Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Wpl military truck dual wheels question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wpl military truck dual wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 07:46 AM
robertalan51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wpl military truck dual wheels question

Hi, is there a way to make duallys for the wpl trucks without having to be forced to buy them for $33 on Ebay? anyone else making them cheaper? does sectioning the tires really work? Thanks, Rob
Old 08-27-2018, 01:29 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm making dual rims on the 3D printer, but they're sized for the aftermarket tires from tank modellbau.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

how much will your rims be i want to do a truck with dauls on the back do you have a pic yet Gary
Old 09-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Crius

I was thinking about $1.25 USD for each rim, and the same for each tire. Do you guys think that's unreasonable? I paid $3.00 for just one tire from tank modellbau, so i was thinking $2.50 for a tire and rim would be OK, but I'm open to comments and suggestions. A complete set for a ten wheel truck would be $25 plus postage. I think that's a bit high. Maybe a bargain for a whole set? $20 for enough tires and rims to do a deuce and a half?

And Greg, you can get a good look at the tires and rims here, skip ahead to about 2:00 for a good shot.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i think thats pretty good, looking nice Gary

Last edited by Airbrushler; 09-03-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:06 AM
robertalan51

Gary, I sure would like to order a tire and wheel set for a deuce and a half. Let me know how to make this happen. Thanks, Rob
Old 09-03-2018, 07:14 AM
Crius

The plan is to run out this spool of TPU and see what I need, and the rest I'll offer for sale, but this will take quite a while. Each tire takes 4 and a half hours to print, and with the spare you need 11 tires, so that's almost 50 hours of print time, not counting cooling and restarting between tires. And then there's the rims, about another seven hours for those. So far only Painless Wolf, Airbrushler and you, Robert, have asked, so you three are on the top of the list. But like I said, it will be quite a while, at least two or three weeks before all the tires are printed.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

You need to make it 11 tires and wheels. They will want a spare tire. I would like a set too Gary. $25 plus postage for a set of 11 sounds like a good deal to me. .

Here is a picture of Gary's 3d printed tires and wheels.
I panted them in NATO green and coated them with a layer of clear finger nail polish to defuse the 3d printing texture. It will take a few more coats of polish.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

There is a two part piece on "U" Tube that shows how to make "Dual Wheels",
I cannot find it at the moment but perhaps typing "WPL DUAL WHEELS" might get you there.
It is an easy and cheap fix if I remember correctly.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Crius

This might be the video you're talking about, Shaun

But I think I like Ex Pat Tanker's design better. I like what you've done, too, Paco, and I can't wait to see more. Of course, I hope guys will remember that these are not "my" tires and rims, they were designed by Martin (Ex Pat Tanker) and I'd be nowhere without his help. He's been extremely generous with his hard work and shares it with just about anyone that asks. So thanks again, Martin, you really are the kind of guy that makes our hobby better for us all.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

That's the vid I watched. I don't like the idea of glue holding my tire halves together. My tanks and trucks play in the real world getting mud, snow and sand everywhere. I won't accept a failure during combat due to glue giving out. Martin's design is bomber, and looks so very much better than the sectioned WPL tires, to me there is no other choice. I want enough to do (2) 6X6 trucks and (1) 4X4. That should do for now.

YES!! Thank you Martin for sharing your design. Come to Colorado and I will buy you a beer.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

How are the tyres gripping the inner rims Gary? My last set came out a little loose...

Pah, If I ever make it out there for a FRAG battle day, I will take you up on that beer (I'll likely need it after the 10 hour flight!). Until then keep up with the video's as I don't have any where near the space or scenary here that you do
Old 09-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Crius

I've had a couple that seemed a bit loose, but I have a bottle of loctite 410 and a few drops of that around the inside of the rim before I put the tires on fixes the problem nicely.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:12 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

That's the one Gary,
I had the same thought about longevity and when the pennies build up I shall be in the Market for 3D printed Rims,
Nice tip about the Loctite,
Right now I have 2 PZ4s on the work bench as well as 3 different trucks in various states of build so there is no priority.
Shaun.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:55 AM
Crius

Shaun, when you get ready for rims you might be better off contacting Wayne. I can do them, but the postage costs across the puddle would be outrageous.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 AM
thedonut

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here;s my attempt at printing some wheels and tires for my truck.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Crius

That looks really good, especially the hex nuts. What kind of printer are you using?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:02 AM
thedonut

Originally Posted by Crius
That looks really good, especially the hex nuts. What kind of printer are you using?
I'm using a Peopoly Moai SLA printer -- https://peopoly.net/
Old 09-10-2018, 08:23 AM
Crius

SLA explains a lot. I still can't believe what great detail they get. So how do you like the printer? Did you get it as a kit? Was it easy to put together? Is it as messy and stinky as they say? Do you have a lot of waste? I've been looking at SLA printers but I've been holding off hoping that they'll come down in price. The video at your link said that kit is about $1,000, which is pretty good for an SLA printer but still a little bit out of my reach. Hopefully they'll go the same way as computers and the bed size will double and the price will decrease by half every year. Hey, one can dream.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 AM
thedonut

Originally Posted by Crius
SLA explains a lot. I still can't believe what great detail they get. So how do you like the printer? Did you get it as a kit? Was it easy to put together? Is it as messy and stinky as they say? Do you have a lot of waste? I've been looking at SLA printers but I've been holding off hoping that they'll come down in price. The video at your link said that kit is about $1,000, which is pretty good for an SLA printer but still a little bit out of my reach. Hopefully they'll go the same way as computers and the bed size will double and the price will decrease by half every year. Hey, one can dream.
1. I like the printer very much. My FDM printer is hardly used now except for big parts that don't need precision.
2. Yes, got it as a kit. Assembly was very straightforward.
3. No, it's not as messy and stinky as I was led to believe when I was still evaluating what to buy. Go check out their Facebook page and see what actual owners are saying. As for me, whatever necessary steps are needed (rinsing and curing) is more than made up for by the quality of the output.
4. Not much waste as the resin just stays in the vat and can be returned to its bottle/container. The only thing I can think of as "waste" is having to print supports.
5. Hey, it's cheaper than what a Tamiya tank goes for these days :-). Seriously, if this had been my first printer, I probably wouldn't have bought an FDM printer. GO FOR IT!
Old 02-27-2020, 12:35 AM
sourekv

Default nice work

Originally Posted by thedonut
Here;s my attempt at printing some wheels and tires for my truck.

Hello, would you be so kind to share or trade your design?
Thanks
Vlada