or full on injection molded?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Longsheep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will order the basic kit once it is available. Having built Chris's Centurion, the Horstmann suspension is surprisingly well-suited for 1/16.
It outruns all other tanks off-road. Great suspension travel.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:17 AM
Majordisastor

The plan is to have it produced as an injection moulded run. I believe arrangements are being discussed at the moment.

The 3d printing is used for the prototype only.

The Haya Horstmann suspension design is interesting as the arm and wheels are Heng Long items. so its parts can be replaced cheaply if you need to.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:30 AM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by Majordisastor
The plan is to have it produced as an injection moulded run. I believe arrangements are being discussed at the moment.

The 3d printing is used for the prototype only.
The Haya Horstmann suspension design is interesting as the arm and wheels are Heng Long items. so its parts can be replaced cheaply if you need to.
It is a good time to order injection modeling now, business isn't great in China with the trade war and those molding factories are willing to do for less.
Chris's Centurion uses existing parts too, metal PZIII suspension from the MATO model but require softer coil springs to work properly. Can be cast or CNC with enough orders - it is a basic shape.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:33 AM
Majordisastor

Interesting .. looks like it going the right way for a change !
Old 08-27-2018, 03:15 AM
Crius

It looks like a really good tank, and it would make an excellent addition to my collection, but I was minorly involved with the recent hubbub at rctw concerning Haya and I'm still not sure if I'll ever buy anything from them again.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:25 AM
Majordisastor

Originally Posted by Crius
It looks like a really good tank, and it would make an excellent addition to my collection, but I was minorly involved with the recent hubbub at rctw concerning Haya and I'm still not sure if I'll ever buy anything from them again.
Well Crius -the thread and fallout over on rctw has all been done and dusted over there with no issue against Haya.

No point commenting further on it over here.

It is an attractive model - its your money and your decision to buy or not to buy from any vendor of course, the main thing is that we all focus on enjoying our hobby as best we can.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by Crius
Did you follow the drama? Haya is cleared of any accusation after the folks at RCTW issued apology for the copying claim.
They are not even that similar at the first place and Haya started the Chieftain way earlier. It is too easy to pick up a pitchfork and witch hunt on the internet.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:34 AM
Crius

Major Disastor, you are absolutely right. The main thing is to enjoy our Hobby. For me one of the things that takes that enjoyment away is having to deal with a difficult vendor. Not to say that Haya is difficult, I dealt with them once before with no problem, but that was only a $15 order for a decal sheet. Before I spend $800 on a tank I need to know that the vendor is someone I'm comfortable with.

Longsheep, I did follow the drama, and you have one thing wrong. It was not rctw itself that issued the apology, it was Alwyn Turner, the man who made the original accusatory post. My problem was Haya's reaction. Their reaction was, first to call the lawyers, and second, to post on the Forum and say that they wanted a written apology from Alwyn Turner, rctw itself, and from every member that had posted in the thread. Had they simply come on the Forum and said hey Alwin, I'm afraid you're mistaken, these are not your designs and we can show you that, I would have had a lot more respect for them. The fact that their first instinct was to run to the lawyers made me very uncomfortable and very unlikely to buy anything from them in the future. Others are free to do as they choose, and this is only my opinion. And we all know about opinions, they're like butts, everybody's got one and most of them stink.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 AM
Majordisastor

Lets try to stay focused on the tank model first and foremost.

I was trying to stop the whole episode from spilling out onto the rc universe forum pages.

The issue was not so much Alwyn Turners mistaken response to the Cheiftain post but the fact that he chose to make his accusations in the public domain instead of privately contacting Haya and discussing it away from the spotlight.

The issue was further compounded by an outbreak of key board warrior syndrome from a group of forum members who were damming in their comments to say the least.

Legal action was used as Haya's name and reputation were being unfairly called into question.

Its never pleasant to be on the receiving end of such an unmoderated stack of hostile posts - even more so when its your business that might suffer as a result of trying to bring out a new model to the marketplace.

The legal action in my mind was fully justified in my view as it serves as a reminder that when we are sitting closeted in the comfort of our own little internet bubble there are still consequences from the hasty use of a keyboard.

Apologies were made by all - but some could not resist a rather petulant addition to their response by stating - we will never buy from you in the future. Its rather juvenile and serves the hobby no good at all.

Back to the tanks..
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 AM
tankme

The only thing I will say is that a business has to vigilantly defend it's property or a court will rip that intellectual property from them. Any delay in defending one's intellectual property can be construed by the courts as permission to use it.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by Majordisastor
Lets try to stay focused on the tank model first and foremost.

I was trying to stop the whole episode from spilling out onto the rc universe forum pages.

The issue was not so much Alwyn Turners mistaken response to the Cheiftain post but the fact that he chose to make his accusations in the public domain instead of privately contacting Haya and discussing it away from the spotlight.

The issue was further compounded by an outbreak of key board warrior syndrome from a group of forum members who were damming in their comments to say the least.

Legal action was used as Haya's name and reputation were being unfairly called into question.

Its never pleasant to be on the receiving end of such an unmoderated stack of hostile posts - even more so when its your business that might suffer as a result of trying to bring out a new model to the marketplace.

The legal action in my mind was fully justified in my view as it serves as a reminder that when we are sitting closeted in the comfort of our own little internet bubble there are still consequences from the hasty use of a keyboard.

Apologies were made by all - but some could not resist a rather petulant addition to their response by stating - we will never buy from you in the future. Its rather juvenile and serves the hobby no good at all.

Back to the tanks..
Exactly. If I ever get into position like Haya, I would have done the same.
There are subs in Reddit dedicated to "sharing" bad product and stuff, and the members there witch-hunt everything regardless of reasoning, source and facts.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Apparently now available, though limited production - https://www.hayaltd.co.uk/index.aspx...rodid=18239069 -
Videos show searchlight operates too.

Mal
Old 08-30-2019, 08:53 PM
tankme

I pre-ordered one. I like tanks that are less mainstream...
Old 08-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Watch the YouTube video on the preorder links above. Looks like it is being produced by Heng Long or at least is using all Heng Long sourced parts. That’s not a bad thing in my book and far better then limited run 3D printed copies. What it means is we should be seeing this tank offered under the Heng Long or Taigen brand names shortly here in the states at a lower cost vs buying from the UK and paying the high shipping.

Something interesting is if you look closely the plastic version uses M41 tracks. This means easy to find spare tracks and a good chance the sprockets can be changed out to run different tracks of more modern designs.

Since I am a sucker for “Cold War” era tanks and enjoy tweaking them with modern upgrades I will be pre ordering one ASAP.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 08-30-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:45 PM
tankme

Well with them taking 50 pounds off for the pre-order and adding the soldiers valued at 50 pounds I think the discount and extras offset the shipping IMO. I ordered the version with metal tracks.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:18 PM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
Watch the YouTube video on the preorder links above. Looks like it is being produced by Heng Long or at least is using all Heng Long sourced parts. That’s not a bad thing in my book and far better then limited run 3D printed copies. What it means is we should be seeing this tank offered under the Heng Long or Taigen brand names shortly here in the states at a lower cost vs buying from the UK and paying the high shipping.

Something interesting is if you look closely the plastic version uses M41 tracks. This means easy to find spare tracks and a good chance the sprockets can be changed out to run different tracks of more modern designs.

Since I am a sucker for “Cold War” era tanks and enjoy tweaking them with modern upgrades I will be pre ordering one ASAP.
Heng Long has offered to produce limited runs of models for its regional distributors upon request.
That doesn't mean it will be open for general retail afterward, as I have heard from the Taiwanese group, which planned to do a M60A3 but later cancelled due to various reasons. The designer (Haya) owns the CAD not HL.

They have promised to ship it with authentic Chieftain tracks. It is similar but still quite different from HL's M41 track.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:24 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Longsheep
Heng Long has offered to produce limited runs of models for its regional distributors upon request.
That doesn't mean it will be open for general retail afterward, as I have heard from the Taiwanese group, which planned to do a M60A3 but later cancelled due to various reasons. The designer (Haya) owns the CAD not HL.

They have promised to ship it with authentic Chieftain tracks. It is similar but still quite different from HL's M41 track.
Haya might own the original CAD but the injection molds for production are what matters. That is where the true expense and investment is at, who controls them controls what ultimately happens. One thing is for sure and the Chinese do well is copy regardless of copyrights. Time will tell but I am will to bet it will be available soon after under the HL brand name.

The M60 of which very few were sold I believe less then ten worldwide (only 2 in the US) and the fact that they would have to turn the design over to HL to produce the injection molds $$$$ killed that deal. Its quite expensive to bring a new RC model to the market and if Haya has that kind of $$$$$$ to invest on a small production volume without a partner great.

Either way I am pre ordering one regardless. It’s a cool tank and once all the stock electronics are replaced should be a fun tank to battle.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:11 AM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by Fsttanks

Haya might own the original CAD but the injection molds for production are what matters. That is where the true expense and investment is at, who controls them controls what ultimately happens. One thing is for sure and the Chinese do well is copy regardless of copyrights. Time will tell but I am will to bet it will be available soon after under the HL brand name.

The M60 of which very few were sold I believe less then ten worldwide (only 2 in the US) and the fact that they would have to turn the design over to HL to produce the injection molds $$$$ killed that deal. Its quite expensive to bring a new RC model to the market and if Haya has that kind of $$$$$$ to invest on a small production volume without a partner great.

Either way I am pre ordering one regardless. It’s a cool tank and once all the stock electronics are replaced should be a fun tank to battle.

Yes Andrew supposedly owns the molding too, it would be silly to do otherwise. I arrange to outsource the molding design and production for my company from China as part of my job, so I know the costs for a metal mold for ABS/PS (my company closed down its factory a while ago). Andrew is Chinese and should know the "game" well enough. HL has a history of screwing with its distributors.

The M60 I talk about isn't even known internationally. It isn't OKMO/DKLM 3D print, but a full injection model planned by the main Taiwanese HL distributor. It just got cancelled due to difficulty in production (and Waltherson's plan to make one after the T-72). It started as a rivalry to OKMO M60, so no there is no collaboration between the two. If you are looking for a M60 and not in a hurry, Waltherson will make one to pair with the T-72.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.